How to adjust parallax on Leupold scope - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 05-12-2021, 08:28 AM
NoSecondBest
US Navy Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (20)
How to adjust parallax on Leupold scope

I know Iíve seen it on here in the past, but I canít find it today. Can anyone post a link to adjusting parallax on a Leupold scope? I bought a Leupold rimfire scope (4xx28mm) that Iím going to put on an Encore centerfire barrel. Right now itís set for 60 yards and Iíd like to move it to 150 yards. It might be OK at 60 yds, but I think it would be better a bit further out. Itís not a target scope, itís going on a gun for deer, elk, bear, etc where the shots could be out to 200 yards give or take a bit. Before anyone says it canít be used on a centerfire, a call to Leupold confirmed itís just as strong as any scope they make and recoil wonít be a problem. In fact, itís OK for a springer air rifle.
Old 05-12-2021, 09:07 AM
gmd1950
US Air Force Veteran Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (30)
Don't think I've done a Leupold but the process should be the same, loosen the dew ring on the front of the scope with a strap wrench. If the lenses turns with the dew ring forget it, not apt to work, if it doesn't turn continue to loosen and remove the dew ring. This should expose the front lenses carrier (often with two opposing notches in the outer ring) find a target/object at your selected distance and turn the ring until it comes in sharp focus. Put the dew ring back in place. Proceed at your own risk/not the advice of a professional and all that. YMMV
Old 05-12-2021, 09:36 AM

TPC Rating: 
100% (5)
Try this

https://www.rimfirecentral.com/forum...ad.php?t=94809

Try this. I attempted to do this on a inexpensive scope I had sitting around, did not turn out well. Might work great on the one you have.

Chuck40219
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-12-2021, 04:55 PM
dvang

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
I use 2 strap wrenches if its hard to get the front cap end off.

Then adjust parallax at a known distance. Clockwise when facing scope end your adjusting to adjust farther distance i think. Its been a while.
Old 05-12-2021, 06:07 PM
David Valdina
US Marines Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

Barefoot Bay, Florida and Cape Cod, Massachusetts
TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Buy another scope.

If your Leupold 4x scope is an older one in gloss finish and in great shape, please leave it as is. It will sell for enough for you to get a Leupold scope with the centerfire default parallax setting. I have a Leupold Vari-X III 1.75-6XE x32 mm with a duplex reticle and I suggest you try and find one of those to buy, they are about as perfect a scope for your purposes as you will find. The 3-9x is pretty common and should do as well. There are 130 used Leupold scopes on Gunbroker.com and as Leupold gives a life time warranty, it is pretty safe buying a used scope. But Leupold will, or at least used to, change the parallax for you. Last time I had it done was many years ago and cost $60.
Old 05-12-2021, 07:00 PM
NoSecondBest

TPC Rating: 
100% (20)
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Valdina View Post
If your Leupold 4x scope is an older one in gloss finish and in great shape, please leave it as is. It will sell for enough for you to get a Leupold scope with the centerfire default parallax setting. I have a Leupold Vari-X III 1.75-6XE x32 mm with a duplex reticle and I suggest you try and find one of those to buy, they are about as perfect a scope for your purposes as you will find. The 3-9x is pretty common and should do as well. There are 130 used Leupold scopes on Gunbroker.com and as Leupold gives a life time warranty, it is pretty safe buying a used scope. But Leupold will, or at least used to, change the parallax for you. Last time I had it done was many years ago and cost $60.
Leupold no longer adjusts parallax on scopes. I have a number of Leupold scopes on hand right now but the problem is twofold: eye relief and length. I canít get my thumb under any of them to cock the hammer even with a hammer extension (TC Encore in 358 Win). Eye relief because the 358 Win isnít something you can sneak up on and get away with it. Even my 4Ē ER hit me on the nose bridge the other day. This scope has 4.5Ē of ER, and itís only 8Ē long. Plenty of room for my thumb. Itís perfect for the gun except it might need a bit more parallax adjustment. Iím quite familiar with Leupold, have been for over fifty years.
Old 05-12-2021, 07:37 PM
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Have you tried it as it is? At 4 X , parallax doesnít come much into play for me.
Old 05-12-2021, 08:23 PM
David Valdina

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Life is compromise ... higher rings maybe ?

All of life is compromise. Maybe higher rings ? Won't have the nice low profile and maybe not as much cheek weld, but your thumb will get under it. Trying to think outside the box. Best wishes with whatever route you take.
Old 05-12-2021, 08:41 PM
Al the Infidel
US Marines Disabled American Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmd1950 View Post
Don't think I've done a Leupold but the process should be the same, loosen the dew ring on the front of the scope with a strap wrench. If the lenses turns with the dew ring forget it, not apt to work, if it doesn't turn continue to loosen and remove the dew ring. This should expose the front lenses carrier (often with two opposing notches in the outer ring) find a target/object at your selected distance and turn the ring until it comes in sharp focus. Put the dew ring back in place. Proceed at your own risk/not the advice of a professional and all that. YMMV
This^ however I had to use 2 rubber straps wrenches to loosen the Leupolds I've done as every one of em were quite securely tightened down from the factory. I adjusted mine for shorter distances.
Old 05-13-2021, 02:14 PM
NoSecondBest

TPC Rating: 
100% (20)
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Valdina View Post
All of life is compromise. Maybe higher rings ? Won't have the nice low profile and maybe not as much cheek weld, but your thumb will get under it. Trying to think outside the box. Best wishes with whatever route you take.
I did my homework by calling Leupold and asking them if this scope was up to the task on a centerfire rifle. Their answer was that it was built as strong as any scope they make and would be no problem at all on the 358 Win. I actually went out and advertised that I wanted this scope in particular and found someone in Idaho who’d sell me his. This wasn’t a spur of the moment decision on my part. I’m not complaining about any suggestions you’ve made, but they aren’t in line with what I was trying to accomplish. I’d planned on trying the parallax at its current setting, and I believe that it probably won’t make much, if any difference on deer sized animals out to two hundred yards. FWIW, Leupold used to make a larger variety of fixed power scopes and they were shorter and lighter than the variable power models everyone wants now days. For this rifle in this caliber, this is appropriate for this gun. It’s a bit of a thumper and the added eye relief is very welcome also.

Last edited by NoSecondBest; 05-13-2021 at 02:16 PM.
Old 05-13-2021, 02:22 PM
David Valdina

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Me thinks you ain't understanding ...

Me thinks you ain't understanding what I wrote. I said nothing about the ability of the scope for use on a centerfire rifle. I am very familiar with these scopes and their strengths. My suggestion about having taller scope mount bases/rings was to think of a way you would have the clearance for your thumb. By the way, some of the scopes they made which were short in length would not allow the spacing necessary for the rings to mount on some rifles. The E in the one I mentioned is to signify it is the longer version that addresses that problem. One last suggestion, go mount and shoot your scope on your rifle, doing the bast you can to introduce error due to the parallax setting and see how bad it is. Depending what you hunt it may not make any practical difference. Good luck, David
Old 05-25-2021, 03:06 AM
Discontinued

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I actually did this with a Leupold Fixed 4 power it worked ok but then using it at longer distance's the parallax was was off as was the focus, in the end I reset it. back to factory settings.