Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 05-12-2020, 10:36 AM
cl_leg

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Cooper 57m CC - Tight Bolt

First try out with my Custom Classic and the bolt doesn't run very smooth. It is "chattering" as it is disengaged and reengaged. I find the machining has left some sharp edges and cutting into the bolt body. Can I assume the bolt body is a softer material then the reciever? Will this break in? Or do I need to "dress" or "break the sharp edges"?

Old 05-12-2020, 11:31 AM
US Army Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Seems like it would break in eventually, but you could at the least break that sharp edge with some very fine (600-800 grit) or finer wet or dry sandpaper or a very fine round stone with just a few very careful strokes and try it until you are able to reduce the chattering. Once it's broken, you can put some lapping compound on the bolt and run it in and out a couple hundred times to polish the rails until it gets smooth. Then be sure to wipe all of the compound off everything, bolt, rails, and any nooks and crannies it gets into.

I'm pretty surprised this made it through Coopers QC...
Old 05-12-2020, 02:26 PM
drover
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (21)
I would be on the phone with Cooper about this issue, that is not acceptable for the price they charge for their firearms. They should provide you a pre-paid return shipping label and fix this for you.

drover
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-13-2020, 02:31 PM
cl_leg

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I have contacted Cooper about this issue. Unfortuanley for me I am the second owner and the warranty has expired. I am also in Canada and importing/exporting for a warrantee may be costly.
They did however get back to me the next day and offered three suggestions. Send it back at my expense, send it to a known to them gun smith in Canada and call them to discuss. I thought that was good of them.
I deal with a machine shop that deals in small highly detailed parts. I will ask them for an opinion.
Old 05-14-2020, 02:37 AM
SavagePlinker

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
You could keep the bolt well oiled and just shoot it in. Or you could goop it up with lapping compound and work it a few hundred times.
Old 05-14-2020, 02:35 PM
HUSHKABOOM
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (62)
I would dress and break the sharp edges. Then either shoot it a lot or work the bolt hundreds of times while watching hockey games on TV. Move bolt around and side load a little while working it. It will soon run smooth and shoot straight.
Old 05-15-2020, 06:40 AM
Triggershoe
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (10)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cl_leg View Post
I have contacted Cooper about this issue. Unfortuanley for me I am the second owner and the warranty has expired. I am also in Canada and importing/exporting for a warrantee may be costly.
They did however get back to me the next day and offered three suggestions. Send it back at my expense, send it to a known to them gun smith in Canada and call them to discuss. I thought that was good of them.
I deal with a machine shop that deals in small highly detailed parts. I will ask them for an opinion.
I find this very sad that Cooper does not offer to fix this free of charge, especially in view of what these rifles cost. I didn't realize that their warranty expired on WORKMANSHIP! Clearly, this IS a workmanship issue and it should have been addressed before it ever left their facility. Unless that knife edge is properly broken (SMALL chamfer) I'm afraid that bolt will continue to dig in and further mark the bolt. You could "break it" carefully (that edge..) with a small half-round stone, creating a small chamfer. It won't take much... Lacking a suitable stone, some 320 or 400 grit wet/dry sandpaper wrapped around a wooden dowel, and worked carefully over that edge will suffice as well. Perhaps touch up with a cold blue "pen" if necessary. If no satisfaction from Cooper, that's what I would do with it. FWIW.
Old 05-15-2020, 04:45 PM
SavagePlinker

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Triggershoe View Post
I find this very sad that Cooper does not offer to fix this free of charge, especially in view of what these rifles cost. I didn't realize that their warranty expired on WORKMANSHIP! Clearly, this IS a workmanship issue and it should have been addressed before it ever left their facility. Unless that knife edge is properly broken (SMALL chamfer) I'm afraid that bolt will continue to dig in and further mark the bolt. You could "break it" carefully (that edge..) with a small half-round stone, creating a small chamfer. It won't take much... Lacking a suitable stone, some 320 or 400 grit wet/dry sandpaper wrapped around a wooden dowel, and worked carefully over that edge will suffice as well. Perhaps touch up with a cold blue "pen" if necessary. If no satisfaction from Cooper, that's what I would do with it. FWIW.
I think that is a good way to deal with that sharp edge, but that edge on the action is not causing the chattering as the bolt is away from there.

I'd talk to a machinist but I'm pretty sure they are going to tell you to just work it with abrasive compound. I have some Brownell's sells and use it frequently. It takes many cycles to work but the bolt will be smooth as glass when you are done.