Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

ruger convertible questions

2K views 14 replies 14 participants last post by  rustic bob 
#1 ·
Well heres for those that HAVE.

Have you found it worth the hassle of the extra cylinder to be able to fire a semi auto cartridge in your revolver?

And with the 9mm, is the accuracy ANYTHING at all worth writing home about?

I discovered the "joy" of watching the shotgun like pattern of Winchester using 9mm bullets to create their 38 special 130 grain fmj ammunition.

#2 ·
I found the 9mm FMJ or SJHP commercial ammunition fired through the .357 magnum/9 mm convertible Ruger Blackhawk to be substantially less accurate than the same 9mm ammunition fired through an appropriate internal bore sized barrel. However, for old hot loaded corrosive military surplus submachine gun ammo plinking purposes the somewhat shotgun pattern inspired accuracy was acceptable. Also, the Blackhawk is a lot easier to fully clean after firing corrosive ammunition.

#3 ·
As above, that's been my experience with shooting the 9mm in a 357 Blackhawk Flat top Convertible. Accuracy with the 9mm was at least good enough for fun, recreational shooting, but not even close to what I could get with 38s and, especially, the 357, in that particular gun.

On the other hand, I also had a 45 Colt/45 ACP Blackhawk convertible and accuracy with the 45 ACP was outstanding, right there with my best 1911s and, of course, the 45 Colt was also very accurate. This one turned out to be a much more useful gun for my shooting.

#4 ·
I don't reload for the Ruger, but I do reload. When searching for bullets, I am careful to make sure that the 9mm (.354-.356) don't get mixed with the .357's. I don't think you'd get as good a gas seal in the bore. Don't want them 9's rattling down the barrel and leadding/coppering things up. In general, I would consider a lead bullet that was .001 fatter than needed, but not .001 thinner, if that makes any sense. That said, it may depend on your barrel's actual width. I'd slug it and measure, if you can.

#5 ·
I have one of the 357 / 9mm convertibles. As stated by the other posters, you won't find accuracy with the 9mm.
My bore slugged .3575, and the 9mm's are .355-.356. That makes for leading / fouling, and some wobble in the bore. I reload, and only shoot the 357 cylinder with cast .358's out of mine, and it is very accurate.
The Blackhawk 45 convertible is another story. With cast 45 acp, they can be very accurate.

#6 ·
Go for it

I've got the 357/9mm version. I only shoot factory ammo, I haven't taken the plunge into reloading yet. I have the stainless version and I bought it just for the ease of use. It is not a target pistol, but that's not why I bought it. A lot of it will depend on the ammo you use. My M&P shield will shoot a nice 12ga pattern with Remington ammo and so does the Blackhawk. Expensive defensive ammo shoots good in both however so make sure you find some ammo it likes. I don't use the 9mm cylinder that much but when we go out to the farm it's nice to be able to grab one type of ammo that will work in several guns. It is more than accurate enough to help us take out the 2 liter infestation we usually have to deal with.

#7 ·
Handloader magazine #313/april 2018 did an article on the lipsey's ruger vaquero. At the end of the day everything shot low @ 25yds. 9mm's were +/- 12" low with a lot of the test loads missing the the target (to low).

It isn't what the bbl slugs that counts. It's what size the cylinder throats are. When the cylinder throats are smaller in diameter than the bbl, bad things happen.

I reload my own 9mm's along with casting/coating my own bullets. I size the 9mm bullets to .358" for 3 different firearms chambered in 9mm. I also use those same bullets in my 38spl's & 357's.

#8 ·
i like the concept of convertibles be it CF or RF conversions.

they may not be accurate and for some thats the all important thing. Thats fine for them. Then there are some that it must be 100000000000000% functional and again thats fine for them.

I just like them and the concept.

#9 ·
I discovered the "joy" of watching the shotgun like pattern of Winchester using 9mm bullets to create their 38 special 130 grain fmj ammunition.
And now I know why the Winchester white box 130's are so lame. So glad I didn't buy that second box of them. Now going back to the Federal wadcutters that were amazingly accurate.
Getting back into Centerfire Revolvers, re-learning curve ... Thank You MM !

#11 ·

Have you found it worth the hassle of the extra cylinder to be able to fire a semi auto cartridge in your revolver?

Answer to question #1. Yes it's worth the hassle.

Answer to question #2. Pertaining to my 6" Blackhawk and shooting it from a rest: With MagTec 115gr FMJ it prints 3" 50 round groups at 25 yards. With Mag Tec 125gr JSP it prints 4" 50 round groups at same distance. It's at least this semi-preppers first choice for a grab and go firearm.

#12 · (Edited)
I have a 45ACP/LC convertible and all I shoot is 45 ACP due to ammo cost. My accuracy is around 2" at 25 yards for 5 shots. That is better than many non-convertible ruger revolvers. And the limited shooting I did with 45LC was not quite as accurate as with ACP! I do not relaod and only try couple brands of each type. In 45 ACP, I ended up with Federal aluminum case from Walmart. Cheap cheap and shoots good. I use it to shoot steel plates.

I did read with interest some of the 9mm feedback. I wonder about those. The situation with Ruger, these are not high end guns. The fit, finish and performance will vary. That last post with 3" 50 shot groups was darn good. Other reports not so good. Reports here and elsewhere. My 45 is all I could ask for. Some times you have to pay your money and take a chance.

I have had universal poor results with white box Winchester in all my guns. Poor being relative. I always found some comparable price alternative that would do better. That is both 9mm and 45 in multiple 1911 variants.

My buddy is waiting and hoping for Ruger or Lipsey to offer the SP101 4" stainless in 9mm only. It is all about the ammo cost. Nice fiber sights too. I have no idea if it will ever happen. The current 2 1/2 in barrel 101 in 9mm makes no sense at all. The Blackhawk makes for a good 45, maybe a bit large in 9mm - or so he feels. I have no opinion there really. I did note the 101 had a small grip and I use oversize rubber grips on the Blackhawks. Sorry - drifting OT here.

#14 ·

from my experince with conversions is that if you get accuracy, you are lucky.

i will buy the conversions for novelty and cool factor.

#15 ·
I had one Blackhawk 9mm/.357 convertible that was terribly inaccurate with the 9mm. Sold it because of other issues. Recently bough a stainless flat top. The 9mm is almost as accurate as the .357, I am very pleased with it. The 9mm ammo is FMJ Remington. I like having the convertible just because it shoots two different types of pistol ammo, which could be handy in a pinch.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.