Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 06-16-2021, 12:32 PM
whiplash

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Remington 270 deal

So a coffee buddy this morning offered to sell me his stainless, plastic stock Remingtion 270. Would that be a Remington Seven 270 (my guess)?

He's hunted with it and says that maybe it's been shot 45 times. He is clean and takes good care of what he has. He has stopped hunting and I've yet to start.

He's including the mounted scope, 10 box of 270 ammo and a zipper gun case for $550. Sounds like a good deal for family and friends.

He mentioned it to his son who did not jump on it so he offered it to me. If you think it's a great deal I might get it. It would be a nice to have and not a got to have. Don't really want this to be where he mentioned it to his son and then sold it to me. Hopefully he'll check with his son again.
Old 06-16-2021, 12:36 PM
sav99fan
US Air Force NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
So it's a synthetic stainless 700. Could be an ADL but it could be an sps. If I read that correctly and it's 10 boxes of ammo you are getting a 500 dollar rifle for 300. The scope could sweeten the deal or be of little value. Either way it should be an awesome hunting workhorse of a rifle.
Old 06-16-2021, 01:41 PM
Bullet Bob
US Air Force Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Could be a 700, 770, or other Remington's I don't remember (783?). Without know what it is, it would be hard to put a number on it.

Even within the 700 variations, there'sa lot of difference in value.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-16-2021, 02:09 PM
gewehrfreund
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (42)

As usual, the devil's in the details, which, I find, are often lacking.
Old 06-16-2021, 02:39 PM
B23
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
As has already been mentioned there's quite a few unknown variables to this question that need to be known before someone can give you any kind of effective answer.

Two of the biggest questions I'd want to know before putting any kind of value on this is

1) Is this a 270 Win or 270 WSM? Knowing that will somewhat help narrow down which model it could be.

2) Which base model is this. Is it a Remington model 700, model seven, model 770 or model 783? Whiplash said he was told it was stainless and I don't believe Remington made any SS 783's so we can likely eliminate that possibility.

Once you know the specific cartridge and the specific base model rifle it is then it'll be much easier to figure out which specific sub model we're talking about and we can better estimate a value from there.
Old 06-16-2021, 03:30 PM
whiplash

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullet Bob View Post
Could be a 700, 770, or other Remington's I don't remember (783?). Without know what it is, it would be hard to put a number on it.

Even within the 700 variations, there'sa lot of difference in value.
About the only detail I could add at this time is that it's a black synthetic stock. Thought I had enough of the details and will have to follow up with him for more details.

Thank you for shedding light on this as I'm not familiar with anything other than rimfire and just starting at .22lr. With the ammo the deal seems fair; yet I wouldn't know what I'm buying even at the time of purchase which is a concern now.
Old 06-16-2021, 03:56 PM
sav99fan

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Lots of analyzing. But the one thing I can tell you for sure without a doubt is that. If it is a 700 or seven it is worth every penny. If it's a 770 or 783 leave it be.
Old 06-16-2021, 04:10 PM
whiplash

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sav99fan View Post
Lots of analyzing. But the one thing I can tell you for sure without a doubt is that. If it is a 700 or seven it is worth every penny. If it's a 770 or 783 leave it be.
Would it say that on the barrel or rifle somewhere? Is there a way I could tell when looking at it?
Old 06-16-2021, 04:14 PM

That Evil Admin Lady
TPC Rating: 
100% (23)
Quote:
Originally Posted by whiplash View Post
Thank you for shedding light on this as I'm not familiar with anything other than rimfire and just starting at .22lr.
Well, then... ... 270 Winchester is one of my fave rounds but it's declining in popularity nowadays. Not quite a niche round but people don't normally use it for target shooting. It's an excellent choice for elk and deer. Of course it will work on smaller game but you want to be careful about picking your shot if you don't want to ruin a lot of meat.

If you're thinking of this rifle for target shooting I would suggest you take a pass. If you're looking for a medium-sized game hunting rifle it sounds like it could be a deal depending on the exact model designation which you will find stamped on the receiver.
Old 06-16-2021, 06:41 PM
sav99fan

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by whiplash View Post
Would it say that on the barrel or rifle somewhere? Is there a way I could tell when looking at it?
Absolutely right on the receiver 700s and sevens are marked.

IMG_20210616_193923743_HDR.jpg

IMG_20210616_193903543.jpg

Here's an example of both.
Old 06-16-2021, 06:47 PM
whiplash

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Appreciate that

With me, something that obvious helps.
Old 06-16-2021, 08:19 PM
sav99fan

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I learned from some of the best on here when it comes to giving advice but I feel like we lose more and more of their generation. So I choose to lead by example and continue with the ways that they helped me.
Old 06-17-2021, 09:20 AM
whiplash

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sophia View Post
Well, then... ... 270 Winchester is one of my fave rounds but it's declining in popularity nowadays. Not quite a niche round but people don't normally use it for target shooting. It's an excellent choice for elk and deer. Of course it will work on smaller game but you want to be careful about picking your shot if you don't want to ruin a lot of meat.

If you're thinking of this rifle for target shooting I would suggest you take a pass. If you're looking for a medium-sized game hunting rifle it sounds like it could be a deal depending on the exact model designation which you will find stamped on the receiver.

It is a 700 and would be a good deal. As you say though it's probably a pass because I would seldom (if ever) use it for hunting. Could take it over to the Antelope Club and agree that it's a good rifle. Then hardly if ever shoot the 200 rounds that come with it.

Lots of nice things in the world, some just don't fit in to what we do.