Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 12-17-2020, 05:20 PM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nedanschutz View Post
I have never owned a glock they feel like holding a 2x4 and trigger blows.
Huh. I should probably dump mine then.

Funny how several prior USPSA national champions shoot Glock.
Old 12-17-2020, 05:55 PM
RCGuy50

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
For simple operation the Kahr line of pistols jump to mind, a CT9 for example. The top features simple driftable sights made of metal. On the side there is the slide stop/release and the magazine release button. There is no extra trigger blade or palm grip safety to deal with. No Hammer to get caught, no magazine disconnect to get bent. The trigger is the safety, pull it and itíll throw lead, donít pull it and it wonít. The trigger pull is long and smooth. If you want an all metal pistol, jump up to the P series. Range trips are long and enjoyable or short and cheap with the lower capacity single stack magazine.
Old 12-17-2020, 07:01 PM
ivan

TPC Rating: 
100% (6)
CZ75bd - no safety, just a decocker. Rack and bang. Same mags as your current CZ.
Old 12-17-2020, 07:14 PM
Rat458
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
I carry a Ruger LCS 9 Pro on a daily basis .
Also carry a SIG 320 SC when its convenient to do so.
The SIG is a great range gun also,very accurate.
They both are point and shoot.
Tried a lot of the newer autos out there and the SIG just felt good in my hand.
Old 12-17-2020, 07:39 PM
webfoot56

TPC Rating: 
100% (99)
SIG M11A1 with the short reset trigger. Easy to take apart and put back together. Fits the hand well, great trigger and accurate for self defense.
Old 12-17-2020, 07:48 PM
Signmaster
US Marines Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
At the end of the day, what you want it for is probably the biggest deciding factor. There are loads and loads of simple striker fired 9mm's on the market, and quite a a few options within that range.

I'm personally not a fan of the compact or semi compact range of pistols unless it's really only for carry duty. Why? Because many of them aren't much fun to shoot. If it's a carry piece only then that works, as accuracy is not king.

But for most of us, we also want to shoot and have fun.

I picked up a Taurus G3 not too long back. I think it's on par with a Glock 19, having shot a number of them, The Glock might have a slightly better stock trigger, but not $100's of dollars better by a long shot. Other than that, the Taurus and loads of others are very similar as polymer frame striker fired is all the rage right now.

And while I could suggest a G3 or similar pistol, I won't. Why not? I've shot 1000-1100 rounds through it and I'm happy with it, and it was a great value, as are many similar.

But back to why not? Because I don't worry much about small carry guns, and even though considered full size it's small. And I shoot at targets, not home intruders. And it's much more fun shooting at targets with a more accurate weapon.

My next purchase will be a long slide, most likely the Canik TP9SFX that has already been mentioned. Not far from comp ready out of the box. An absolutely fantastic value. They come with multiple optics mounting plates, cleaning gear, back straps, mag release buttons..... stuff that you would think a gun twice the price come with.

Great stock trigger, better accuracy than most handguns even near the price range, and just a lot for the money.

I've already been trying hard not to buy one before Christmas. I think the people at the range heard me talking about it or something, because they suddenly just happened to add one with optics to the rental list. I think they are baiting me.
Old 12-17-2020, 07:54 PM
Griffen
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I guess my favorites are my Hi Powers, but recently picked up a P365 and a Kimber Micro9 Rapide Black Ice. They both cycle perfectly through several hundred rounds and are accurate. The Kimber is more accurate than the Sig, but they are pretty close. The trigger on the P365 is good for a striker fired pistol and I much prefer it over the Glock 43. The Kimber trigger is much more clean and crisp and I like the SA controls because thatís what Iím used to using.

I like the CZ 75 though it is a larger frame. Another that I found surprising was a Canik that a buddy brought to the range. It is about the size of the CZ and was a real nice shooter. Cycled without any issues for several of us and was accurate.
Old 12-17-2020, 08:15 PM
4T-GR

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Sig P320
Sig P365XL
Sig P365
Old 12-17-2020, 08:49 PM
Silas

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Tiny = Kahr PM9

Small = Springfield Hellcat OSP with Holosun 507K sight and Surefire XSC weaponlight

Big = Glock 19 MOS with Trijicon RMR and Streamlight TLR-8 A G weaponlight

Classic = Browning Hi-Power

Nifty = Luger P-08

Last edited by Silas; 12-17-2020 at 08:50 PM. Reason: Fat fingers
Old 12-17-2020, 09:43 PM

TPC Rating: 
98% (63)
To the OP at the moment, 1). What can you find? 2). Even better luck with the ammo search.
Old 12-17-2020, 09:55 PM
PicketWire

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I like the S&W M&P. To my hand it's much more comfortable than the Austrian brand. Everyone's choice will differ. Pick what feels good to you and serves your intended use.

Last edited by PicketWire; 12-17-2020 at 10:09 PM.
Old 12-17-2020, 10:34 PM
rc.

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
You certainly could go point and shoot with GLOCK but I like the slim all steel Kahr K9. The only reason I would not recommend it to a newbie is they are not always reliable out of the box. I had to polish the chamber on mine before it started to run right. I also changed the hollow soft recoil guide that was getting chewed up with a solid stainless one. Now it runs well and they are compact and very accurate for their size. Triggers are long but smooth with no stupid split trigger safety. Another thing about the Kahr, the rounds like to sneak out of the magazine when in your pocket. Once broken in as a carry gun I think they can be good guns made to high standards of quality but I want you to know they are not Sig or Glock reliable out of the box. I think you also have M&P, Sig and FN making 9mm guns with striker fired capability. It may be nice to have a striker fired with a safety https://www.military.com/daily-news/...un-system.html
Old 12-18-2020, 02:24 AM

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Take the money you would spend on a new gun, and your sp01 and send it to Cajun Gun works, and have them cajunize it. You cant really do better than that.

If you just want a plastic gun, thats ez the get the s&W EZ 9.
Old 12-18-2020, 06:13 AM
bobnoffs

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
i would really dig into reliability stats. before i bought a semi auto. i have seen makes mentioned that didn't do so well when i was doing my homework 10 yrs ago.
Old 12-18-2020, 07:23 AM
gmd1950
US Air Force Veteran Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (30)
I bought a CZ P10c supposed "Glock killer" don't know what the fool who wrote that was smoking but it wasn't a Glock, still it is a "can ready" so it will hang around. P365xl, fine with 115/124 gr standard pressure ammo but a jamomatic with 147's and worse with Corbon 115 hp's, stayed 6 months now gone and good riddance.

CZ's are good range guns but useless for CC to me, way too heavy, on a duty belt they'd be fine, most departments for some reason do not authorize them?? I have 8 CZ's so am not a hater just know their limits. I have even more Glocks because they are reliable, light for their capacity and caliber and plenty accurate enough.

I have a couple of full-sized Sig's, a Canik, another CZ75 copy from somewhere that lives in the truck cause its cheap, accurate and has high capacity, shot side by side with my CZ 75 Omega trigger it's as accurate and with its Chrome, yeah chrome finish, I don't worry about it.

Oh yeah, a Ruger Commander size 1911 9mm, sweet little shooter I occasionally think about carrying.

Buy what you want but know what you're using it for.

Peace gentlemen and gentlewomen.

Last edited by gmd1950; 12-18-2020 at 07:25 AM.