Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 09-11-2020, 04:15 PM
jplogue

TPC Rating: 
100% (6)
Savage 1922

Just curious if these are as rare as the "books" say they are. I have a Savage 1922 .22lr that's in very nice condition. I have shot it to make sure it functions correctly, which it does, but not enough for any kind of accuracy claims. I've always found the dual firing pin to be very interesting.

My 1922 has the correct magazine and simple front blade / rear buckhorn type sights. Do these typically have any value beyond the Savage 23 model that was very similar?

Thanks in advance for any replies!
Old 09-11-2020, 09:11 PM
WalnutBill22
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Since it was only made for about a year and a half, the M1922 must be fairly rare. I'm not sure if anyone really knows how many were made. However, the relative rarity doesn't seem to help its value very much, as they tend to sell for about the same as the much more common M23A, or around $200-250. Magazines for either one can be a real problem to find and command some impressive prices.
Both rifles were well made and had good reputations for accuracy.
Old 09-11-2020, 09:15 PM
Turboshaft
US Navy Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Just my two cents worth here, the 1922 Sporter has some unique features that make it an interesting collector piece but I don't think they have a lot of value over a Model 23 or its derivitives. I've only run across a couple of them, but when I do and the price is right, they do come home with me. As a family the Sporters are an elegant little gun to my eye.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-11-2020, 10:25 PM
CDSteding
Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Over the last five years I've acquired two Model 1922's. They always seem to be in the same general price range as your average model 23. I think the whole model 23 family is quite unique, The barrel and receiver being made out of one piece has a very elegant look. My favorite being the model 19-H, it's a heavy barrel 22 hornet that I have converted to a K hornet. As far as value goes most people don't realize they have a model 22 and just sell it as a model 23. The lack of any markings or nomenclature on the gun itself doesn't help matters and leads to confusion, but that double firing pin is a dead giveaway. I hope you enjoy your rifle.
Old 09-11-2020, 10:59 PM
jplogue

TPC Rating: 
100% (6)
Thank you for the information so far. They definitely seem to be a well made rifle. Anyone know why they used two firing pins?
Old 09-13-2020, 10:48 AM
Sav99age

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Printed production numbers (Blue Book?) are all wrong . The Model 1922 was produced from 1922 into 1924. Serials run over 18,000 and Savage sales records show near 16000 sold.

All that I have seen have the larger ejection port. If anyone has one with a serial below 3700 please advise the ejection port shape.
Old 09-13-2020, 11:34 AM
Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Had a low number a couple few years ago, one thousand something - the ejection port looked like a backwards "D" - square at the front, round at the back. I don't have the dimensions, but it was narrow and not a bit bigger than it needed to be. Much better looking than the later ovals...
Old 09-13-2020, 03:39 PM
Sav99age

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thanks for the reply.

Any chance you might have the serial number (at least the first two numbers)?

Just to verify, it was a 1922 Sporter and not the 1919 Target?
Old 03-04-2021, 12:16 PM
HeadHunterCW
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
"Anyone know why they used two firing pins?"

Dual firing pins was the original system devised by B.T. Henry for the 1860 Henry rifle. This can be seen as Fig. 16 on the original patent drawings. He refers to them in the patent as 'fillets.' The idea was to strike the cartridge rim in two different places to increase ignition reliability for rimfire cartridges.

https://patents.google.com/patent/US30446A/en
Old 03-07-2021, 03:43 AM
jfleag61

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Hello, I just picked up a 22 sporter a few days ago. Well used, and filthy,but had a magazine, so + for that. Just did a quick cleanup and ran about 30 rounds down the pipe. 2 FTF, and the bolt was a bit stiff, but who knows when it was last fired? I was pleased with the results. One problem, though. How do you remove the bolt for cleaning. It won't go past the safety. I pull the trigger while pulling it back, but it just hangs up there. Any help would be appreciated!
Thanks in advance
Old 03-07-2021, 04:16 PM
WalnutBill22

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
You should be able to remove it while pulling back on the trigger, with the safety off. You might try taking the barreled action out of the stock and see if there is something blocking it.
I would try a really good cleaning of the bolt by soaking in gasoline. Sounds like it could have some dried lubricant sticking around.
Old 03-09-2021, 07:15 AM
jfleag61

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
WalnutBill22 thanks, I'm thinking the safety might not be correct, and may be causing an issue? It was missing when I got the rifle, so I ordered one. Looked exactly like the one on my 45 super sporter 30-06. Now I'm not so sure it is correct. Should the safety have a hole in it, or just a depression? Mine has the depression, but I am now seeing others with a hole. BTW, the bolt would not come out even when the safety was not present, unless I removed the stock. Puzzled...Also I see (looking on gun parts schematics)the model 19 has the same trigger + a sear, and sear pin. The model 23A does not. Mine has the "serrated" trigger, but no seperate sear and pin. I know this was supposedly only a 1 year model, so I am not sure if they shared parts.
Thanks for your time, and any additional info you can share.
Old 03-09-2021, 07:49 AM
Sav22

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
The safety should just have an indentation and a notch, this picture shows the notch - gunpartscorp/988310

The early 1919's & 1922's shared the same action parts, both were updated with the introduction of the 23A and again shared parts.

It seems odd that you can remove the blot with the stock off but not with it on, looking at an example I have the only thing I can think off is that the hole for the trigger adjusting screw is plugged or someone put the gun in a 23A stock that does not have that hole and the trigger adjustment screw is bottoming out and blocking the trigger from being pulled far enough to release the bolt, maybe the screw was replaced with a longer one or one with a larger head that will not fit in the clearance hole - if that's not it, I haven't a clue!

Added - link to picture of the trigger showing the screw - gunpartscorp.com/988360

Last edited by Sav22; 03-09-2021 at 07:59 AM.
Old 03-10-2021, 03:50 AM
jfleag61

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thanks for your info. My safety has the notch, but also an actual "dimple". The trigger adjustment screw may be a problem. I can't back it out, even after soaking. It is the correct stock, as the butt, butt plate, and barrel (at the end of the receiver) have matching numbers. I found a complete barrel, with trigger, adjustment screw, and safety on GB. I will try swapping out the trigger and safety when I pick it up, and see if that solves the problem. Other than that, it functions great. Had it out yesterday and was shooting great groups! No feed problems and the bolt mover smoothly.