Join Team RFC to remove these ads.
Closed Thread

Old 06-15-2017, 08:27 PM
gregbenner

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARTINI SHOOTER View Post
Ordered a set of Altamont grips six days ago ( I am in Canada) and they arrived today. My orders from Brownells usually take two weeks so I am happy about that. Fitted them to the pistol and am delighted with the fit and the way the pistol fits my hand. Definitely an improvement over the original. Price is excellent too , even with the crappy rate of exchange to CDN. Incidentally the grips are the round conversion target checkered rosewood. Off to the range in the morning to shoot a few targets.!!! Tony

Pics?
Old 06-15-2017, 09:35 PM
rjferber
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
I think your current research on the price of a 617 is about as good as your are going to find. As others have suggested I would buy from a LGS not only to inspect and handle the one you are going to buy, but if there is a problem they have a relationship with S&W that can help.

As far as the lawyer lock is concerned . . . Yes it's there and one can argue the pros and cons of it being there but I have never had an issue with any of my S&W revolvers that were lawyer lock related. It certainly has never got in the way of my shooting a S&W revolver for target shooting or hunting and I have several.

Good hunting for your 617 . . .
Old 06-16-2017, 05:26 AM
Bill T
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjferber View Post
As far as the lawyer lock is concerned . . . Yes it's there and one can argue the pros and cons of it being there but I have never had an issue with any of my S&W revolvers that were lawyer lock related. It certainly has never got in the way of my shooting a S&W revolver for target shooting or hunting and I have several.
This is good to know. I, like many, fear these things. While I own several Smith & Wesson revolvers going back to the early 70's, none are equipped with the lock. One question. Do the guns come new out of the box unlocked, or do you have to unlock them?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-16-2017, 05:31 AM
AzShooter
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Mine have all come unlocked. I've never had a problem with the lock and just ignore it.
Old 06-16-2017, 12:02 PM
gregbenner

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
I didn't even know what a lock was until I read the Forums. Never occurred to me to read a manual for a revolver.
Old 06-16-2017, 12:16 PM
ctxflyer
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Smile .22 s&w

I have had mine for a while.

Perfect in every way.

Would not sell mine for any amount.

I bought it new and love it!

It is made by S&W.

Next question please...
Old 06-17-2017, 06:28 AM
alverman
Law Enforcement Officer

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
My 617...

or
Old 06-17-2017, 07:33 AM
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
FYI...Kentucky Gun Co. selling the 617 in either 4" or 6" barrel for 618.99 with free shipping. That's the "cash" price, credit card adds 3%.
Old 06-17-2017, 08:02 AM
Bill T

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I want one of these in my collection. With that said I've looked at, and handled a total of 5 of them thus far at both Cabela's and Sportsman's Warehouse. All 5 had very poor finishes on them for brand new in the box, $700.00+ .22 handguns. Very dull with a lot of surface scratches. Extremely poor when compared to the Stainless Steel surface finishes on both the 10 shot Ruger GP-100, and SP-101, 8 shot, both in .22.
Old 06-17-2017, 10:31 AM
Bill T

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
S&W's quality control of recent has me very concerned. This link is from another forum where a guy took delivery of a brand new, $1,000.00 S&W Performance Center Revolver. The thing is a complete disaster that NEVER should have made it out of the factory.

http://www.nevadashooters.com/showthread.php?t=78803
Old 06-17-2017, 11:25 AM
gregbenner

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
I purchased two new S&W revolvers this spring, a 617 and a 625PC. Both were excellent in all respects. However, I purchase from an excellent dealer, and he inspects them closely before I see them. I would never purchase a new gun over the internet or long distance. The potential for getting something I don't like far outweighs the chance to save dinner money. For me, when I shop based primarily on price, I get what I pay for. JMHO, YMMV.
Old 06-17-2017, 11:48 AM
Canucky

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill T View Post
S&W's quality control of recent has me very concerned. This link is from another forum where a guy took delivery of a brand new, $1,000.00 S&W Performance Center Revolver. The thing is a complete disaster that NEVER should have made it out of the factory.

http://www.nevadashooters.com/showthread.php?t=78803
Bought a 627 a few years ago. Crown was messed up bad. Think there is a pic still on the S&W forum. Sent it in they fixed it. Got it back in 2 weeks. It's the sign of the times. Nobody does a good job anymore, too busy on their cell phones.
Old 06-17-2017, 04:47 PM
cabin22

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill T View Post
I want one of these in my collection. With that said I've looked at, and handled a total of 5 of them thus far at both Cabela's and Sportsman's Warehouse. All 5 had very poor finishes on them for brand new in the box, $700.00+ .22 handguns. Very dull with a lot of surface scratches. Extremely poor when compared to the Stainless Steel surface finishes on both the 10 shot Ruger GP-100, and SP-101, 8 shot, both in .22.
The finish on my 617 and 627 Pro, both 4" barrels, are simply the standard S&W stainless steel finish, a bit dull and you can see minute scratches & swirls if you hold it just right in the light. I doesn't bother me one bit. Both guns shoot very well, at least by my non-competition standards, both were bought new within the last 4-5 years, and of course both have the locks. No mechanical problems with either one, and the locks were used once, when I bought the gun, just to make sure they worked. I think both are very good revolvers, well made, and are capable of shooting much better than me. I even like the factory Hogue grips. Not very pretty, but very functional and comfortable when shooting.

If you don't like the finish, price, or lock, don't buy one. Nothing wrong with the Rugers. My Single Ten is a great looking pistol; it just doesn't get as much use as the 617.
Old 06-17-2017, 10:01 PM
jimd441

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
cabin22,

Thanks for the report. I considered the Ruger as I have GP100 .357 6 in. stainless which is a great, repeat great, gun. I opted for the S&W and love it and was glad to read that you, as an owner of the Ruger, gravitate toward your 617

Jim
Old 06-18-2017, 07:44 AM
Cardboard_killer

TPC Rating: 
100% (15)
The S&W final hardening treatment dulls the finish, so the dullness is by design. If you polish it up, it losses that treatment, which inhibits rust.
Closed Thread