Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.
Closed Thread

Old 06-01-2017, 06:38 PM
JGreen
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)

hey, long time since ive been here, i do still love my 10/22 you guys helped me with, but ive been wanting a revolver 22. narrowed it to the 617 4"
what is a normal cost youve been paying for this gun? i called a high volume shop in my state that moves alot of inventory. they quoted me over the phone $769.
i hate to be cheap, but if i could grab a brand new one for around 6, ill throw money at the shop. should i keep looking around?
also, how do you like the gun? i have a buddy with a 6" 617 and its like a Cadillac.
i was originally thinking a 686, but realistically, i shoot 22 more than any other gun. ive always loved it, and i dont feel bad about myself shooting 500rds of 22 in comparison to 40 or 556.

thanks
-JGreen
Old 06-01-2017, 06:42 PM
center_shot

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I just sold mine - $575 plus shipping ($70 for shipping) wonderful gun, just did not shoot mine much after the .22 shortage.
Old 06-01-2017, 07:51 PM
'ol shooter
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (126)
I paid $675 plus tax for my 4" over five years ago. I like the balance of the 4' over the 6". Love shooting it, and never ran short of ammo because I always keep plenty on hand. I like taking it to the range because other than the fun shooting, I can retry any ammo I had issues with while shooting the semi-auto rifles. Stick 'em in and pull the trigger. I have read good reviews and bad reviews on the Ruger, but the Smith (not mine) has had some kinks too, timing issues leading to lead shaving/spitting, undersized forcing cones, and barrels with the sights cocked.
Edit/Delete Message

Old 06-01-2017, 09:03 PM
US Marines Veteran Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
I purchased my 617, 6", last year for $695 plus tax. I prefer the 6" for target shooting. It is my main range gun.

Old 06-02-2017, 12:22 AM
Sub sailor
US Navy Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill T View Post
I'm looking at a new 617 as well. What concerns me isn't the price.... But rather the lock. I own many S&W revolvers, but none with the lock. I know when they first came out they were having problems with guns locking up. Since then they appear to have ironed out the issues.

I know these locks aren't what anyone wants. It's the position all of the sue crazy lawyers in this country have put the gun manufacturers in. Are any of you guys having issues with the locks? I, like most, will never use the thing. I just don't want it creating issues on a gun that I'm going to be paying a lot for, and intend to put a lot downrange with.
I have a 617-6 with the lock and I have never had a bit of trouble with it. From what I understand the people that have had trouble with the lock were shooting larger caliber revolvers with heavy recoil that can really shake things up! I haven't heard of problems with the locks on rimfires, but if somebody out there has had an issue with it, please share your story.
Old 06-02-2017, 01:18 AM
chuckbiscuits

TPC Rating: 
100% (17)
I would never buy a gun with a lock. Call me crusty, just don't call me late for dinner...
Old 06-02-2017, 01:33 AM
'ol shooter
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (126)
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckbiscuits View Post
I would never buy a gun with a lock. Call me crusty, just don't call me late for dinner...
You should change your screen name to Crustybiscuits. This could be your Avatar:

I'm no fan of the locks either. I have several Smiths, most the old pinned and recessed type, but I also have two that do have locks. They haven't given me any problems, and I can't see them when I shoot them. I know the innards of the Smith very well, armorer training. I also have some semi-auto pistols with the locks, no issues there either.
Best Regards
Old 06-02-2017, 03:05 AM
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
deguns dot net was recently selling the 617 4" barrel for $689 but are out of stock at this time. They do still have three of the 6" barrel model for $659, which is what I paid. I would be surprised if the OP could find either for his $600 price point.
Old 06-02-2017, 07:22 AM
Phish4one

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 'ol shooter View Post
You should change your screen name to Crustybiscuits. This could be your Avatar:

I'm no fan of the locks either. I have several Smiths, most the old pinned and recessed type, but I also have two that do have locks. They haven't given me any problems, and I can't see them when I shoot them. I know the innards of the Smith very well, armorer training. I also have some semi-auto pistols with the locks, no issues there either.
Best Regards
What he said! Have never had an issue with locks. If there was an issue then its due to the fidgeting of the owner trying to screw with it.
Old 06-02-2017, 07:26 AM
Phish4one

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Picked up my 4" 617 for a self Christmas gift. A lot of fun shooting happens.

https://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums...1&d=1496402687
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMGP0247.jpg (474.5 KB, 48 views)
Old 06-02-2017, 07:47 AM
Bill T

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I've noticed the Stainless finish on most all of the 617's is not that great. A lot of surface scratches, and general dullness. They lack the clean luster of the Ruger brushed Stainless. I know you can go over it with Flitz or Simichrome Polish. But let's face it. You shouldn't have to, "go over" the finish on a brand new $700.00+ .22 revolver. This is my 10 shot Ruger GP-100 as it came from the box. The Smith 617's should at least look as good.

Old 06-02-2017, 08:07 AM
US Marines Veteran Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
I'm looking at a new 617 as well. What concerns me isn't the price.... But rather the lock. I own many S&W revolvers, but none with the lock. I know when they first came out they were having problems with guns locking up. Since then they appear to have ironed out the issues.

I know these locks aren't what anyone wants. It's the position all of the sue crazy lawyers in this country have put the gun manufacturers in. Are any of you guys having issues with the locks? I, like most, will never use the thing. I just don't want it creating issues on a gun that I'm going to be paying a lot for, and intend to put a lot downrange with.

I have never had a problem with my S&W revolvers that sport the lawyer lock and don't know anyone who has. I would prefer the lock not be there, mainly because of cosmetics but it's nothing I'm concerned about performance wise.
Old 06-02-2017, 08:31 AM
AzShooter
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
[IMG][/IMG]

I love my 617 and shoot it a lot. I've added an Apex hammer and have gotten the trigger pull down to just under 8 lbs with reliable ignition. It's the most accurate of all my .22s.
Old 06-02-2017, 08:40 AM
chuckbiscuits

TPC Rating: 
100% (17)
Quote:
I've noticed the Stainless finish on most all of the 617's is not that great. A lot of surface scratches, and general dullness. They lack the clean luster of the Ruger brushed Stainless. I know you can go over it with Flitz or Simichrome Polish. But let's face it. You shouldn't have to, "go over" the finish on a brand new $700.00+ .22 revolver. This is my 10 shot Ruger GP-100 as it came from the box. The Smith 617's should at least look as good.

Wow! That GP looks gorgeous. Now I need to go shopping...
Old 06-02-2017, 08:46 AM
Camster

TPC Rating: 
99% (54)
Forget the notion of NIB for 600 bucks.You may be a nice guy,charming and handsome,but expecting sub wholesale prices,won't happen.
Buy locally if you can,even if it's a few more bucks.Paying shipping and transfer fees for an online bargain,does add up. Plus,if you buy from the local guy,you can examine first.That's a big plus,given the lack of QC at S&W. The local guy has no reason at all to help you, if a transfer comes in with a clocked barrel,etc.In fact,he's probably chuckling at the false economy,when he's also losing a sale.

I too,started with a 617 six incher(six shot) I later added a four inch 10 shot version to the fold. (both good guns,but with my old man downsizing,I picked a 17-4 as my one keeper)
Closed Thread