Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 12-29-2016, 06:22 AM
VertFish
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (49)
Help with rain-soaked rear bag

I have a private range I built on some recreational ground I own with a couple buddies. I let my best buddie's 22 y/o kid use the range while my buddy was out of the state. Normally we have a rule that an owner must be present when others use the range. Rather than be my normal anal self, I let that slide since the kid has shot there with me or his dad maybe 10 times.

Well; I dropped by a 3 weeks later to do some shooting and found that the kid had left my Protektor Bunny Ears rear bag and an elbow pad out after he left and the bags were in several snow, ice, sleet and rain storms over the last several weeks. Both bags are sopping wet. They are filled with fine white play sand.

Has anybody developed a technique to save wet bags or should I just tell junior to lay a C note on me for the wet bags he just bought for himself and can try to figure out how to dry them and let him know that I am disappointed that he did not take better care of my equipment? If there was a sure fire way to dry them out without rotting or molding from the inside and maintaining a good flat bottom, I might be inclined to take it easy on the boy.

Anybody have experience on drying out wet sandbags?
Old 12-29-2016, 06:49 AM
toomanyguns

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I would place them somewhere that is warm (but not too warm) and dry like maybe above a fireplace mantle, close to a heater, in the engine compartment of a vehicle, etc. Might have to periodically turn them.

Simple cloth sandbags dry out ok but leather and vinyl tends to get stiff.

I keep my sandbags inside my shooting shack or inside a weatherproof ammo box.

Hope you can save them.
Old 12-29-2016, 07:21 AM
LtCrunch
US Marines NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (5)
Hi VertFish...dang kids. Why don't you pull out the fill tabs, drain the sand, dry it all out and then oil the leather and refill them? Or better yet make knothead do it?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zxQU3xayAtA

Frank
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-29-2016, 09:39 AM
VertFish

TPC Rating: 
100% (49)
Quote:
Originally Posted by LtCrunch View Post
Hi VertFish...dang kids. Why don't you pull out the fill tabs, drain the sand, dry it all out and then oil the leather and refill them? Or better yet make knothead do it?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zxQU3xayAtA

Frank
With the sand being wet, there is no way it is coming out of the small filler tabs.
Old 12-29-2016, 10:16 AM
LtCrunch
US Marines NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (5)
Well yes VertFish I assumed it would be about easy and as much fun as an emergency room doc cleaning out an impacted rectum. Hence my suggestion to make the kid do it.

You've tried inserting a thin probe like a dental pick and nothing will come out? My worry about trying to dry the bags with sand in situ would be mold. Giving the dad the old bags and asking him to replace them with new for you is sounding better and better. Let him work it out with the kid.

Frank
Old 12-29-2016, 10:36 AM
VertFish

TPC Rating: 
100% (49)
I think I'll just see how they dry out slowly and buy new ones if I am not happy with them in the next month.
Old 12-29-2016, 01:59 PM
Dean1151

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Drying leather delima

A few thoughts on your dilemma; Call around to a saddle shop, leather repair or a shoe repair shop and see what their ideas might be. Our saddles and horse tack get wet, they are dried slowly and then oiled with neatsfoot oil to keep them from cracking. Another thought, open up the stitching wider at the gap for filling the bag, empty the sand, and partially fill with rice or "crystal" type cat litter, its a desiccant, ( not clay or scented types as they hold moisture) and let the filler you use pull the moisture, whip stitch the pieces together again and fill with your choice of new filler. I have done this with other types of bags and it works well. If you use a fine filler, seal over the new stitching with "shoo-goo" as it will seal and grip. If not ready to tackle, the saddle or shoe shop should be able to stitch it back together good as new.

I would still oil the leather or treat with snow seal when done to keep it pliable. Good luck.

Randy
Old 12-29-2016, 02:18 PM
PlentyCoups

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Have him get you new ones and give him the ones he ruined. If they are salvagable he can deal with it.
Old 12-29-2016, 02:19 PM
bangbang

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
depending on the material...

if its leather, dont put it near any heat source. Even a cars heat vent can dry out the leather and it will get hard and crack.

if its cloth, i would put it near some type of dry/warm source and let nature take its course. If you can get ahold of some Desiccant i would get a ziplock bag and put both in in making sure to change out often. Some of those Desiccant are clay based and can be put in a low temp oven to dry them out for reuse.

once you get it dry enough i would empty out as much as possible and spread on a baking sheet to dry. you may have to do it in batches or what will flow out of the bags.

good luck
Old 12-29-2016, 09:41 PM
farm boy
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by PlentyCoups View Post
Have him get you new ones and give him the ones he ruined. If they are salvagable he can deal with it.
Totally agree. Junior needs to learn from his mistakes. What will he learn if you correct the damages caused by him? Some people are slow learners till it comes out of their pocket or some blood and sweat has to be put forth. Have you told him what happened and asked him what he plans to do to correct it?
Old 12-30-2016, 01:38 AM
sicumj
Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
I've had mine rained on and soaked before. I just blew a fan on them inside turning and kneading often. Once dry treat with neatsfoot. It will take a week or two.
Old 12-31-2016, 05:17 AM
mossbergnut

TPC Rating: 
100% (20)
Am I the only person reading this that doesn't think somebody who is 22 years old, is not exactly a "kid" and certainly should be responsible for his actions???It is not up to this adults father to have to worry about it...It is the learning lesson for the young ADULT...Make him repair, or replace the bags..???? Isn't that how lessons are learned...???
Old 12-31-2016, 08:41 AM
Plinkhead

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Leather breaths, so I would put a fan on it and come back next week. Last resort may be to cut a small flap door to let the sand out and sew it back up after filling with new sand.
Old 12-31-2016, 10:47 AM
gmd1950
US Air Force Veteran Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (29)
Quote:
Originally Posted by PlentyCoups View Post
This...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mossbergnut View Post
Am I the only person reading this that doesn't think somebody who is 22 years old, is not exactly a "kid" and certainly should be responsible for his actions???It is not up to this adults father to have to worry about it...It is the learning lesson for the young ADULT...Make him repair, or replace the bags..???? Isn't that how lessons are learned...???
and this...
Old 12-31-2016, 11:37 AM
Arrowhead

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I'm all for the you ruined them, you replace them method but good luck with that.

If I wanted to salvage them and I would, I would simply cut the stitching out on each side of the filler tubes until I could get the sand out and then place them in a dry place out of the sun, preferably inside this time of year, and put a fan to running on them. Leather does not appreciate heat. You should be able to soften the leather up by working it with your hands after it's dry. I wouldn't oil the bags. The type of leather Procktor uses will get soft and stretchy with oil. Neatsfoot oil is good for some types of leather, bad for other types.

After they are dry restitch what you cut out and refill the bags. Then I would apply neutral Meltonian shoe creme which will soften and restore the leather but won't be oily.