597 first impression. - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 10-02-2016, 10:38 AM
cgt
US Air Force NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
597 first impression.

I think that a lot of people and the various .22 forums are missing some important points when talking about, or comparing, the 597.

I have yet to take it out on a first date at the range, so my review/impressions are purely visual!

This being the 597 forum on Rim Fire Central, I'll probably find a lot who agree with my following statements, and reasons why I bought my Remmie 597.

The primary reason I selected the 597 was due to the favorable mentioning of it's out-of-the-box accuracy. Feeding issues were a problem until the introduction of the metal magazine, so no worries about that. I am not a tacticool guy, and don't need to add 10 pounds of flash lights or lasers on it, so limited availability for 597 after market toys has little to no interest to me.

The Remmie is also cheaper than its biggest competitor, the 10/22, by about $30 in the cheapest variant for both, and the Ruger fan base is a very proud one, who always proclaim, that with a few after market parts, it can become as accurate as any off the shelf .22 rifle. This easily pushes the Ruger above the $300 mark, and inching ever so close to $400.
I paid $170 for my 597 and mounted a scope I had laying around, so now mine is upgraded to the level I want. I will add sling studs in the near future, but that is a $15 expense that I can live with.

I decided on the basic model with the iron sights, because it is nice to have a backup if the glass breaks or becomes otherwise disabled. The fact that the 597 is a full size rifle was also a big part of the decision process.

Well, I picked up my new love at the local Bass Pro Shop, and as soon as I got home I opened the box and did a closer inspection of the rifle.
The fist thing that struck me was how beautiful and flowing the lines were, and how smooth it transitioned from the receiver and barrel to the stock. Most .22's are more angular at least in some places, but on the 597 everything seems to flow.
The fit and finish was also above what I have seen on other .22's with one exception. They could have spent a few more minutes on smoothing out the mold lines on the stock. It wasn't bad, but it takes away from the overall impression.

When I picked it up and placed the butt plate against my shoulder it fit me perfectly! My Marlin 70PPS feels a bit like a toy gun, but not the 597. Another thing that just felt right was the fore end. It is fat at the bottom and slightly narrower in the center, which makes it fit in my palm and gives the fingers a natural position when holding it. Most, if not all, standard stocks has the fore end narrowing at the bottom, so this was a nice surprise.

The ergonomics of this rifle are excellent! It just feels right when looking down the iron sights towards a fictive target. The magazine release is perfect for me, and requires just a slight movement of my index finger to drop it out of the receiver. It is actually possible to drop a spent magazine and insert a new one, while holding the rifle with the right hand and arm from the shooting position. Excellent design!

There are a few things I would like to see Remington to include with the rifle.
Sling studs and swivels are a must. When a rifle is designed to be full sized, they have to expect it to be used as a hunting rifle and not just a plinker at the local range. In production it would add a few $'s and a few minutes of time, that's all.
Please include a top mounted (screw base) Weaver or Picatinny rail in the box. Heck, the receiver is already tapped for them, so why not include them?
It is nice that there is a dovetail mount on the receiver, but with the rails they could be eliminated and cut cost of production ever so slightly.

I feel very good about my purchase and I am chomping at the bit to got to the range. I also hope that others will perhaps benefit from my initial impressions, if they are on the fence about which .22 rifle to buy.

For transparency purposes I'd like to add, that I do not own a 10/22, so I can't speak of quality or accuracy of it.
I do own a Marlin 70PPS take down rifle, and it has given me very few functional problems, and with a scope is very accurate out to 50 yards (moa) using CCI standard velocity rounds. I bought the Marlin because I wanted a take down rifle, and at the time there were only two contenders, that one and the Henry AR7. The Henry had somewhat of a blemished reputation, and I liked the stainless finish of the Marlin better, so that is why I chose that one.

Last edited by cgt; 10-02-2016 at 04:50 PM. Reason: Edited for content
Old 10-02-2016, 02:29 PM
HUSHKABOOM
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (43)
Great write up!! I sure like the 597's also. I will be first to tell you Ruger 10/22's were not available in tube feed as far as I know so not sure if I read your report wrong?
Old 10-02-2016, 04:46 PM
cgt

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I could swear that it was a Ruger, but I have been known to be wrong before (more so after I got married).
It must have been a Marlin...

In that case I have never fired a 10/22
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-03-2016, 10:21 AM
tjb63

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I have both the 597 and Ruger 10/22 - The Ruger is definitely magazine fed. Both are Great guns and both will give a minimum of trouble. I do like the factory stock on the 597 though, it just has a really nice feel, the last round bolt hold open is a really nice touch, something I can't figure why Ruger hasn't added to the 10/22 in its 50 plus year run. Ruger has the 597 beat with their newer 25 and 50 round factory mags, but the 10 rounders from Keep Shooting for the 597 IMO are really nice.
Get to the range and enjoy your 597, be sure to clean and oil it first.
Old 10-03-2016, 11:04 PM
cgt

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Already cleaned and lubed and ready to go. Will get a handful of additional mags delivered on Wednesday, and I am itching to go.
Will add a range report when I get back, although it will be mostly breaking in the new toy and less focused on accuracy.
Old 10-03-2016, 11:19 PM
Al the Infidel
US Marines Disabled American Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Good luck and if you feel inspired, a how to for posting pix~ https://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums...wpost&t=510505
Old 10-04-2016, 12:36 AM
AK_shooter

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
having owned a 10/22 and various low cost marlin 22s over the years, my new 597remmy was possibly my best rim fire purchase to date. I got the scoped version, non HB. The scope needed some adjustments but now it's making ragged single holes without much effort using junk ammo. It's just fun to shoot!
Enjoy and let us know how she goes.
Will
Old 10-04-2016, 09:27 AM
cgt

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Well, my range time has been postponed due to that pesky hurricane that is coming up the eastern seaboard.
Time will be spent on boarding up the house and clean up the yard debris.

Last time we had a tropical storm coming through, over half the shooting range got flooded, so no telling when I get to the range...
Old 10-04-2016, 08:01 PM
84ORWELL
Appleseed Member Appleseed Rifleman

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I just picked up a 597 HB last saturday, It was decently accurate out of the box, I like it for the most part-but the trigger weight is brutal! I a;so need to pick up a picatinney rail to move the scope forward a bit as well.
Old 10-04-2016, 11:45 PM
HUSHKABOOM

TPC Rating: 
100% (43)
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/410...ifle-22-magnum
Old 10-05-2016, 09:10 AM
US Army Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by HUSHKABOOM View Post
I note in the description of the hammer at Midway that gunsmith installation is required.
Old 10-05-2016, 02:03 PM
HUSHKABOOM

TPC Rating: 
100% (43)
Or it can be installed by a lawyer!
Old 10-05-2016, 04:21 PM
KTGunsmithing
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
No, it wouldn't work if a lawyer installed it. It must be installed (fitted ) by a gunsmith under the supervision of a lawyer.