Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 02-24-2019, 12:55 AM
Hanover67
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Send a message via Yahoo to Hanover67
144LSB Exctraction problem

I have a 144LSB which does not reliably extract fired Wolf or SK cases, so I don't shoot it very much. I attribute the issue to the slightly curved underside of those ammo types which the extractors slide off rather than firmly grip the case rim. The rifle does extract other ammo, Federal, etc.

Has anyone else experienced this problem and is there a possible cure?
Old 02-24-2019, 08:41 AM
gunsisme
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (6)
I usually shoot CCI so I have not had this problem in .22LR. I have however had the same problem with my 12 ga. shooting skeet. Using my pump or semi with the cheap WW loads. Seems the rim angle allows the extractor to slide past. Will not extract these loads. AAA and Federal is ok.
Old 02-24-2019, 12:19 PM
IHMSA80x80
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
My cure would be to not use that ammo. Plenty of other ammo that will work.

≡✪≡
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-24-2019, 12:28 PM
gunsisme

TPC Rating: 
100% (6)
Other ammo and just as good or better accuracy
Old 02-24-2019, 12:33 PM
rosscoe

TPC Rating: 
100% (36)
I've heard of this problem several times before.
Only thing I can add,is make sure your chamber is clean and smooth.
Old 02-24-2019, 03:05 PM
tfrank
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
And maybe check...

And maybe check the end of the extractor that grabs the rim of the cartridge and make sure its not rounded. I prefer my extractors to have a hook of 2 or 3 degrees as a minimum and some of the factory NOS extractors that I have show more hook than that.
God Bless, Frank.
Old 02-24-2019, 06:47 PM
Hanover67

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I found an earlier post which dealt with exactly the same problem. The poster was advised to scrub the chamber clean and it cured his problem extracting both Wolf and SK ammo. I cleaned my chamber with JB paste and am hoping for the best on my next range visit. I also cleaned out the extractor grooves with a toothpick. The back of the barrel on the 144LSB has a very thin wall chamber partially surrounded by the extractor groove. the right side of the rear of the chamber in my gun appears to be slightly flattened, although that may be because it is hard to see under the receiver hood. I'm hoping that is not the case!
Old 02-25-2019, 06:27 PM
22_boomer

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rosscoe View Post
I've heard of this problem several times before.
Only thing I can add,is make sure your chamber is clean and smooth.
I had exactly the same problem with Wolf and SK ammo. CCI ammo worked fine. Like Ross said about the chamber being clean and smooth. I have a 144 LSB that would not work with Wolf or SK ammo so I removed the barrel and tried to fit a fired case into the chamber. A fired case should be a bit tight but the fired cases would stick right around the mouth of the chamber. I got a flashlite and found a burr on the left side of the chamber mouth that I attributed to maybe a bit of sand that got stuck in that lube that's used on the Wolf ammo. I polished the burr out and polished the chamber and both the Wolf and SK ammo worked great.

I just had the same problem show up in my 144 LSA and kind of found the same problem with the chamber on the left side -- almost think it might have something to do with what they call a left side extractor having junk on it because it's a ruff spot right at the left side extractor groove area.

Check all around the mouth of the chamber and try polishing the chamber so it shines.
Old 02-25-2019, 06:43 PM
rosscoe

TPC Rating: 
100% (36)
Some suggest using a .243 bore brush for cleaning the chamber.
Old 03-10-2019, 03:36 PM
Hanover67

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Good news and bad news. I polished the chamber and that cured the extraction problem. Wolf fired cases extracted fine. But, I found that it was difficult to single load cartridges and maybe the side of the chamber which looks slightly bent inward is not just an optical look but a real deformity. Also, the rifle would not group well. It was a windy day but even so there was as much vertical dispersion as horizontal.

I don't shoot this rifle much so I haven't tried a lot of different ammo in it. I have a Remington 511 I use for informal vintage benchrest matches that is very accurate with SK Rifle Match ammo. At this point, however, either the 144LSB is going to have to be tweaked or I'll find another brand of ammo that will work better. My Remington groups an average of .60" at 50 yards which is good enough to hold the 10-ring of the A23/5 target (.80").
Old 03-10-2019, 07:14 PM
rosscoe

TPC Rating: 
100% (36)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hanover67 View Post
Good news and bad news. I polished the chamber and that cured the extraction problem. Wolf fired cases extracted fine. But, I found that it was difficult to single load cartridges and maybe the side of the chamber which looks slightly bent inward is not just an optical look but a real deformity. Also, the rifle would not group well. It was a windy day but even so there was as much vertical dispersion as horizontal.

I don't shoot this rifle much so I haven't tried a lot of different ammo in it. I have a Remington 511 I use for informal vintage benchrest matches that is very accurate with SK Rifle Match ammo. At this point, however, either the 144LSB is going to have to be tweaked or I'll find another brand of ammo that will work better. My Remington groups an average of .60" at 50 yards which is good enough to hold the 10-ring of the A23/5 target (.80").

50 Yards? Peeps? size of groups? I'd expect to see at least a two inch group even if conditions weren't so great.

Last edited by rosscoe; 03-10-2019 at 08:19 PM.
Old 03-11-2019, 08:29 PM
Hanover67

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I was shooting at 50 yards with iron sights (Lyman 57MS and 17A) from a rest, Protektor front and rear bags. I fired 3 groups/scores as follows:

Group 1: 1.864" 46-1X
Group 2: 1.314" 48-0X
Group 3: .787" 48-0X

The third group was fired with Federal 711B ammo, which shot better than the Wolf Match Extra used for the first 2 groups. The first to had bigger patterns than the third. All shots were within the 9-ring but not as tight as my Remington shoots. I'm shooting for score, not group size

I'll experiment with tightening the action screw and the barrel band and try other ammo to see if I can improve the results.
Old 03-11-2019, 09:26 PM
gunsisme

TPC Rating: 
100% (6)
Group 3 is excellent I wish I could still shoot that well
Old 03-11-2019, 09:38 PM
rosscoe

TPC Rating: 
100% (36)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gunsisme View Post
Group 3 is excellent I wish I could still shoot that well
I use to shoot some very good groups with Fed 711-B in my 44US models. I was scoped however...……………….!