Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 06-17-2004, 10:57 PM
Gander2

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
A-Bolt Problem

I just picked up a used .22 A-bolt in excellent condition. It seems to have a feeding problem. Once or twice per mag a round will strip free from the mag but dosen't enter the breech. The loose cartridge gets mangled by the bolt going forward. I'm assuming this is a mag problem? Maybe bad mag spring? Any ideas? If it is a mag spring problem - is there a source for replacement springs?
Old 06-18-2004, 12:52 AM
Mike Gibson
US Navy Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I would check the feed lips of the magazine first. Then take the magazine apart and clean it. There are several places to get magazines. I just got a couple from Hempel's Inc. There is a outfit in canada that has all the old Browning parts and they might have a spring if that's what you need. Here is the URL for the Browning parts.

http://www.browning.com/services/obsolete/obsolete.htm
Old 06-20-2004, 04:01 PM
Tacoma
US Navy

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Ditto the above advice. What might be happening is that the follower is sticking and not forcing the round against teh feed lips. This will cause the round to come out sloppy and fast ( due to lack of friction/guidance.) cleaning and adjusting the mag should fix it.

BTW, Sweet rifle hey? I have an a-bolt in .22 mag.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-21-2004, 07:11 AM
blacksmith_sc
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I just bought an A-Bolt in .22M this past Friday. It was used, but in very good shape with a set of rings. Mounted a 3-9X on it Sunday.

Hempel's Inc. was mentioned for magazines. What other places are there? Are you limited to a 5 round magazine?
Old 06-21-2004, 09:40 AM
Mike Gibson
US Navy Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I would imagine you can get 10 round magazines same as the .22lr. I'd love to have an A-Bolt in .22 mag someday. How does yours shoot Blacksmith?
Old 06-21-2004, 09:44 AM
blacksmith_sc

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I don't know yet! I just got it this last Friday, and just got the scope on, on Sunday. With any luck, in a couple of weeks I might get a chance to try it out.
Old 06-22-2004, 11:50 AM
Tacoma
US Navy

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
FWIW, I've only had mine out twice and am still trying to figure out what it likes. The trigger is heavy but crisp. I need to work on it. Still, I think I was getting around 2" at 100. Not spectacular 9 or as good as my Marlins) but not bad since I havn't completed my ammo experiments and trigger job.
Finetuning both are on my to do list.

It's an absolute beauty to behold though!
Old 06-22-2004, 01:35 PM
blacksmith_sc

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Mags for .22M

Man, so here I bought this A-bolt in .22M, nice looking rifle, throw a scope on it, and think to myself "gee, it would be nice to have another mag for it". Well, I probably spent about 4 hours looking around for one on the internet and making phone calls. Golly, gosh, gee, one was $75, the other was $79. I think there are a lot more hen's teeth around, than mags for these guns.
Old 06-22-2004, 01:42 PM
Tacoma
US Navy

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Wow , that's a quarter of what I paid for the rifle! I've thought to do teh same but never got around to it.
I'll chack some "sources" and see if I come up with anything cheaper.
Old 06-22-2004, 06:01 PM
rickguns
Law Enforcement Officer

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
blacksmith,
Go to Auction arms auction site, there's a couple on there for $40 each I think.
Hope this helps!
Rick

Rick's Guns
Quincy Illinois
Old 06-23-2004, 06:38 AM
blacksmith_sc

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thanks Rick, I jumped on the one that's there. I paid the gold standard for one, if I get this one, I'll have three, so I should be set.