Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 06-17-2004, 11:59 AM
New_geezer

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
?? for Chim re: Magazines

Hi Chim

You may have missed this queries from the other thread that came after your response. Hate to impose but I'm curious for the answer myself.

From the "Packing Grease" Thread

Shep854

"Chim; How do you disassemble a BuckMark mag?"

Rimmer

"Ditto the question on mag disassembly. I have one in which the spring drags on the body of the mag and would like to get it apart to do some polishing. Thanks!"

My thanks in advance also - you've been a good source of info, hopefully I can be as helpful to others some day.
Old 06-17-2004, 12:22 PM
chim
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
No sweat. Using something handy, like a toothbrush handle, depress the follower so the follower button in the side is almost bottomed out. This will center the button in the round hole at the bottom of the slot. The button has a smaller diameter section that acts as a retainer - it engages with the edges of the slot it rides in. With the follower depressed, the larger diameter of the button will line up with the round hole. You can then remove the button. Ease up on the follower and it will pop itself out.

The worst deposits are usually inside the mag where the bullet nose rides. The follower itself gets a fair amount of crud that doesn't show up real well because the follower is black and the crud blends in. On a couple mags that were still a bit sticky after cleaning, I have polished them with very fine wet-or-dry paper. I forget if I mentioned it before, but I also polish the edges of the slots as well. Good luck with the Buck Mark. They're certainly one of my favorites..................chim
Old 06-18-2004, 03:48 PM
Rimmer

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Talking

Thanks so very much! It's amazing the things they don't tell you in the owner's manual (but should). I popped apart the one mag (out of four) that has a balky spring while sitting here at the computer, and am now trying to figure out where the hang-up is. Much easier to see and fix once it is apart!!!

Looks to me as if a "lefty" could easily pull the mag apart and switch the button to the other side.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-18-2004, 04:38 PM
shep854

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rimmer

Looks to me as if a "lefty" could easily pull the mag apart and switch the button to the other side.

I seriously doubt it. If you look up into the pistol's grip, you will see where the grip frame has been cut out for the button, on the left side. If the mag
button is reversed, the mag won't fit into the gun.
Old 06-24-2004, 06:25 PM
Rimmer

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Oops, you are right (pun intended!). Also, the hole in the follower is counterbored on the left side, but not the right, so you can't insert the button fully on the other side. I spoke much too soon!

Anyway, I took mine apart and used some 400 grit sandpaper to smooth out the channel that the spring runs in, and it works much better now. Thanks again, Chim.
Old 06-25-2004, 12:10 AM
shep854

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rimmer
Oops, you are right (pun intended!).
Actually, I am left (-handed, that is).