NOTE: Possibly dangerous situation with Walther P22 safety... - Page 4 - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 05-29-2012, 10:37 AM
1917-1911M
US Army Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BB61 View Post
As I'm not mechanically inclined, I sent my P-22 back to Walther yesterday. Mine would sometimes fire with the safety engaged. I will let everyone know what Walther decides the fix is. Although it's out of the 1 year warranty, I'm hoping they won't charge me much if anything as this has and is a repetitive problem. With the value of a used Walther not being very high, repairs could exceed its value and turn it into an expensive paperweight.
Something is broken if this is occurring. There are two safeties that are engaged when the safety lever is set to safe. The safety drum physically blocks the hammer from being able to hit the hammer and a cam on top of the drum engages the firing pin which stops it from moving should the pistol be dropped or the hammer hit. In addition there is an internal firing pin block. S&W will repair it at no cost. M1911
Old 05-29-2012, 10:41 AM
1917-1911M
US Army Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SubSonicSnipe View Post
any updates on all of this???
Walther tightened up the safety years ago. Have not read of the safety rotating from the hammer dragging on the safety drum in years. Your safety ears should firmly click in the safe and fire positions. Never should movement of the slide move the safety position. Something was not right with BB61's pistol. Broken part, I do not see how a P22 can fire with the safety set to safe unless several parts are broken inside. Would be good to get an update, something that doesn't happen all too often. M1911