NOTE: Possibly dangerous situation with Walther P22 safety... - Page 2 - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 01-22-2006, 07:39 PM
haproot

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
New link

Here's a new link to the supposed fix.. we'll see if it works tho..

http://pho3nixserver.no-ip.org/p22/p22fixes.html
Old 02-20-2006, 11:57 AM
Phoenix_III

Philadelphia, PA AND Northern NJ, ala Morris County
TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Send a message via AIM to Phoenix_III
Haven't been here in a while and saw the old link! Sorry I didn't get to it sooner, though the main page has the new address (http://pho3nixserver.no-ip.org/p22/p22fixes.html). Fix the link threadstarter!!
Old 04-11-2006, 12:16 AM
JohnnieO

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Folks,

FYI, this problem still continues on new P22s. I bought a NIB P22 early March. I had numerous FTFs and discovered the safety was activating. I sent the gun to Walther/S&W. Turn around time was slightly over three weeks, (just over 4 weeks if you count the time it took them to mail me a UPS return label).

I took the P22 to the range with my son and some of his friends. The problem is STILL THERE! It is better but not fixed. I watched everyone shooting closely. I could see the safety walking out and back into position as it was fired. My son experienced 2 FTFs. It is 100 times better than is was before the repairs. Initially the safety activated after every round.

Here is what was in the repair letter from S&W:

Repaired: Repair Safety Detent

Repaired: Check Feed w/hi Vel. Ammo

Repaired: Replace Reciol Spring
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-13-2006, 07:12 AM
tiger70

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Reply to safety issues

I had the problem of the safety kicking on after firing approx 100 rnds through. I carefully took the safety levers apart and cleaned them real good with solvent then oiled them. It seemed that the springs and balls got caked up with carbon and prevented the ball to completely expand to keep the lever in the fire position. so now a regular maintenance after a couple hundred rnds I make it a point to clean the safety levers. I haven't had a problem since.
Old 10-31-2006, 12:45 PM
AZkick-n40

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I tried all the links in this thread - are there any updated links that work?

Thanks!

Brian
Old 10-31-2006, 03:26 PM
1917-1911M
US Army Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZkick-n40
I tried all the links in this thread - are there any updated links that work?

Thanks!

Brian
Links! Links! We don't need no stinkin links. This is RFC. We are the link. M1911

Before you do any modifications make sure that the detents are clean and try tightening both the safety lever screws a bit. That might be all your pistol needs.

If not, make sure the pistol is unloaded, then with the proper sized screwdriver you remove one of the safety levers, do the following work, reinstall it and repeat on the other side. Here the lever has been removed. Note the detent ball that drops in the detent holes. Note the center bar on the safety lever that drops into the receiver inside the slide. This item must not be entirely ground off or the levers won't rotate the safety.

Picture of the safety lever and associated screw.

Take a small file or emery paper and lightly file/sand "each" shoulder just a little. Here a small file is resting on one shoulder. Then you lightly file/sand the tip sticking up removing the same amount of material you did from the shoulders. e.g., If you removed 0.005" from the shoulders, remove 0.005" from the center catch. What you are doing is removing just a little material so that the ears will sit a little closer/tighter against the slide.

This will cause the detent ball under the safety lever to be pressed tighter against the detent holes firming up movement of the levers. Reinstall the safety lever . Still loose, file a little more. Keep your work neat and square. Don't get carried away, remove a little at a time. You can always take more off, you can't put any back on. Put a little blue Threadlocker on that clean screw once you're good to go and ready for final assembly. That's all. M1911
Old 11-19-2006, 02:19 PM
Powder Burns

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
safety levers

My p22 also has that tendency to walk torwards safe mode, i tried filing them down a bit but I don't think i got them quite low enough yet. Could someone post a pic of their safety levers after filing so I can compare sizes? Also, would it be a bad idea to stretch the springs out?
Old 11-19-2006, 02:26 PM
Big Bad Wolf
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Talking

I finally sold both my P22s on consignment, and pretty much got what I paid for them.
Old 11-20-2006, 01:23 PM
1917-1911M
US Army Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
This sticky thread concerns "safety" issues.

File a little more Powder Burns, both sides if necessary, you can't remove so much that the levers themselves begin to drag on the slide nor should that be necessary. Make sure the screws are tight upon reassembly. M1911

Last edited by 1917-1911M; 11-20-2006 at 01:29 PM.
Old 11-20-2006, 01:49 PM
EdP
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Would it be a good idea to use a little blue loctite on the screw to keep it from backing out?
Old 11-20-2006, 07:28 PM
1917-1911M
US Army Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Yep, my latest free gun shown above has threadlocker on the threads as can be seen if you look closely. M1911
Old 11-20-2006, 07:33 PM
cmb

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
m1911 if you had a book on the p22 i think i would buy it from you. thank you for caring for the p22.
Old 11-20-2006, 08:08 PM
nalioth

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Howdy
I've just received a new P22 and have been function checking it. The pistol will cycle by hand with the safety ON and OFF.

I can pull the trigger with the safety on, and it cycles completely. I keep my thumb on the hammer due to it being a rimfire, but the trigger pull cocks the hammer and releases the hammer on both S and F.

Is this normal? (I really don't think so)
Old 11-20-2006, 08:18 PM
Powder Burns

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
safety function

If you look in the space where the hammer travels you will notice when activating the safety a bar rotates downward, this prevents the hammer from actually striking the firing pin.
Old 11-20-2006, 08:48 PM
1917-1911M
US Army Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Absolutely normal, allows you to chamber a round with the safety on. This is good.

It is also good that you can lower the hammer by pulling the trigger with the safety on. Although I do this with my thumb controlling it's fall it is still much safer. If for example I'm halfway through a mag and the target has actually been hit and I need to set it up again and I want to decock the hammer with a round in the chamber. Safety on first, then safely lower the hammer. Slips, I'm covered. Not so on my 1911 unless completely unloaded. That baby better not slip or there's going to be noise, smoke and fire, lead splattering and flesh removed. M1911