Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 07-23-2020, 07:34 AM
StanHi

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Best gun stores in America?

When I travel across the country, I have (in the past anyway) sought gun stores to visit. I've also found great satisfaction in visiting great hardware stores. Unfortunately, both of these entities seem to be slowly disappearing from our landscape. They are harder and harder for me to find one that is worth the trouble.

So, I'm interested to know what opinions are of members here regarding gun stores/shops that are something special. What is the name of the store, the city+state and your reasons why you think the store is so good?

I will try to visit these when I have the opportunity. Thanks for your additions.
Old 07-23-2020, 07:38 AM
Al the Infidel
US Marines Disabled American Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Gerald's favorite gun shop in NC would be my first choice. Perhaps he will tell ya when he gets back on his feet.
Dunno what Bud's is like but I've had good lucking buying online there.
Old 07-23-2020, 07:45 AM
Indigo22

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
I have found that Kittery Trading Post in Kittery, Maine is a top-notch place.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-23-2020, 08:07 AM
dbmjr1
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Shootwise, in Gretna La.

Because they deposit money in my account every week I go to werk.

Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
Old 07-23-2020, 08:07 AM
Loke
US Army Veteran Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Gunnies in Orem, Utah is a local favorite. Family owned and operated for the last 30 or so years. They have a huge inventory and the sales staff is usually quite knowledgeable. It seems like each guy has their specialty that they focus on. When they have time they are more than willing to take the time to chat and get to know their customers. Lately they have been packed, so not much time for chatting it seems.
Old 07-23-2020, 08:10 AM
StanHi

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loke View Post
Gunnies in Orem, Utah is a local favorite. Family owned and operated for the last 30 or so years. They have a huge inventory and the sales staff is usually quite knowledgeable. It seems like each guy has their specialty that they focus on. When they have time they are more than willing to take the time to chat and get to know their customers. Lately they have been packed, so not much time for chatting it seems.
This place sounds like a jewell. Just the kind of spot I really like. Thanks for the elaboration.
Old 07-23-2020, 09:15 AM
crankythunder

Burrokratic Republic of Michigan, Cubicle LVW-2a19d, Rock Number 3
TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
Champions Choice in Tennessee!

Have not been to the home store in Tennessee, would love to go check it out someday. Have browsed their temporary satellite outpost at camp perry a couple times and been impressed.

You guys have no idea how much I have invested in that place of business!

Regards,
Crankster

www.ccrcpistolteam.weebly.com
www.ccrcrifleteam.weebly.com
Old 07-23-2020, 11:09 AM
The War Wagon
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thumbs up

Legion Arms in McKeesport, PA.

They opened to massive resistance from, "da' COMMUNITY" at the time. They stuck to their guns anyways. They're a Class III/NFA dealer/armorer as well. They have GREAT employees with good customer service and skills. They do their own cerakoting, and cheaper than the NEXT nearest cerakoter to me, anyways.

EVEN here during the crunch, they've had a nice selection of tupperware, which the public seems to love in these days (I'm "All-1911-all-the-time" myself), they have no problem ordering what you need, and they have $20 transfers. They don't be-otch or give you a hard time if you transfer your Gunbroker deals through them, either.

It's physically NOT a 'superstore,' and while it's in "da' 'HOOD," I love stopping by whenever I can (I have business down there once a month, and ALWAYS stop in). Their 'smitty is quite competent, having done some nice work on some rifles and 1911's for me - and at reasonable prices.

They are the OLD SCHOOL LGS we all grew up with, and miss, now that most are gone. I plan on supporting them as much as possible!
Old 07-23-2020, 12:24 PM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Martin B. Retting in Culver City CA.

Dad started taking me there in the 60's. One of very few old school gun shops left in SoCal. They buy a lot of used guns and their inventory turns over quickly. Found a lot of gems there over the years.

FYI - Can only get into the store by appointment right now due to the CV thing.

http://retting.com/

Fowler Gun Room in Orange, CA.

I haven't been there for several years but it was similar to Retting.

http://fowlergun.com/
Old 07-23-2020, 12:39 PM
jnyork
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (20)
We are somewhat limited here in Wyoming. My two favorites are Rocky Mountain Sports in Riverton, very well stocked with not only guns but ammo, components, accessories, clothing etc, nice modern store. Also, A&P Pawn in Lander, just what you would hope to find in a small western town pawn shop, lots of used guns, he gets some interesting pieces in from time to time, good place to order in guns or have your internet purchases received.
Old 07-23-2020, 09:10 PM
elohssa63
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
75% (2)
Whittakers in Owensboro, Ky. It's a candy store for gun nuts.
Old 07-23-2020, 09:36 PM
rosscoe

TPC Rating: 
100% (37)
Olde West, Redding,Ca.
Old 07-24-2020, 06:01 AM
jerryray

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Well I haven't been there in several years but Guns Galore in Fenton Michigan was a favorite when I would visit relatives that used to live nearby. Kind of a small place packed with stuff in narrow aisles but a good selection of guns. Jay's in Gaylord is more modern and roomy but they are somewhat higher priced.
Old 07-24-2020, 06:35 AM
bowwild

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
I second that nod to Whittakers! I bought a Cooper Custom Classic from them with a choice of wood about 15 years ago. Still have it.

My favorite big box store is Scheels, the one in Lincoln, NE is where I've been.

Of course Bud's brick and mortar in Lexington, KY is close to home and quite good as well and I can rarely get a better price on anything other than their on-lie offerings.

KY Gun CO. is pretty good too although I've never been a fan of their in-store customer service. I feel invisible to the help in that place. I have bought several items from them though.

My sentimental favorite is "Reds" (Rutherford) in Richmond, IN where I grew up. My uncle and I visited that store just to gawk 2-3 times a month...at least. Owner was very nice and helpful. Very sad demise when he was drowned by his dog when they both fell out of a boat many decades ago. Store closed.
Old 07-24-2020, 06:48 AM
M2HB

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
I have found the best gun shops are the small, mom an pop shops where the locals hang out. They are becoming more rare all the time. For Tupperware these stores arenít that great. For steel and walnut they are the way to go but you have to be there when the gems show up.