Any interest in a short range match category ? - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 08-16-2014, 07:29 PM
David Valdina
US Marines Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

Barefoot Bay, Florida and Cape Cod, Massachusetts
TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Any interest in a short range match category ?

Any interest in a short range match category ? Over in the rimfire section a few of us are thinking of an on line short-range match open to .22 rimfire at 50 feet and air rifle at 33 feet. Take a look at the thread so far.
https://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums...6&goto=newpost

2/7/17 I received a PM:Thank you for taking the time to compile the monthly scores in the now over 40 page thread!
Can you edit your first post to add some of the basic match type info? It started out as a discussion but only on page 2 are the rules kind of firmed up, and people with a new interest might not look hard enough and skip it.

Match rules: 10 shots from a standing position, with or without slings, with iron sights or scopes, any air rifle or air pistol ok. Distance is 33 feet. The targets we use for these matches are the NRA Official 50 FT. Small Bore Rifle Target, A-17, and the U.S. Army Official 50 FT Small Bore Rifle Target, both being the same target as to size, ring spacing and number of bulls per target. One sighter bull and ten record bulls. The NRA Official 50 FT. Junior Target, TQ-1/5 which has 5 bulls can also be used. These targets for rifle and pistol and all shot standing at 33 feet.

So far there has not been any real difference between scoped and iron sight rifles, so shoot what you want. I will take the top score per shooter per rifle or pistol for the monthly compilation. First posted in time gets ahead of later posts in the event of identical scores. I do NOT know the make and model of all rifles and pistols, so if you are using a pistol, be sure to identify it as such. This is all to be very laid back and fun. We compete against ourselves with the aim, pun intended, to become better.

If I left anything out, please read ahead in the thread or post a question or send me an email. I don't always look for PM. [email protected]

Two questions came up recently and I post this February 24, 2017.

We have some folks who can not stand up. Some in a wheelchair and some can stand, but not stand and shoot. For those folks, sit. But have no further support for your body. No elbows on the table no back against a back rest.

We have people whose bullet trap will not hold the ten shot target. If you have a small bullet trap that will take the target with 5 bulls, use it. You can shoot one pellet at each and then put up a second target and have the ten shots. Or put up the target and shoot 2 shots at each and you will have your ten shots.

You can shoot inside the house. No excuses not to be shooting.

Last edited by David Valdina; 02-24-2017 at 11:44 PM. Reason: More beneficial rules:
Old 10-26-2014, 09:03 PM
Hammer47
US Navy Veteran GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
87% (11)
I would be interested in 10 meter or 50 feet airgun. Practice it all the time. Am lucky enough to have a 25 yard range in my basement with a silhouette range including remote resets. Only problem is that the resets are stationed right next to the bar............hell of a decision.
Old 10-26-2014, 10:18 PM
Keeley
US Air Force Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (21)
10meter air gun

I shoot 10 meter air gun in the back yard several days a week but am terrible at it off hand. I enjoy it though. I have noticed my morning caffine is a dis-advantage when it comes to hitting that little bitty 10 meter bull. Don Williams talked me into joining the International Airgun Postal League. Their first match is November 8th. I hope I can shoot something respectable score wise to send in.

I'll go read your reference here. might be fun.

T
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-02-2014, 08:31 AM
artanmac
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Keely
Thanks to your post my wife and joined the international airgun postal league also. It took a little internet searching and emails but got connected with Don. We are looking forward to it. So thanks.
Old 11-02-2014, 12:52 PM
Keeley
US Air Force Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (21)
Sure'nuf

Quote:
Originally Posted by artanmac View Post
Keely
Thanks to your post my wife and joined the international airgun postal league also. It took a little internet searching and emails but got connected with Don. We are looking forward to it. So thanks.
I can only hope you 2 shoot better then me.

T
Old 11-17-2014, 03:16 AM
4c5z2mrkIIm60s

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I can shoot my air rifle from inside my house, living room into the den up to 50 feet. I used to shoot from inside the garage to the back fence 22 yards or backyard to 32 yards. However the neighbors complained so I have to keep it inside now. I would not mind setting up again inside to shoot. I have a Gamo
Big Cat 1200 break barrel springer with a 3 x 9 x 40 scope. I did gopher head shots off hand at 32 feet with it using Cometa Exact heavy 10.34 domed pellets.
Old 11-17-2014, 08:38 AM
freshAIR

TPC Rating: 
100% (21)
I have 17 yards in my basement and shoot a lot in the winter. This sounds like it could be fun.
Old 11-19-2014, 01:24 PM
pointfocus
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Winter Air Rifle Match

Count me in!

P.M.O.E.
Pointfocus
Old 11-20-2014, 08:10 PM
BMosely

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
David, I had a match going back a few months ago but work overtook my time and I could not keep up or have time to shoot. The interest was fair and I think we could have grown the group with a little more support. I was using the ar5/10 10 meter target shooting two sheets or 20 rounds. I took the scoring scale from the CMP site and now realize that their target is an easier target than above. The scale could be adjusted accordingly. Shooting offhand was an eye opening experience after coming off of the iron sight bench rest matches. Good luck.

See link below for the last month that I ran the match.

http://https://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=521607
Old 11-20-2014, 11:09 PM
ShootsAtSky

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Kind of interested, haven't been able to get to the range lately, but can handle 10 Meter from the kitchen into the garage. I might be spotty, but it sounds like fun.

What target? Hopefully a pdf or link to one?

And if someone wants some indoor practice, I've got an IR 50-50 I scaled for 10 Meter, with reduced ring sizes to give a more accurate score with .177 pellets. For an idea of scale, you can get 6 cards on an 8.5x11 sheet.

Bob
Old 11-22-2014, 01:34 PM
pointfocus

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Proposed Winter Air Rifle Match

Proposal
RFC Winter Air Rifle Match

Musings: A collection of brain droppings.

Mission?
A casual and fun event for beginners to experts while Pursuing Your Own Excellence. Trying different equipment, stance, hold, pellets, temperature, Etc. You are shooting against yourself.

Time?
How about no time limit. No pressure. Pursue your goal at your own pace. Establish your own best procedure and habits. Then speed it up in regular competition.

Distance?
It appears that most of the posts are comfortable with 10 meters (~33 Ft.) which is an acceptable standard.

Position?
The standing position is the most difficult test in shooting. If you have a handicap, sitting is OK but elbows must be free of contact.

Caliber?
.177 & .22 are the most selected, start with that. Same target. KISS principal applies. Only one target to worry about.

Number of shots?
Starting out, how about 10. If you want to do more, shoot more and post your best.

Frequency?
Every two weeks.

Posting Info?
Name, Match No, Rifle Mfg, Sight, Caliber, Pellet, Position, Indoor/Outdoor, Score.
Target picture is optional.

Target?
A down-loadable target, 10 meter with a black area in the 9 ring area with a white center. (I like the 5 bull, 2 shots per bull = 10) Then it's more user friendly for iron sights, peep sights and scopes.

Equipment?
Air rifle, springer, single pump, multi-pump, PCP, CO2.
__________________________________________________ _____________________________
These are just a few thoughts to start with. What is yours?

I would like to have a target we select first so we can practice now.
Anyone have a source, idea, link?

Pointfocus, P.M.O.E.
Old 11-22-2014, 02:11 PM
David Valdina

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Targets to use...

I like the idea of ten record bulls to a page. The first three targets that would be acceptable to me are all printed on paper that is 10" x 12" approximately. All have different scoring ring spacing. Given my degree of accuracy/inaccuracy and the fact that we are shooting against ourselves, the scoring rings don't matter much. The measurements were made by me with the best ruler I could find. Official dimensions may be reported differently.

NRA 10 Meter Air Rifle Target has a black with rings out to #4 inside a diameter of 1.2" A .22 pellet will span over two scoring rings and a .177 pellet will span almost two scoring rings. 10 record bulls and two sighter bulls per page.

NRA 50 Ft. Rifle Target has the same number of record and spotting bulls per page. The black with rings out to #3 spans 1.4 inches. The scoring rings are only slightly larger than the air rifle target and for all practical purposes these would be interchangeable.

U.S. Army Official 50 Ft. Small Bore Rifle Target is an easier and more forgiving target. It has one sighter bull and ten record bulls. The black spans 1.5" and contains rings through #6. I am not sure how available it is.

U.S.B.R. target has 3 spotter bulls and 25 record bulls. The outside of the paper is 14"x16" but cut down 12 bulls will fit on a typewriter size paper, 8.5"x11", so photocopying would work just fine. This will have the largest of the ring size and the outside of the largest ring, a #4 ring, measures a tad over 4 inches.

We could start these matches with the easier targets, then move up to the more difficult ones. As long as we post what equipment we are using and what target we are using, we will have ease of entry to the games and maybe others will join in.
Old 11-22-2014, 03:28 PM
artanmac

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I am good with the NRA 10 meter air rifle target (AR5/10) or the NRA 50 foot small bore target (A17). I will see if I can find printable versions and post them. Had them at one point I know.
Old 11-22-2014, 03:49 PM
pointfocus

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
RFC Winter Air Rifle Match

Quote:
Originally Posted by artanmac View Post
I am good with the NRA 10 meter air rifle target (AR5/10) or the NRA 50 foot small bore target (A17). I will see if I can find printable versions and post them. Had them at one point I know.
Sounds good. I'll also try a search. You selected some excellent options.

I pulled my old favorite AR out of storage. A daisy 953 with mods. Zeroed it and ready to start the music.

Thanks for starting this.

Pointfocus
P.M.O.E.
Old 11-22-2014, 03:59 PM
David Valdina

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
American Target Company, A-17 & prices

I can afford to buy targets, and at under a dime a page, these may cost you less than making photocopies. And the tag board makes it a LOT easier to score the targets. Pellets at their slow speeds tend to tear paper making out where they hit difficult.

A 17
50 Foot Small Bore
11 Bullseye, 1 Sighting, 10 Record
Official NRA Target
Size: 10 1/2 X 12
Type: Tag Board
Per 250: $23.50.9.4 cents each
Per 500: $37.50.7.5 cents each
Per 1000: $67.00..6.7 cents each
(Plus shipping)