Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 05-26-2014, 01:07 PM
VonFatman
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Shopkeeper ... Extraction is a major pain

Anyone have a solution? I bought the gun for my grandson last summer and we don't even shoot it now because extraction is such pain.

Bob
Old 05-26-2014, 01:35 PM
Kiteman72

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Ok, this isn't really a "fix" so much as a technique, but what I do is to try to get the extractor rod to "ride" the side of the cylinder. This usually causes an empty case to pop free because you're pushing on the side of the empty, rather than the top. It doesn't hurt to put a little English on it, it you know what I mean.

I hope that makes sense. And it doesn't always work like a charm either, sometimes ya just gotta pluck that empty out. In any case, I've found this little revolver, fantastic as it is, to be hard on the fingers no matter what one tries to do.
Old 05-26-2014, 02:23 PM
Lefty Dude
US Navy Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Try an other brand of ammo.
Some brands are hard to extract in my RSS.
What shoots best in my RSS, is Winchester Dynapoints, CCI Standard velocity, CCI blazers.
If I have a long shooting or plinking session, when the chambers get a little dirty and need attention. I carry a short cleaning rod with a 25 cal. nylon bore brush attached. This removal of the chamber fouling lets me continue, and also cartridge extraction is much easier.
The 25 cal. bore nylon brush is perfect for this purpose.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-26-2014, 10:01 PM
VonFatman

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Well, thank you gentlemen. Those are very good ideas.

Kiteman,
A little 'English' during extraction sounds like a good idea. I will give it a try.

Lefty Dude,
I have some standard velocity CCI as well as a couple bricks of Blazers. I'll try them both.w

Good stuff!

Bob
Old 05-27-2014, 12:43 PM
VonFatman

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Flysalot,
What did they do to solve the problem?

Bob
Old 05-27-2014, 06:18 PM
chicharrones
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by VonFatman View Post
. . . we don't even shoot it now because extraction is such pain.

Bob
When I got my Single Six new a couple years ago I had major extraction problems with both cylinders. With the .22LR cylinder I could get half a dozen cylinders fired before extraction became sticky. With the .22 WMR cylinder extraction became a problem within two cylinders full.

Sticky extraction wasn't the only problem. Once dirty, loading rounds all the way in was very troublesome. For whatever reason I didn't send mine in to Ruger. What I did was polish the chambers in the cylinder.

Probably the preferred method is using a hone like shown here. http://www.ktgunsmith.com/polish_chambers.htm

Yet, I also read about plenty of people using another method using a slotted cleaning rod tip mounted in a drill. You run a cloth patch (the diaper kind) through the slot and wrapped over the tip end then coat it in fine polish compound. I happened to have Mother's liquid chrome polish. I've read of others using JB bore paste.

Anyway, you run that tight patch in a chamber on your drill to smooth out the tooling marks. You run it in and out and let the polish dry up a bit and get dirty brown. Change out the patch and repeat until you see lessened tool marks. Then move on to another chamber. The cylinder will get warm from friction from the polish and it will take some time. I'm sure a hone like mentioned above will go quicker, but a Bearcat only has one cylinder versus a convertible Single Six's two.

Clean out any left over polish residue real good after that.

After all that, my Single Six became a real blast to shoot. A whole lot more smiles.

If you aren't up for doing that to a new gun, which I understand, then let Ruger do the honing and polishing.
Old 05-31-2014, 02:00 PM
paochow

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
I can tell you what doesn't work..... Rounding the tip of the ejector rod. It worked great to speed up the ejection on my regular Bearcat and Single Sixes/Ten, but made it nearly impossible to eject the spent casings on the Shopkeeper. I called Ruger to order a new one, admitted fault, and the salesperson refused to take my money and sent me out a replacement for free. With customer service like that it is no surprise I own so many Rugers.
Old 05-31-2014, 11:11 PM
VonFatman

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
I have not done a thing to the ejector rod. It's too short to eject the casings. I may need to call Ruger and see what they can do.

Bob
Old 06-01-2014, 08:35 AM
paochow

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
When I had called Ruger I was told that the shopkeeper was more of a carry a lot shoot a little pistol. After tinkering with it, it is pretty clear that aside from installing a longer barrel and ejector rod, the only way to eject casings is to do what others had mentioned and use the side tip of the rod to hook the mouth of the cartridge and polish the cylinders.
Old 06-01-2014, 10:02 PM
VonFatman

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Paochow,
You have nailed it. I'm taking it out this week and will try what kiteman suggested and try some different ammo for grins.

Bob

Thanks for the ideas !