Ruger 10/22 Step by Step - Page 5 - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 05-01-2014, 03:35 PM
FlysAlot

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)

Look in page one, just made a post. 50 yards with CCI blazer only mod a Kidd drop in trigger group. The rifle shoots better but not much. So far all stock except a trigger group!

Pro Patria

Cives Arma Ferant

Cuiusque Devotio est Vis Regimenti

Last edited by FlysAlot; 01-11-2015 at 09:21 AM.
Old 05-01-2014, 03:42 PM
Chaser
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! UotM

TPC Rating: 
100% (74)
Send a message via AIM to Chaser
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlysAlot View Post
Look in page one, just made a post. 50 yards with CCI blazer only mid a Kidd drop in trigger group. The rifle shoots better but not much. So far all stock except a trigger group!
Send it to me..I will make it shoot...win/win..have more time for the Family

But it may be minus the KID goodies when ya get it back ...
Old 05-01-2014, 10:01 PM
ivan

TPC Rating: 
100% (5)
Where in N Central Florida are you? I'm in the gainesville area, as are several others...

Think the only thing wrong with your methadology is 2 rifles does not a statistical sample make. And, crowdsourcing your research data wouldn't work either - too much variation in shooter skill, etc. Otherwise, sounds like a great test.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-01-2014, 10:29 PM
O.G.

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I'm subscribing to this thread. Good work.
Old 05-02-2014, 07:48 AM
FlysAlot

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ivan View Post
Where in N Central Florida are you? I'm in the gainesville area, as are several others...

Think the only thing wrong with your methadology is 2 rifles does not a statistical sample make. And, crowdsourcing your research data wouldn't work either - too much variation in shooter skill, etc. Otherwise, sounds like a great test.
Williston...

I'm not going for a scientific test... I'm trying to prove which 10/22 mods make the most difference in accuracy and reliability. Everyone say's when you buy a 10/22, "you have to do x, y & z before it will shoot well."

That's simply not true.

The first thing you should do to a 10/22 is shoot it with and without the barrel band. There can be no assessing of accuracy without that crutial first step, my results clearly prove that.

I took a stock rifle and made 1/4 groups at 25 yards with no barrel band. AND USING BULK AMMO!

So I've eliminated as many variables as I can. 1 shooter, 1 lot of ammo, 1 set of parts, etc. How could I possibly get a better sample? I can't test 300 10/22's. I'm going to let the fact that there are 5+ Million of them that are mostly the same make up for that. Sheesh everyone is trying to make this complicated, "shoot further, throw in match ammo, etc." The point is to eliminate the advantage of ammo and test EACH PART by itself. simple.

Oh... look on page 1 post 3-4. Factory rifle. No barrel band. 50 yards in lots of wind, on a shooting bag with CCI Blazer.

How bad is that?

The second rifle can't shoot to save its life. the first one is about as perfect as can be given a stock rifle...

Last edited by FlysAlot; 05-03-2014 at 08:02 PM.
Old 05-03-2014, 03:59 PM
ivan

TPC Rating: 
100% (5)
Quote:
So I've eliminated as many variables as I can. 1 shooter, 1 lot of ammo, 1 set of parts, etc. How could I possibly get a better sample?
When doing statistical analysis of a large population (ie, the number of ruger 10/22s out there) there is a general rule of "at least 10 but not more than 10%".

I've done some googling to find the actual reference, but my stats class was so long ago I can't remember the exact term used.

Where do you shoot? I used to go down to a subdivision that failed many moons ago that was just past Dunnellon but now that I'm in High Springs I drive up to the Lake City range... we should meet up some time and burn some powder.
Old 05-03-2014, 04:26 PM
DrGunner
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! UotM

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Tim, I think what you are doing here is a laudable effort to provide some important data that many of us want to know. Unfortunately, when you decide to invest your time to "test" something in the waters of RFC, there never seems to be a shortage of naysayers, critics, and detractors who will tell you why what you're doing is either insufficient or not representative. It's unfortunate that some cannot simply look at your selfless work and see the merits in the information it provides for the good of all the members. I personally applaud you for donating your time, effort, and money, and I'm thankful to you for taking the time to provide useful data for us all that will be helpful moving forward in making decisions about our own rifles.

Respectfully, DrGunner
Old 05-03-2014, 05:08 PM
GladesGuy
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Great thread Flysalot! Looking forward to the future mods and how they work out. Didn't realize you are in that part of Florida, had it in my noggin you were somewhere down in So.Fla. like me. Funny you're in Williston as the nature coast was the one part of Florida I didn't really know after so many years in Florida. Last year when I dropped my son off at FSU in Tally, my wife and I drove back down on old route 19 through Homosassa and Weekiwachee. Amazing to see big chunks of countryside with almost no population.

PS best wishes for your parents' speedy recovery!
Old 05-03-2014, 07:58 PM
FlysAlot

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by GladesGuy View Post
Great thread Flysalot! Looking forward to the future mods and how they work out. Didn't realize you are in that part of Florida, had it in my noggin you were somewhere down in So.Fla. like me. Funny you're in Williston as the nature coast was the one part of Florida I didn't really know after so many years in Florida. Last year when I dropped my son off at FSU in Tally, my wife and I drove back down on old route 19 through Homosassa and Weekiwachee. Amazing to see big chunks of countryside with almost no population.

PS best wishes for your parents' speedy recovery!
I live it Ft Lauderdale, my Brother in Law lives in Williston near Mom & Dad. I did some testing at his farm when I was there in February.

I try and visit as much as possible. Sadly there's not going to be a good outcome to this. Dad is 86 and has Parkinson's. He's keenly aware of his odds. I must admit, he's the bravest guy I know. I'm just helping them get things in order. It's sad but fun reminiscing guns with dad.
Old 05-03-2014, 08:08 PM
Dextersp12

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Everyone say's when you buy a 10/22, "you have to do x, y & z before it will shoot well."

That's simply not true.

I agree. I made a post awhile ago that the trigger Does Not Suck! Then the naysayers came in and said how much better the trigger was after they spent $$$$$$ for XYZ trigger mod.
Old 05-03-2014, 08:25 PM
FlysAlot

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dextersp12 View Post
I agree. I made a post awhile ago that the trigger Does Not Suck! Then the naysayers came in and said how much better the trigger was after they spent $$$$$$ for XYZ trigger mod.
Well, I think my 10/22 triggers sux but I did knuckle down and make them work with the stock unit. That being said, I'm MUCH happier with the modded trigger. They haven't helped a ton but I also had a pretty good canvas to begin with

Old 05-03-2014, 08:26 PM
Chas100

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
I live it Ft Lauderdale, my Brother in Law lives in Williston near Mom & Dad. I did some testing at his farm when I was there in February.

I try and visit as much as possible. Sadly there's not going to be a good outcome to this. Dad is 86 and has Parkinson's. He's keenly aware of his odds. I must admit, he's the bravest guy I know. I'm just helping them get things in order. It's sad but fun reminiscing guns with dad.

Flys

I just found this post. Great one !! I'm from Hollywood FL, right next door. Living in NE Ohio now !! Sorry to hear of the family medical issues. God Bless all !!

Chas
Old 05-04-2014, 08:42 AM
GladesGuy

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Sorry to hear about your dad FlysAlot. I went through a similar situation with my dad about 10 years ago and I miss him every day. Hope you get to spend more quality time with him. Meanwhile, glad to see I wasn't imagining things about you being in this neck of the woods. Again, thanks for the great thread!
Old 05-04-2014, 10:02 AM
mac66
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! Appleseed Member Appleseed Rifleman

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ivan View Post
When doing statistical analysis of a large population (ie, the number of ruger 10/22s out there) there is a general rule of "at least 10 but not more than 10%".

I've done some googling to find the actual reference, but my stats class was so long ago I can't remember the exact term used.

Where do you shoot? I used to go down to a subdivision that failed many moons ago that was just past Dunnellon but now that I'm in High Springs I drive up to the Lake City range... we should meet up some time and burn some powder.
He is not doing statistical analysis he is doing a random sampling of two stock rifles to see what improvements do what. I think it is a valid comparison.
Old 05-04-2014, 12:08 PM
austin870
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (6)
I'm not trying to take anything away from this great thread but only add my own recent similar experience as people seem to be looking for more similar experiences.

I recently bought 2 stock 10/22's. One is a Walmart special I just put into a custom walnut stock. Both bought new and before shooting I sent the triggers out to Brimstone for their Tier 3 job at 2lbs. I sent the bolts to QUE for a $35 rework. I then removed the barrel bands and pillar bedded the guns per the instructions on this site. I hand polished every part and cleaned the living crap out of both barrels before shooting them.

Both will consistently shoot Wolf MT and Blazer 1/2" at 50yds. Didn't try anything else. I used a good bench setup at a range and Bushnell 4200 Elite 6X24 for testing. This is just shooting with no regard to wind etc or using Eley or Lapua etc.

Since I did all this prior to shooting it is highly possible these guns would have shot this well with just the trigger job. Still, I only have $70 additional per gun and that's mainly cause I am lazy. I do believe going from 6lbs plus to 2lbs is the single most important factor affecting accuracy you can do. After that your bang for the buck goes down massively.