Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 12-07-2013, 03:15 PM
ThunderStick
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)

Got'm both, love'm both! NOW, IMO, an auto like the MKIII Ruger is "generally" easier to shoot well with as well as maintain. Revolvers, on the other hand, have their own quirks, but can be quite accurate. I use my 617 revolver as practice, as I carry a revolver as a CCW. I'm not even sure if a revolver is actually more reliable, heck there are more moving parts in some revolvers than many autos, and they all have to align perfect! The key is to have your firearms properly maintained at all times! You just can't go wrong with either, if, you buy good quality!
Old 12-07-2013, 04:36 PM
Gillis2

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
I want to thank you all for your very informative answers. You guys are right, I will probably end up buying both eventually. I am still undecided. I have already tried the Ruger Mark series (lent by a fellow shooter). I guess I should try a revolver and then decide.

Many thanks again

Gilbert
Old 12-07-2013, 11:52 PM
alnico357
Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I like revolvers and have two in .22 LR, a S&W 617 and a Ruger SP-101. I will say they get dirty quickly from the .22 round and are no fun to clean. For this reason I'd go with autos if forced to have one or the other.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-09-2013, 03:37 PM
62rat
US Air Force Veteran Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I personally prefer revolvers, probably because I'm old and that is what I started with. I have two S&W's, a 617 and an early K22. Both are excellent shooters and very accurate. I also have a couple of Ruger Single Six's. I have two Ruger semi autos, a Mk 1 that I hardly shoot and a Mk 2 Target that I put an after-market trigger in. The Mk 2 is very accurate but I would never carry it because the trigger is just too light for general use.

All that said, if I had to choose just one I would go with the 617. It feels right, is accurate and reliable. As stated above, a revolver is not fussy about ammo and will function with anything of the proper caliber.

Try them both and see what you like best. Gun preferences tend to be a very personal thing and everybody is different. Have fun shopping around and let us know what you decide.
Old 12-09-2013, 04:08 PM
Kestrel4k

TPC Rating: 
100% (13)
If I could have only two .22 handguns it would be my S&W 317 Airlite (3" bbl, adjustable sights) and my Ruger MkII 5.5" Target.
If I could have only one .22 handgun I would move to where I could have two .22 handguns.
Old 12-09-2013, 08:51 PM
hamden

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
I have both S&W 17 target revolver and Colt OMM .22 revolver. I hardly ever shoot them. That might answer your question.

Old 12-09-2013, 10:54 PM
donw
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

in the high desert of southern kalifphornia
TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
there ain't nuthin wrong with a revolver...
Old 12-10-2013, 01:00 AM
Kermit1945

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I've owned both, but am now purely a revolver guy. You may not be. My first .22 handgun was a Ruger Mk I, and I've owned a couple of other brass tossers. Now it's all S&W and Colt revolvers.

One thing: every S&W revolver I own is worth way more than I paid.
Old 12-10-2013, 09:12 AM
TEDDY BEAR RAT
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! UotM

TPC Rating: 
100% (33)
One thing that often goes unmentioned in the old revolver vs auto debate is safety in the field. With an automatic, unless you carry it without a round in the chamber, or unload the chamber after each shot, there is always a live round in the chamber with a cocked hammer or striker waiting to fire that round. Yes, autos have safeties, but I have always felt more comfortable with a double action revolver in the field. The DA revolver is just safer, whether you've just fired a shot and leave the hammer down on the the spent case, or even in the event you leave the hammer down on a chamber with a live round. With an auto, I always unload the chamber after taking a shot in the field if I'm going to be walking around much. Granted, most do not do this, but I have no worries after a shot with a revolver.

JME,

TBR
Old 12-10-2013, 07:25 PM
bearcatter

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I've always preferred revolvers. I like the simpler operation, and the fact that most any ammo I feed it will perform acceptably.

Rimfire is the hardest ammo to get to fuction well in a semi-auto, because of the rimmed case. A broken-in Ruger Mark pistol fuctions as well or better than any rimfire pistol made, but still has the occaisional hiccup.
Old 12-11-2013, 11:04 PM
scooternut

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
My S & W 63- 3 inch is my favorite gun to carry when out walking in the woods, riding my motorcycles (stop to shoot), general target shooting, plinking, etc.

That S & W trigger is worth every penny. I mostly shoot mine double action, sure glad I spent the extra money over ruger taurus, etc
Old 12-12-2013, 02:27 PM
jjrsibur

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
When in doubt, buy one of each. I have a K22 and a Browning Buckmark. They are both good guns. I handled the Buckmark and it felt good in my hand , so I bought it. You might try handling the a few of each and see what feels good to you.
Old 12-13-2013, 05:34 PM
sarg1c

Eastern Kentucky, amid Three great lakes and not far from free roaming Elk.
TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I like the S/W 63,but thats me....
Old 12-13-2013, 05:38 PM
sarg1c

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I like the S/W 63....great gun,nice to shoot...
Old 12-13-2013, 05:42 PM
sarg1c

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by scooternut View Post
My S & W 63- 3 inch is my favorite gun to carry when out walking in the woods, riding my motorcycles (stop to shoot), general target shooting, plinking, etc.

That S & W trigger is worth every penny. I mostly shoot mine double action, sure glad I spent the extra money over ruger taurus, etc
The trigger on my 63 is the nicest pull than any gun I've ever shot...I like my H/S H-B, but it's not my Smith..

Last edited by sarg1c; 12-13-2013 at 05:44 PM.