Old Ruger Bearcat question - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 08-27-2013, 02:07 PM
chiburi
US Coast Guard Veteran Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (5)
Old Ruger Bearcat question

I just purchased an 1966/67 Bearcat. It has the conversion done to it but is coming with the original parts to convert it back. I wont have the gun until next week but was checking to see what it entails to convert it back. I don't plan on carrying/holstering it loading. Thanks for any help.
Old 08-28-2013, 09:40 AM
nwellons
US Air Force Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I can't answer your question but I was wondering what the advantage would be in converting it back. I have one that was never converted and have been considering it but only carry it (safely) to the back yard range and shoot it from time to time. I had been shooting it for many rears before I heard about the recall, if that is what you would call it.
Old 08-28-2013, 10:01 AM
MaterDei
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I have an older one that needed to be sent back to Ruger for timing issues. Ruger sent it back to me with the conversion done and with the original parts. I saw no reason to convert it back but there are only a few parts so I can't be that hard, right?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-28-2013, 10:09 AM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
The only thing you might gain is improving the trigger - converted triggers are SOMETIMES not as good as the original. If your trigger is reasonable, though, I'd leave it alone. You will need to do a complete disassembly, pulling the trigger guard off, opening the action and removing the hammer. Not bad if you've torn into a Ruger SA, before, but a bit daunting if this is the first time for you. The small size of the Bearcat doesn't make it any easier, either.

I'm also with nwellons on the safety. A converted gun is safer to handle and carry. Since you do have the original parts and, especially if the conversion was done by Ruger, the gun will maintain its value, as is. Open it up and botch the job converting it back and you risk decreasing the value.
Old 08-28-2013, 01:07 PM
bearcatter

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Ruger's website has manuals for both old and new model Bearcats. The exploded views will be some help, along with the instructions given in the manuals.

https://ruger-docs.s3.amazonaws.com/...at-under93.pdf

https://ruger-docs.s3.amazonaws.com/...newBearcat.pdf

There are also videos of disassembly and reassembly of new model Bearcats, which may be helpful.

http://www.ruger.com/resources/videos.html?vidID=005004

http://www.ruger.com/resources/videos.html?vidID=005005

Last edited by bearcatter; 08-28-2013 at 01:10 PM. Reason: adding links