Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 07-17-2013, 04:09 PM
.22dope
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Any interest in nickel plating marlin bolts

I owned a Rem 597 and always enjoyed how easy the bolt was to clean. I am in need of a new hobby and have been thinking about nickel plating for over 10 years now. I am wanting to know if electroless nickel plating of Marlin parts is anything you guys are interested in?

I thought the bolt would be the most logical and most requested part to be plated. I know there are guys here who own multiple guns and have boxes of spare parts for them. I am trying to assess interest in people who would want to be guinea pigs in getting their bolts and/or other parts plated.

The first batch I would do would be at cost and for those who are going to use the parts imediatley so I can get feedback on how durable the finish is and the pro/cons of the process.

Please soundoff below and/or shoot me a pm if you are serious about having something plated.
Old 07-17-2013, 07:53 PM
Ira NZ

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I'm not clear on what the point would be. As it is the bolt doesn't rust, it doesn't need much more than a quick wipe to clean it other than in any little crevices and edges. And nickel plating won't do anything for that unless you fill in bits.
Old 07-19-2013, 03:55 PM
.22dope
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
ahhh

Ahh. You have never seen the bolt on a Rem 597 and do not understand. The point would be to deposit a layer of nickel onto the plain steel marlin bolt.

Obviously there is no interest in this here. I will have to inquire elsewhere as this is a common upgrade that many take who own semi-autos.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-19-2013, 11:15 PM
dakight
US Army Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
The marlin autoloader bolt is not "plain steel;" it is stainless steel and all it really needs is a bit of polishing to look good and perform well.