Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 03-03-2013, 10:14 PM
1917-1911M
US Army Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Walther/S&W M&P22

There are a few things about this pistol that seem to me to come from P22 discussion. Walther incorporated them into this pistol. The question is...why didn't they incorporate them into the Q model of the P22?

The pistol works fine, fit and finish is good. It points well, has good sights, is accurate. I will shoot it against a new P22 shortly and post the difference in groups if any. OK, some pictures and comments as usual. Did I mention.....this is a big pistol?

When the 1911 style safety is placed in safe it sure gets in the way of grabbing the slide by the serrations. The safety is higher up and farther forward and doesn't really feel like a 1911. The 1911 safety has much better thumb ergonomics in my opinion. But the biggest problem is the safety takes up a lot of room where you need to be grasping the serrations.

The magazine release button worked very nicely and very easily. The only issue I had was it released too easily as it sticks out pretty far from the grip. This is good for an easy thumb press but lay the pistol down on the release and it can release the mag. A little less protrusion would have been perhaps better.

That striker has a lot of facets to it's face. The ejector is seen just above the left side of the magazine.

Finally, they got the old chamber entrance mod down right. Notice the smooth chamfer from about 4 to 7 o:clock. And, they kept the polishing off of the thin chamber rim at the extractor cut. The extractor is at about the 2:30 position and not 3:00 like in the P22. Ejection is very consistent and with good authority.

The feed ramp is nicely machined. I have no idea why there is a square cut out of it. This would seem to make for a rough transition from feed ramp into the chamber but the pistol didn't have any issues here. I hand cycled several hollow point types of ammo and none of them caught on the lower edge of the chamber and there were no marks on the nose. Firing has been 100% to date. The ramp is very steep. Hand extraction is so smooth....it makes the P22 look kind of pitiful. The extractor performs it's job very nicely. There is a reason for this.

Look at the size of that Buffer... Bigger than the O ring in the P22 mod... The striker still drags down one side of the breech block though. Notice no safety drum for anything to hang up on. You can install the slide without a guide rod although you can still kink the recoil spring if you aren't careful. It is still longer than other firearms. The guide rod is metal.

Alright Walther.....we've been hollering about this for years. On this pistol you extended the bottom of the breech block just enough so that the rim of a round is securely held in place on the face of the breech block. This makes for excellent hand ejection and consistent ejection direction when firing. Why couldn't you have made a small change to the P22 breech face so a round would stay put on it.

And look at how that extractor fits.....nice and tight, short pivot. Must be from a Ruger or a Smith. Anyway, this design works 100%. Sure seems like they could take all we've posted about the P22 and ejection issues and fix the extractor and breech face like this.

Did I mention this is a big pistol. Could have held 50 rounds in that grip. OK, there are some pictures for you boys and girls and this pistol fires and functions nicely. Did I mention it is a big pistol. It isn't mine, someone loaned it to me to see what I think. I think it's time Walther made a few more improvements to the P22, that's what I think. And, send me a new PPK/S to test for them.....uhhh.....with some ammo too. Lots of it. M1911
Old 03-04-2013, 12:22 AM
'ol shooter
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (125)
Looks like the P-22's fat sister! Obviously made to work as a trainer for the centerfires, and probably is dandy for that use. Question, with the safety up, does the slide not lock like a 1911? I ask because of the remark you made about the lever being in the way of the slide serrations.
Old 03-04-2013, 09:39 PM
PicketWire
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
The safety does not lock the slide as with the 1911 design.
I've really been enjoying the M&P22, its a great fun gun.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-04-2013, 10:01 PM
1917-1911M
US Army Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
The slot in the feed ramp is obviously for the forward section of the breech block that secures the rim on the face of the breech block. Duh......should have seen that. M1911
Old 01-02-2014, 02:00 PM
Out West

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
I'm a big M&P fan and really looked forward to owning this pistol. However, mine had light strike issues that were not resolved by trip back to the factory.

I got rid of it. I truly wish mine had worked like yours.

Out
West
Old 01-03-2014, 06:21 AM
GSCSA
US Navy Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I love mine! It shoots anything I feed it. Lately I have been running a bunch of the Russian steel cased ammo (Junior) through it as I have an abundance of it. I've had one misfire.
Old 01-04-2014, 01:04 PM
Out West

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
GSCSA, steel case rimfire ammo; are you sure it is steel case?

Out
West
Old 01-04-2014, 02:34 PM
'ol shooter

TPC Rating: 
100% (125)
Neither my P-22 or my M&P are picky about ammo, something that cannot be said of my Kimber conversion kit, which likes to feast on Mini Mags.
Old 01-04-2014, 03:58 PM
1bayouboy

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Your usual thorough job M1911....very nice review!! That extension on the bottom of the breech block explains the cut out in the feed ramp. It looks like it would be a good pistol to practice with if you have a larger caliber M&P. Interested in the shooting review, especially how positive you think the trigger reset is...?
Old 01-05-2014, 01:42 AM
'ol shooter

TPC Rating: 
100% (125)
I just got an M&Pc in 9mm, and the grips are identical to my M&P 22. The Compact shoots way better for me than my Beretta 92FC. So much fun to shoot a .22 that has relatives in the center fire realm.
Old 01-19-2017, 02:07 AM
DeathValleyMike

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I haven't shot any 22LR pistols other than my Walther P22 and my Sig Mosquito .

I wouldn't part with my Walther , and I wouldn't give you $20 for another Mosquito !
The Sig is more ammo sensitive than any firearm I have ever owned !It will cycle CCI stingers flawlessly until the 100 mark . Then it starts to have some jamming issues . Clean it and get another 100 rounds out of it . But Stingers are hard to come by .
My P22 cycles anything and everything , and it's accurate enough to shoot 20oz bottles freehand at 60 yards !
Old 01-19-2017, 02:04 PM
1917-1911M
US Army Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
The compact S&W M&P .22 is very similar to the Walter made full size version although it is made in-house by Smith. If you saw my thread on it....after three barrels the pistol still would not group, the broach rifling method is rough, rough, rough. The barrels they provided me got worse with each replacement.

But the pistol was very reliable. Steel barrel/chamber solidly pinned to the frame after being tightly fitted to the frame. Trigger bar along the right side of the frame and the same style of sear that catches the hammer by the tip....no conventional hooks. I'll have to look back to see if the bottom bar was retained to hold a round on the face of the breech block....for some reason I don't think it was. In any event the pistol ran 100% on all bulk ammo I tried, the slide is 29% lighter than the P22 but....the barrels were no good. At least Walther makes excellent barrels.

I see a lot of similarities in the Walther PPQ M2 .22 internally as well and why not.....Walther builds the full size Smith. 1917