New Project!: Making A Brass 10/22 Receiver From Scratch - Page 2 - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 01-22-2013, 09:43 AM
rwadley
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member Appleseed Member Appleseed Rifleman

TPC Rating: 
100% (21)

Quote:
Originally Posted by azmbl22 View Post
I'm watching... FTR the bike gun is still tied for my all time top favorite RFC build
What "bike gun?" I searched, but couldn't find it.
Old 01-22-2013, 09:58 AM
Kraaash

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Get this done yet?
Old 01-22-2013, 11:07 AM
rwadley
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member Appleseed Member Appleseed Rifleman

TPC Rating: 
100% (21)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlysAlot View Post
Find posts by Teddy Bear Rat, it was one of his first builds/posts on RFC...

oops found it!

https://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums...d.php?t=298979
Thanks. That IS cool!

Last edited by rwadley; 01-22-2013 at 11:12 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-22-2013, 01:55 PM
KenV

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
There is a seller on ebay selling full drawings of the 10/22, may be worth a look.
Do a search for "Ruger 10/22 Rifle Drawings Receiver Blueprints". Looked to be pretty complete.
Old 01-22-2013, 02:03 PM
TEDDY BEAR RAT
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! UotM

TPC Rating: 
100% (33)
Man thanks for the heads up. I just bought a set.
Thanks again!

TBR
Old 01-22-2013, 02:43 PM
azguy

TPC Rating: 
100% (18)
Hey TBR
Once you have checked them againsat a reciever, which I assume you will do, let me know how accurate they are please. I may be interested in a set myself. I have compared a bunch of the other stuff on the web and it all leaves much to be desired as far as being accurate. Hopefully these prints are what they are described to be.

]Love that bike build. Amazing ingenuity and creativeness guy
Old 01-22-2013, 03:34 PM
TEDDY BEAR RAT

TPC Rating: 
100% (33)
Quote:
Originally Posted by azguy View Post
Hey TBR
Once you have checked them againsat a reciever, which I assume you will do, let me know how accurate they are please. I may be interested in a set myself. I have compared a bunch of the other stuff on the web and it all leaves much to be desired as far as being accurate. Hopefully these prints are what they are described to be.

]Love that bike build. Amazing ingenuity and creativeness guy
Will do.

The drawings I already have are helpful enough, but one could never build a complete receiver from them. It seems much of the problem will be machining a receiver that is usually cast. Looking at the Ruger receiver, there are many areas that would be impossible to machine with conventional end mills and cutters, like the recoil spring guide detent recess. It is cast into the inside of the Ruger receiver with the detent hole punched in, maybe? I see no way to get a drill into that point on a finished receiver. A dentist's drill might do it. I have a milled VQ receiver at home, but I haven't taken the rifle apart yet to examine it.

TBR
Old 01-22-2013, 07:57 PM
ghgrosh
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
In the competition kit for the Razor 80% receiver they include a 3/32"x 8" bit to drill that recess.

http://www.ruger1022receiver.com/
Old 01-22-2013, 08:25 PM
azguy

TPC Rating: 
100% (18)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TEDDY BEAR RAT View Post
Will do.

The drawings I already have are helpful enough, but one could never build a complete receiver from them. It seems much of the problem will be machining a receiver that is usually cast. Looking at the Ruger receiver, there are many areas that would be impossible to machine with conventional end mills and cutters, like the recoil spring guide detent recess. It is cast into the inside of the Ruger receiver with the detent hole punched in, maybe? I see no way to get a drill into that point on a finished receiver. A dentist's drill might do it. I have a milled VQ receiver at home, but I haven't taken the rifle apart yet to examine it.

TBR
Hey TBR
Over at Lowes they have a 6" and a longer drill extension. The "chuck" fits 1/4 hex end bits. The chuck also fits thru the barrel receiver or shank hole. Should allow you to access that spot. Nothing but a simple really, so shouldn't take anything extravegent to do. Hope this helps
Old 01-22-2013, 08:46 PM
azguy

TPC Rating: 
100% (18)
Here's a pic of me using one while I was inletting a reciever for the KiDD Rear Tang. Works well on things, other than a drill, as well.

Old 01-22-2013, 08:52 PM
Free Man

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TEDDY BEAR RAT View Post
...lubriciousness...

huh huh...that's awesome. i'm gonna use that one on my wife tonight.
Old 01-22-2013, 08:56 PM
azguy

TPC Rating: 
100% (18)
Check out this thread TBR. Homebuilt steel receiver. Nice looking job with some creative workarounds that might come in handy guy.

http://www.homegunsmith.com/cgi-bin/...3;t=20977;st=0
Old 01-23-2013, 08:51 AM
TEDDY BEAR RAT

TPC Rating: 
100% (33)
Enlightening thread. I hope to make everything out of one piece of brass, but, like you indicated, there is some ingenious jerry-mandering going on there, which is always enlightening. Thanks.

As far as drilling that spring guide detent hole, the pure machinist in me would never allow me to access through the barrel shank hole (or use such a long, spindly drill), just because it would not be perfectly square, or in line. On the other hand, I'll probably end up having to do something similar. I've got many dentist friends...I'm thinking a right angle dentist's drill will do the trick. The bigger problem may be getting that little block that anchors the spring guide in there machined square. I know everyone probably uses a Dremel tool, or something like that, but that would be a last resort for me. I plan to tear down my Volquartsen machined receiver tonight and get some hints on how to machine this whole thing.

Thanks again,

TBR
Old 01-23-2013, 09:00 AM

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
I think that it would look great. Too bad you can send a block of brass to someone who has a CNC machine set up to machine 10/22 receivers. It sure would be quick.
Old 01-26-2013, 11:38 PM
cjsdad

TPC Rating: 
100% (5)
Send a message via AIM to cjsdad
I have several sets of blueprints for the 10-22 receiver. Here are the ones I have. I don't have the trigger group or the bolt, but those are available without FFL transfer.

Here ya go.