Best AR? - Page 3 - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 04-26-2012, 11:03 PM
XUSNORDY
US Navy Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Lefty no problemo

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCups View Post
But what if you want a LH little black rifle that doesn't spit in your face when you are popping away at the range? I keep seeing newer FN offerings on top shot that eject out the front and bottom and are ambidextrous. For a killobuck, should one shop for a LH AR or something else?

STAG ARMS....
Old 04-26-2012, 11:07 PM
XUSNORDY

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I'm going to get it again...

This question just came up a couple days ago about 1911's....and I said "build your own" and I caught some harshness.....you will know your rifle well inside and out....AR's practically snap together like a model....

Shop around the different suppliers like Brownells, Midway, etc....you can most likely build what you want and keep cost to a minimum and decent quality....trust me my wallet knows all to well...

Many have kits you can buy all at once without a stripped lower....although that restricts your build somewhat depending on what you want.

I enjoy the planning, searching, and satisfaction of building my own.
Old 04-27-2012, 09:22 AM
DialTone301
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Noveske, Colt, Daniel Defence, LMT and BCM are at the top....most of the rest are second tier at best.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-27-2012, 10:53 AM
age one
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by XUSNORDY View Post
This question just came up a couple days ago about 1911's....and I said "build your own" and I caught some harshness.....you will know your rifle well inside and out....AR's practically snap together like a model....

Shop around the different suppliers like Brownells, Midway, etc....you can most likely build what you want and keep cost to a minimum and decent quality....trust me my wallet knows all to well...

Many have kits you can buy all at once without a stripped lower....although that restricts your build somewhat depending on what you want.

pretty much the same with me.

I bought one.. I built two more for myself and one for my cousin, and honestly took the first one apart so far I might as well have assembled it.

assembling a lower is easy.

assembling a upper takes bit more in tools and time.

I have a 5.56, a 9mm and a 5.45x39. the 5.45x39 was the only one to ever give me any hassle and thats mostly due to the magazines but I've gotten them all straightened out now, I'm about threw with my first 5.45 spam can.. thing is so cheap to shoot
Old 04-27-2012, 12:51 PM
TPD211
Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by emb876 View Post
I own two .22 rifles and one .17hmr rifle. My father has a Ruger Mini-14 in 5.56 that we take to the range sometimes also. I think come this summer it will be time for me to make my first AR purchase.

Which AR would give me the best quality, durability, and accuracy for the best price? If a much higher priced rifle was much higher quality, more durable, and more accurate I could justify spending the money.

So far I've found some things saying either Stag Arms, Colt, or Bushmaster. I trust RFC opinions much more than something I randomly found on the web. Any suggestions?

Thanks
I bought a Spikes Mid-length about 2 years ago for Duty use. Mostly because Spikes is a 30 minute drive from the house in case it breaks, etc...
My Dept. has almost all Colts with a few DPMS issued. We went to Spikes AR's recently with no issues for some Dept purchases.
Like was mentioned, S&W M&P's are down to around 700.00 around here.
Colt, Noveske, RRA, LMT, and others etc. are considered top tier AR's.

Buy according to what you can afford and what you are going to ultimately use it for. I'm thinking plinking vs hunting vs target vs varmint shooting etc...

As mentioned building your own may be the way to go to get a AR built to your specific needs.

I retire in a few years and do plan to take up shooting again.
I'll paper punch with this AR and I can always buy a upper receiver for varmint/target shooting to my liking.
My current set-up is not for precision target shooting but then again its not meant to be. Whats neat about the AR platform is buying another upper can achieve the goal your after, like target shooting, etc...

I'm also thinking of going quiet and the 300 Whisper has me intrigued. 200-240 grain bullet at 1000 fps from the AR platform with a suppressor = fun

Photo of my Spikes Mid-length.
Added: Magpul handguard, Hogue grip, folding rear sight, Comp M red dot, single point sling, ambi-safety, filled in the safe/fire graphics and Elzetta flashlight mount and flashlight.

To Do: replace rear stock

Photo does not show Hogue grip, ambi safety or the Elzetta mount & flashlight, they were added later

Last edited by TPD211; 04-27-2012 at 12:54 PM.
Old 04-27-2012, 06:14 PM
Washooter
US Navy

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by XUSNORDY View Post

I didn't mean to be harsh in that other thread, but I will definitely agree with you here, that putting an AR together is within the capabilities of most folk who can get the parts, the tools and watch youtube.
Old 04-27-2012, 06:36 PM
Jim_WY

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I got in on a good deal for a RRA a few years ago. I've been very happy with it.

Nice trigger for something right out of the box. It seems well made and I have yet to have even one malfunction of any sort. Not one, ever. I have seen other folks have trouble with other ARs, and seen them be picky about ammo, etc. Not one problem with the RRA. humbup:
Old 04-27-2012, 07:42 PM
XUSNORDY

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Yup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim_WY View Post
I got in on a good deal for a RRA a few years ago. I've been very happy with it.

Nice trigger for something right out of the box. It seems well made and I have yet to have even one malfunction of any sort. Not one, ever. I have seen other folks have trouble with other ARs, and seen them be picky about ammo, etc. Not one problem with the RRA. humbup:

RRA has one of the best stock 2 stage triggers out there.........probably what you have instead of the single....just wait, it gets better with time...
Old 04-27-2012, 08:42 PM
Fladventurers
US Army Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by emb876 View Post
I own two .22 rifles and one .17hmr rifle. My father has a Ruger Mini-14 in 5.56 that we take to the range sometimes also. I think come this summer it will be time for me to make my first AR purchase.

Which AR would give me the best quality, durability, and accuracy for the best price? If a much higher priced rifle was much higher quality, more durable, and more accurate I could justify spending the money.

So far I've found some things saying either Stag Arms, Colt, or Bushmaster. I trust RFC opinions much more than something I randomly found on the web. Any suggestions?

Thanks
I still have a couple guns ahead of an AR on my priority list, but as far as OP's original question:

Can we have some feedback on why Bushmaster's warranty is a year, but RRA is lifetime?

They seem like they would be competitors, yet the warranty alone would sway me more towards the RRA

Fladv
Old 04-28-2012, 09:50 AM
vepr762

TPC Rating: 
91% (10)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fladventurers View Post
I still have a couple guns ahead of an AR on my priority list, but as far as OP's original question:

Can we have some feedback on why Bushmaster's warranty is a year, but RRA is lifetime?

They seem like they would be competitors, yet the warranty alone would sway me more towards the RRA

Fladv
If I am not mistaken.......Freedom Group owns Bushmaster.....just like they own Marlin, Remington, etc......

Last edited by vepr762; 04-28-2012 at 09:53 AM.
Old 04-28-2012, 10:27 AM
age one
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
one more thing I would add.

I will never buy another spikes lower.

I have two and the last one I got was out of spec.

I assembled all of it, when I went to install my upper the rear pin wouldn't go threw both holes. I had to reem out about .02" for the rear pin to go threw, and its very very tight.
Old 04-28-2012, 11:12 AM
XUSNORDY

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Out of spec or off center?

Quote:
Originally Posted by age one View Post
one more thing I would add.

I will never buy another spikes lower.

I have two and the last one I got was out of spec.

I assembled all of it, when I went to install my upper the rear pin wouldn't go threw both holes. I had to reem out about .02" for the rear pin to go threw, and its very very tight.
Maybe it was a Colt spec....
Old 04-28-2012, 11:36 AM
Eric300
Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (16)
Complete Colt upper (1995), Bushmaster lower (pre-ban), the rest I put together myself. It runs smooth all day long, and has been through quuite a few different week long LE Tactical Patrol Rifle training schools plus everyday use and yearly qualifications. Never any problems. I'll put it up against any of the so-called 'top tier' rifles any day.......

MagPul CTR butt stock - MagPul MOE hand guard - MagPul 4" rail (on bottom) - MagPul enhanced trigger guard - ERGO Sure Grip pistol grip - BADASS ambi safety - ARMS rear sight - YHM flip-up FS/GB with bottom rail - BattleComp 1.0 muzzle device - IWC micro QD sling mount (built into the left MOE) - TangoDown shorty QD/VG - Custom 3.5# single stage trigger - Daniel Defense T2 heavy buffer (4.3 oz tungston powder filled) - Sprinco extra power (blue) buffer spring and Sprinco enhanced extractor spring - KNS anti-walk/rotate FCG pins - Badger Ordinance Gen II tactical charging handle latch - Aim Point PRO optic - Surefire X300 light - Vickers Blue Force 2 point Tactical Combat Sling.

Last edited by Eric300; 05-10-2012 at 06:05 PM.
Old 04-29-2012, 03:14 AM
rico903

TPC Rating: 
95% (49)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DialTone301 View Post
Noveske, Colt, Daniel Defence, LMT and BCM are at the top....most of the rest are second tier at best.
Does that 2nd tier include Wilson Combat and Ed Brown and LWRC?
Old 04-29-2012, 11:11 AM
XUSNORDY

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rico903 View Post
Does that 2nd tier include Wilson Combat and Ed Brown and LWRC?
I've built so many now that parts are parts and can't tell much difference anymore (with a naked eye that is) except for price. If you are building a average rifle just to play and tinker with don't worry about what fancy pants "tier" level a manufacturer is beleived to be on.....just cause Larry Vickers is sponsered by Daniel Defense does not mean it's the best, Just because it says Wilson combat does not mean its better for your intended use, etc...etc....

If you are going to be expending 1000s and 1000s of rounds in training courses then sure, buy the best you can. Can a basement built rifle from a Model 1 Sales kit and a Bushy stripped lower assembled by novice endure the rigors of a training course?...probably not.....but it would give that novice the hands on know how of the rifle and most likely fit what his/her needs where at the time....IMHO of course...with my lower "tier" kiddies in braces and my middle "tier" kiddies wanting cars and Highest "tier" kid in college my pockets are not deep enough for Wilson this, Les Baer that, anymore......but no matter the "tier" level....I love 'em all...