Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 01-07-2012, 10:16 PM
Shots&giggles
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)

Hey, Sophia....It's Mrs Arkie Lefty with a brand new log in to go with my new to me gun.
Old 01-07-2012, 10:27 PM
Sophia

That Evil Admin Lady
TPC Rating: 
100% (23)
Welcome to RFC and the best little corner of the 'net! Be careful, or we will turn you into a rimfire rifle junkie.
Old 01-07-2012, 10:34 PM
TCups
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-08-2012, 08:56 AM
Arkie Lefty

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Found the old Bushnell "Scope Chief" that I used to have mounted on my 30-06 A-Bolt for years, built back when Bushnell was a subsidiary of Bausch&Lomb optics. Should make a great replacement for the current 4X on the rifle.

Any suggestions for a bullet to start handloads with?

Sophia, Ms. S&G does very little recreational shooting. When she pulls a trigger, something bleeds!

Bob

Last edited by Arkie Lefty; 01-08-2012 at 08:59 AM.
Old 01-08-2012, 09:20 AM
Sophia

That Evil Admin Lady
TPC Rating: 
100% (23)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arkie Lefty View Post
Sophia, Ms. S&G does very little recreational shooting. When she pulls a trigger, something bleeds!
I gathered that, but that's because she hasn't (yet) discovered the joy of rimfires.

TimberBeast (and others) recommended to me 120 grain bullets over Varget. I had stiff bolt lift with their recommended load so backed it off about a half-grain to get 2700 fps of MV with 38.6 grains of Varget and Winchester primer. I'm using Nosler ballistic tips. I have on hand but have not worked up loads for 130 and 140 grain bullets and also want to try H4350 to see if that makes any difference on the bolt lift.

I think the stiff bolt lift might be a rifle issue (head space) so you might start with their recommended load of 39.0 grains Varget and 120 grain bullets to see how that works for you.

Last edited by Sophia; 01-08-2012 at 09:23 AM.
Old 01-08-2012, 07:24 PM
Shots&giggles

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)

Here are a few pics of the 6.5 Swede we purchased yesterday with Bob's old Bushnell scope on it...plan to change to a different scope in the next week or so. Will anticipate better group with new scope. Shoots sweet without much recoil, and the bolt actin is smooooooth. The pics don't really do it justice, but I bet you can see why I was taken by this gun!
Old 01-08-2012, 08:22 PM
TCups
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Now that is one classy looking firearm! Congratulations.
Old 01-08-2012, 08:25 PM
Sophia

That Evil Admin Lady
TPC Rating: 
100% (23)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shots&giggles View Post
...I bet you can see why I was taken by this gun!
You got that right! That is a beautiful piece of timber, and the engraving is wonderful!
Old 01-08-2012, 08:49 PM
Alecbh

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs. Arkie Lefty View Post
model 96 been converted to cocks-when-opened(?)
Interesting; I thought the Mauser action, in general, cocked on opening. My 98 does. A quick google search shows that the Swede cocks on closing. Learn something new every day.

Quote:
Scroll work on a gun usually does nothing for me, but dang, that's pretty! And certainly not a bubba, that's a well-done sporter. Congrats on the new rifle.

EDIT: Am I the only one who sees a ghost image of jeweling on the extractor? Like maybe someone messed it up, and polished it out?

Last edited by Alecbh; 01-08-2012 at 09:43 PM. Reason: My words.. they was confused.
Old 01-08-2012, 09:24 PM
OKShooter

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
Now that is a fine looking rifle. I love both the engraving and the birds eye stock.
Old 01-08-2012, 09:24 PM
Arkie Lefty

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Alec, if it cocks-on-close it ain't a 98. All the older Mauser designs cocked on close. That was the main change to 98's. Springfield copied it with the '03. This is a Swedish Mauser that's been changed to cock-on-open. Not quite as strong as a 98, but it'll handle any modern load for 6.5X55 Swede.

That's not a ghost of machine turning. It's very well executed machine turning that didn't come out well in the photo.

Bob
Old 01-08-2012, 09:42 PM
Alecbh

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arkie Lefty View Post
Alec, if it cocks-on-close it ain't a 98. All the older Mauser designs cocked on close. That was the main change to 98's. Springfield copied it with the '03. This is a Swedish Mauser that's been changed to cock-on-open. Not quite as strong as a 98, but it'll handle any modern load for 6.5X55 Swede.

That's not a ghost of machine turning. It's very well executed machine turning that didn't come out well in the photo.

Bob
D'oh. I worded up my mixes. I meant cock-on-open, off to the magical edit button to fix that.

And, ah, that makes sense. It didn't make sense that such a nice rifle would have a flaw like that. Glad it's all bueno.

Last edited by Alecbh; 01-08-2012 at 09:45 PM.
Old 01-08-2012, 10:28 PM
riflesmithy

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:

Here are a few pics of the 6.5 Swede we purchased yesterday with Bob's old Bushnell scope on it...plan to change to a different scope in the next week or so. Will anticipate better group with new scope. Shoots sweet without much recoil, and the bolt actin is smooooooth. The pics don't really do it justice, but I bet you can see why I was taken by this gun!

A very nicely done Swede Congratulations on the find,...
The engraving is elegant and I really like the wumpas kitty on the floor-plate
That particular rifle just screams for Ziess glass

As for the reloading, start with a 120 gr. bullet, be warned that the slow burning powders will give a dazzling muzzle flash in the short barrel
I'm partial to H4350 in my two.
Old 01-08-2012, 11:04 PM
Arkie Lefty

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Smithy, since you're here, what bases would I need to get to move the scope rearward an inch or so? LOP fits her well enough, but the distance between rings doesn't allow the scope to move rearward enough for proper eye relief.

Thanks,

Bob
Old 01-08-2012, 11:16 PM
Shots&giggles

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Hey, Ya'll

I'm really flattered with all the compliments on my gun. Now to see if I can do it justice with a little fine tuning...right now I need MORE ammo, and a different scope.

Thanks again.

Last edited by Shots&giggles; 01-09-2012 at 01:31 AM.