Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 11-05-2011, 08:14 PM
this_is_nascar

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Smith & Wesson 617

I'm seriously considering a 4" 10-shot Smith and Wesson 617 .22LR revolver. Do any of you folks own this gun? As with other S&W guns, this model seems quite expensive, but the gun is absolutely a work a art from what I've seen. That, coupled with the fact that its cambered in .22LR means I love it.
Old 11-05-2011, 08:24 PM
civil1977
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I have both a 4" and a 6" 617-4 which is the prelock 10 shot version. The 4" really balances nice and the 10 shot cylinder is a lot of fun to shoot. The Ahrends grips and DS-10 speedloaders are great accessories. Its well worth the price and with a .22, you can shoot all day long.

Old 11-05-2011, 09:04 PM

TPC Rating: 
100% (67)
I have one as well and I can understand why it's priced as high as their centerfires, it's built just like them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-05-2011, 09:41 PM

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
I have an 8-3/8" model 617 and it needs a bipod and wheels.
That long barrel with a full lug is really front heavy.
Old 11-07-2011, 10:49 AM
this_is_nascar

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Wow, they are awesome looking for sure.
Old 11-09-2011, 03:55 PM
thezoltar

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Civil, which grips style do you prefer? I'm trying to decide between finger grooves or smooth for my 4" 617.
Old 11-09-2011, 06:19 PM
bangbang

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
try using the search function and see what that brings you.
Old 11-09-2011, 07:50 PM
Camster

TPC Rating: 
99% (54)
Quote:
Originally Posted by this_is_nascar View Post
I'm seriously considering a 4" 10-shot Smith and Wesson 617 .22LR revolver. Do any of you folks own this gun? As with other S&W guns, this model seems quite expensive, but the gun is absolutely a work a art from what I've seen. That, coupled with the fact that its cambered in .22LR means I love it.
So you buy one,enjoy it,take care of it,and if you should get tired of it one day,you maybe lose a hundred bucks or less,for something that has a good resale market? Let's even say that you lose two hundred?
How is that expensive in the grand scheme of things?
I own two,plus the several of the other flavors of K frame Smith .22s.
All favorites.
Old 11-09-2011, 09:14 PM
civil1977

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by thezoltar View Post
Civil, which grips style do you prefer? I'm trying to decide between finger grooves or smooth for my 4" 617.
I like the finger grooves on the shorter barrel.
Old 11-11-2011, 11:33 PM
Mark Meyer
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
In the past, there have been some really great .22 revolvers. But most of them are gone.
Among them are the Colt Diamondback .22, the Dan Wesson .22 w/interchangeable barrels in different lengths, and of course, the original S&W .22 revolvers.

Today, all those classics are no longer made, but the single best example today in a .22 revolver remains to be the S&W 617. As far as I'm concerned, it's a no brainer and is the only way to go for a very well made, full frame .22.
In this revolver especially, you are totally in the right direction going with a 4" barrel. With the full lug under the barrel, the 6" is (I think) quite unbalanced and not even necessary for accuracy. As you probably know, what a longer barrel gives you in better accuracy is mainly from the increased sight radius. If you want to shoot bullseye, just put a red-dot on and have at it.

I love my 4" 617 that I bought brand new just a few months ago. It's hard to explain, but even though I have one, I still keep thinking about getting another 4" 617 just to have another. Maybe I think that way because I keep having to give it up to my friends I shoot with at the range because it's one of their favorite pistols too, and I sometimes don't get to shoot it as much as I'd like because they don't want to give it back to me.
I've got some really nice pistols (Victor, Trophy, Model 41), but it's the 617 that the guys most often keep wanting to borrow.
Old 11-13-2011, 02:26 PM
this_is_nascar

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thanks. I really think I'm going to move forward and get this. I'm not sure if I want to get it before or after my 1st 9mm pistol.
Old 11-13-2011, 02:47 PM

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
Quote:
Thanks. I really think I'm going to move forward and get this. I'm not sure if I want to get it before or after my 1st 9mm pistol.
A 4" model 617 has great balance. Besides, I guarantee that you will shoot it more than a 9mm pistol. Unless the 9mm is your only self defense gun, I would get the 617 first.
Old 11-13-2011, 02:58 PM
this_is_nascar

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by M2HB View Post
A 4" model 617 has great balance. Besides, I guarantee that you will shoot it more than a 9mm pistol. Unless the 9mm is your only self defense gun, I would get the 617 first.
I'm anxious to get the 617 first, since it's probably the only handgun my wife would be comfortable handling. Assuming it fits her hand, etc, she like it due ot the minimal kick and the fact that there's no mag to load or any semi-auto type functions to worry about. Just place 10-rounds in the wheel and go to town.
Old 11-13-2011, 03:22 PM

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
Quote:
I'm anxious to get the 617 first, since it's probably the only handgun my wife would be comfortable handling. Assuming it fits her hand, etc, she like it due ot the minimal kick and the fact that there's no mag to load or any semi-auto type functions to worry about. Just place 10-rounds in the wheel and go to town.
My wife is small and she can shoot my K22s with no problem.
Old 11-17-2011, 10:43 AM
this_is_nascar

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by M2HB View Post
All my current handguns are .22LR. I have the Remington 870 Express Tactical for HD and/or when the SHTF. I was really close to purchasing the Ruger SR9, but I can't get this 617 out of my my head. Whatever I get next will have to hold me for 4-6 months, since I won't be purchasing anything else till then. Decisions, decisions.