Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 09-13-2010, 10:50 AM
2many22's

TPC Rating: 
100% (16)
Reloading presses ????

Just got started reloading. I started off with the Lee Anniversary Kit. No complaints on that. (given my working novice knowledge)
But I am already planning on getting another press to go with my single stage. I will be using the second for loading pistol ammo (and possibly .243 in the future).
What I need is help in knowing benefits/downfalls of turret versus progressive presses. What is the difference between the 2 and how is one better than the other. I am looking at Lee presses again. A new progressive starts about $150 for caliber specific. They seem to have good quality and have been around a long time.
Thanks ahead for all the input....
Old 09-13-2010, 11:16 AM
xarmcav
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I have been reloading for about 3 years, and recently started casting bullets. All of my reloading is done single stage on a LEE O-frame press. Almost all of my equipment is LEE, and I'm happy with it. I have no experience with a progressive press, but I have read and heard bad things about the LEE progressives, especially the cheaper one you refer to. Actually from what I've read all the progressives have one problem or another. I have read good things about LEE's turret press. You can go to youtube and see videos of various reloading presses, and you can read reviews everywhere. Two of the guys I work with use the Hornady lock-n-load only complaining about the primer feeder and cost of shell plates. Hope this is of some help. Good Luck.
Old 09-13-2010, 11:29 AM
xarmcav
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Sorry I missed part of your question. With a progressive you will get a completed cartridge with each pull of the lever. With a turret press you will still need to pull the lever for each operation on each cartridge. Good luck.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-13-2010, 03:42 PM
xhair1970
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I use the Lee "O" press as well and it works great. It may be more time consuming then a progressive but most of what I load is more for precision shooting or hunting and I hand prime every one of them. I also trickle charge every one as well to rule out human error.
If I want to load a bunch of plinker rounds for an AR15 or something, I head over to my Uncles house and use his Dillon.

eta: you need to look at the "O" press instead of anything that is caliber specific. All you do is drop in a different set of dies and load pretty much anything you want. I reload for 8 seperate calibers all with the same press.

Last edited by xhair1970; 09-13-2010 at 03:45 PM.
Old 09-13-2010, 04:07 PM
nwcid
Fire FighterEmergency Medical Technician

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Lee makes decent inexpensive stuff. If you are going for progressive I would look to RCBS or Dillon.

Even with a progressive you can "single" load quality ammo.

When I load rifle ammo I do it like this.

Tumble brass
Stage 1 Lube die/decap
Stage 2 size

Trim brass
Swage if needed
Tumble brass to get lube off

Stage 1 empty
State 2 prime
State 3 Powder
Stage 4 seat
Stage 5 crimp if needed

Doing it this way you hit all the steps that make quality ammo just speed up a bit. I still do have an use a single stage press for working up loads or doing other quick one off jobs.

My bench is mostly green,

Old 09-13-2010, 04:53 PM
dharper1969
US Navy Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Progressive presses are great for making quantity and hold their own on quality. Started with the same setup. Now I have a Hornady LnL and a RCBS Rockchucker. Pistol is strictly progressive. I use the Rockchucker for FL .223 mainly and the progressive to load all my practice and short line (200yd - 300yd) ammo for Service Rifle competitions. Rockchucker for all my 600yd stuff and for .308 and .260 800, 900, and 1000. Turrets make you turn things and you can use the time to look. Progressives move faster and you have to watch all stages, esp the powder measure. The TSRA Junior team was plagued with issues because someone didn't monitor the powder and there were a few ARs on the line that became crew served weapons. Ask around, or try a friend's... Either way will work.
Old 09-13-2010, 05:34 PM

TPC Rating: 
100% (150)
If you get a turret press, get either a Lyman or Redding. That is your best option for handgun ammo anyway. I would stick with a single stage for the .243. My favorites are Redding and RCBS RockChucker. No Lee presses in my house. OK to start out on, but not strong enough for precision work on my centerfire stuff, which must shoot sub 1/4".
Old 09-13-2010, 07:02 PM
fr3db3ar
US Air Force Veteran GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (8)
Gizzy, you need to come north and help me reload best I can get out of my Stevens so far is MOA

Actually one day it did shoot 1/2 MOA @ 400.....but I think I got lucky.
Old 09-13-2010, 08:41 PM
M2HB

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
I have been loading since around 1975. I started on a RCBS RockChucker. I have used only Dillon products since the mid 1980s. I like the 550 the best, but for production, the 1050 is hard to beat.
Old 09-13-2010, 09:06 PM
D. Manley
US Army Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gizzy View Post
If you get a turret press, get either a Lyman or Redding. That is your best option for handgun ammo anyway. I would stick with a single stage for the .243. My favorites are Redding and RCBS RockChucker. No Lee presses in my house. OK to start out on, but not strong enough for precision work on my centerfire stuff, which must shoot sub 1/4".
I'm not a big Lee fan but I would gently disagree, Giz...sort of. Certainly not to knock Lyman or Redding, IMHO Lee does make 2 decent presses...the LCT (Lee Classic Turret) and LCC (Lee Classic Cast) single stage. For pistol, the LCT is actually a very good turret press with nice features and a good value. The auto-indexing is nice and works well. Their LCC is a brute of a single-stage and also provides a nice value. Having said this, I admit I'm a Dillon guy for my handgun loading and for precision rifle I tilt toward the Forster Coaxial. Problem with Lee stuff is, it's all over-hyped and most is over-rated leaving the uninitiated in "no man's land" if he can't actually see the stuff work. I will give Lee credit for design ingenuity on some of his stuff but unfortunately, that don't make 'em good and leaves those of us that's been around the block leery of all of it. Even so, I'd still recommend either of those 2 presses to anyone looking for one or the other of those types.
Old 09-13-2010, 09:08 PM
Jerel

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Reloading presses ????

2many22's,

I have a Lee LoadMaster progressive press. I have loaded many, many thousands of rounds of 9 mm, 40 S&W, 41 Mag., .223 with great results. I think progressives work best reloading pistol bullets. I still have my single stage press.

Jerel
Old 09-13-2010, 09:17 PM
patience0830
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join! Appleseed Rifleman

TPC Rating: 
100% (54)
Hornady

Little brother just bought a Hornady turret and the thing is built like a tank. I have a close friend that shoots competition and he won the Daniel Boone trophy at Camp Perry last year with ammo loaded on his Hornady Lok-n-Load Turret. Sounds like it would be hard to go too far wrong with any of the big three. Hornady, RCBS or Dillon. The Dillon is pricey but I understand that the customer service is OUTstanding. I've never heard a bad word about Dillons customer svc and good stories abound.
Old 09-13-2010, 11:10 PM
bangbang

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2many22's View Post
What I need is help in knowing benefits/downfalls of turret versus progressive presses. What is the difference between the 2 and how is one better than the other.
read your reloading book. it will answer alot of questions.

the progress is more or less an automatic turret where the automatic has hoppers and such for the brass, powder, and primers.

the progressive is nice, but if you dont know what you are doing or are unattentive, you can make alot of bad ammo fast.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2many22's View Post
I am looking at Lee presses again. A new progressive starts about $150 for caliber specific. They seem to have good quality and have been around a long time.
Thanks ahead for all the input....
IMO, Lee stuff is good. others dont care for Lee. Its something you will have to experince for yourself.

I think the Lee turret press is great. i started out with one and still have it. I also have 3 Lee Pro 1000s. 1 new and 2 used. the 2 used ones i got really cheap since the original owners didnt know how to use them or didnt have the patience. they were like new. iac, i got them for both for less then my new one.

the Lee turret has a drawback is that its throat is not the longest/tallest and some of the bigger caliber may not fit. I was able to load 30-06 in mine but that is the largest i have loaded so far and it was a tight fit.

the Pro 1000 has the same short or shorter throat. the priming system is also a hassle. if you dont keep the primer try full IT WILL jamb. the case feed is unique. it works but for cases like 223, it will take less cases in the feeder to work better. i wish the ejected case ramp was longer, but its a minor issue.

If you are going to load some small cases like, 380 or 9mm in the Progressives, they can toss out powder during the indexing cycle. Dillons do it and Lees too. not sure about the others, but i would bet others do to.

if you get a progressive, you have to remember not to short stroke the handle. thats a drawback to them. also, you cant short stroke and reverse directions. another one is the $$$ needed to do cailber changes.

one hint. If you buy dies other then Lees, you will need to buy a stuck case remover or make yourself one. eventually you will get a case stuck and you will need to get it out the next day for some reason. also, a bullet puller of some type is needed since everyone makes a boo boo.
Old 09-13-2010, 11:52 PM
p5200

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
I just started reloading a while back all I needed was a single stage so I got a Forster Coax/Bonanza press. So far I really like it the floating die method it allows slip in and slip out die changing and being able to float, helps to keep everything aligned and the universal shell holder is nice also.
Old 09-13-2010, 11:58 PM
2many22's

TPC Rating: 
100% (16)
Ok. I am taking in all of your input and looking at various presses mentioned. Stopped in on the Redding site and have to say their "T-7" turret press caught my attention. Correct me if I'm wrong here but it looks to me that I can keep 2-3 sets of dies for different calibers all rite there on top..preset. Just a matter of rotating to which one I'm loading for at the time.
Redding is pricier than others but seem to be worth it from what I can tell. i am loading for 9mm, .38spl,.45acp, .243win (Rem Model 7) and .257Roberts (in a Rem 760 GameMaster). Naturally I will be loading quite a bit of pistol ammo on occasion and of course Going for accuracy moreso with my rifles.
I have pretty much passed on the progressive press idea. Too many saying potential problems. I wont be cranking out more than 200-300 rounds at a time.
Basically a turret press is a single stage with higher die capacity is all I can see is different between the 2. I WILL be loading from now on God willing..I do believe I'm hooked !
SO NOW I NEED ADVICE ON,.. IS A TURRET WORTH THE COST OVER A STANDARD SINGLE STAGE ? AND IS THIS REDDING ONE OF THE FEW REMAINING GREAT AMERICAN MADE ITEMS THAT WE CAN STILL BUY ? STARTING TO GET DAZED AND CONFUSED OVER THE WHOLE THING..NEED TO MAKE A "DEAL- MAKING" DECISION !!
THANKS FOR ALL YOUR HELP !!

Last edited by 2many22's; 09-14-2010 at 12:01 AM.