Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 09-06-2010, 02:39 PM
2many22's

TPC Rating: 
100% (16)
Choosing reloading manuals ??

New to handloading and am needing info on what manuals to get.
I am loading for 9mm, .38spl, .45acp, .243win.(Reminton Model 7) and .257 Roberts ( Remington 760 ). I'm using Alliant RL15 and Bullseye. In the .243 I am first trying out and hoping for the best with Barnes TSX. Just cant find but a couple laods for it ..only one with the RL15. Have NO idea on how to convert Powder formulas when looking at recipes using other powders.
Once I get my dies I will be trying out the 110gr? TSX in the Bob as well.
I have looked on the web but its either a buy only or what seems to be impossible "free" downloads.
Someone steer me in the rite direction here please...
Old 09-06-2010, 02:48 PM
JDWinCO

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
All the manufacturers have web sites for their stuff. Alliant has their downloadable data book and also specific info for each caliber as to what they believe are the best powders for weights in a cartridge.

Most powder and bullet makers have the same downloadables for free, just like getting their information at a gunshop. I do believe though that Sierra Hornady are the two hold outs on that, as they spent a lot of money to get their books published and on shelves in stores.

Last, go to a Sportsman's or similar and look for the Lyman's reloading handbook. Best information for a newbie of all of them, and has recipes for reloading also.
Old 09-06-2010, 02:50 PM
72coupe
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I started out with a Lyman Manual in 1969 and I would recommend anyone starting out use one.

Read the whole thing, its very interesting.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-06-2010, 03:39 PM
2many22's

TPC Rating: 
100% (16)
Thanks for the input...Just bought the Lyman 49th Edition off ebay.
Old 09-06-2010, 04:28 PM
Ron AKA

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
My Lyman book is very dated now, but I understand the new ones are good. As are Sierra, Lee, and I'm sure others. You can get reloading data for Hodgdon, IMR, and Winchester powder here:

http://data.hodgdon.com/main_menu.asp

This Sierra pdf should be of some help with your .243 loads. Hodgdon H4831 is a common powder for heavier bullets in the .243.

http://accurateshooter.net/Downloads/sierra243win.pdf

Norma powder here:

http://www.norma.cc/sortimentladd.asp?Kaliber=243 Winchester&Lang=2

Nosler is one I particularly like:

http://www.nosler.com/reloading-data.aspx

Alliant is here:

http://www.alliantpowder.com/reloaders/default.aspx

VihtaVuori is here. It has a quite useful powder burn rate comparison.

http://www.lapua.com/fileadmin/user_...deEdition8.pdf

I do substitute bullets of the same weight, but I never substitute one powder for another. I only use published loads for the particular powder.

Some I've missed may be here:

http://www.reloadammo.com/rel-powd.htm
Old 09-06-2010, 04:35 PM
Gizzy
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (149)
Lyman should be first on your list, with Sierra next. I have owned Hornady, Nosler, Hodgen and other manuals as well, and the Lyman is THE best with Sierra right behind, and I use both. The other manuals I bought just collect dust now.
Old 09-06-2010, 04:38 PM
bangbang

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
get as many as you can.

or if youre going to stick to a particular mfg of powder or bullets go with them.

but, imo, the more info you have the better off you are.
Old 09-06-2010, 04:42 PM

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
I like to use the charts from the powder manufacturer that I'm using at the time.
Old 09-06-2010, 05:15 PM
Gizzy

TPC Rating: 
100% (149)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bangbang View Post
get as many as you can.

or if youre going to stick to a particular mfg of powder or bullets go with them.

but, imo, the more info you have the better off you are.

This is why Lyman is the better manual in my opinion. They do not make powder or bullets. Powder manufacturers Data is Always listed on the safe side, and not really accurate data. This is another one of those lawyer things.
Old 09-06-2010, 08:50 PM

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
I also, have just started reloading for my .223 and 25-06 bolt, rifles and purchased the Lyman's 49th. Edition to start with.
Old 09-07-2010, 11:11 PM
farm boy
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Another vote for the Lyman manual. Next try the mfg of the bullet or powder you will be loading for. Remember they may all have different starting & max loads published, I try to never exceed the average high or low, but that is me.
Old 09-07-2010, 11:25 PM
pipestone
US Marines Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (21)
...better BASICS in the Lyman...Sierra a little more high tech.

..just how I feel..I got the two above..Hornady looks pretty interesting

God Bless America,
pipestone
Old 09-08-2010, 07:33 AM
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
I spent an hour last night, with four manuals opened on my bench. I am going to try to tweak a load for .38, and between the four manuals, I think I know what the ideal amount of powder should be.

So, . . . As others have already said, get as many as you can.

Since you are going to be using Barnes bullets in your rifles, get the Barnes manual. Be aware, it has NO data on pistol loads.

The next manual, perhaps the first, I would suggest, is Handloading, by Richard Lee. This manual covers everything, but if it errs, it errs on the side of caution. Max loads are light, compared to other manuals, in some calibers. Min loads, are a bit heavier.

The Lyman Manual is great, but be aware, it only lists the 'never exceed' loads. This could leave you wondering where to start.

Lastly, get a manual specific to the powder manufacturer you plan on using. I have a Hodgen manual, and use quite a bit of HP-38.

I hope I was helpful.

Oh, one more thing. If you like hotter loads, try to find older manuals. The older manuals had heavier loadings in them. Data tends to be more conservative these days, due to the litigious nature of todays society.

Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
Old 09-08-2010, 08:05 AM
JDWinCO

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Definitely use back up sources for your work info. A couple of years ago I was searching to create a home brew version of the Federal GMM 308 target load and spent a lot of time searching out what components they used and double checking powders and bullets with manufacturers data... ended up doing a WAG pulled out of my tail for a 100 yard group just at .75 moa., and it seems to work in any 308 just like the Fed does. Nice when a plan works.
Old 09-08-2010, 09:44 AM
Arrowhead

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I have several manuals but I find myself using the Lyman, Lee, and Hornady to the exclusion of the others. I compare the data in all three when trying something new.