If you could only have one centerfire? - Page 4 - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 08-04-2010, 07:38 PM
apachebrave
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
xhair1970 Towel

Quote:
Originally Posted by xhair1970 View Post
That brings a tear to my eye. It was one of the rifles that I sold that I realy wish I would have kept, it was my one and only .270 and the Featherweight was easy to carry long distances. I did keep the VXIII that was on it but I wish I still had that rifle...

The .270 is a another great cartridge that is under rated by a lot of shooters.
Yes, I still get out that little towel myself....once in a while....

I agree with your other posts.....We are glad we are Americans!
Old 08-04-2010, 07:45 PM
Gunsnjeeps
US Navy Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
"There ain't nuthin' a .308 can't do that a .30-06 can't do a little better."

That said, my Garand is a '68 Quantico build in .308 and I currently shoot a Rock River Arms AR for High Power. If I had to keep one rifle and get rid of the rest (not gonna happen) I'd keep the Savage in .30-06.
Old 08-04-2010, 08:53 PM
NY Marksman
US Army NRA Member - Click Here To Join! UotM

TPC Rating: 
100% (8)
If I have to choose one it would be this one.

It's 5.56/.223 calibers and it's 1 in 8 twist barrel gives me a variety of readily available ammo in a wide choice of bullet weights. In my way of thinking it gives me the best choice for both limited hunting and target shooting.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-04-2010, 09:21 PM
dwminer

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
Easy, 270 Winchester.
Old 08-04-2010, 09:50 PM
nahrens
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwminer View Post
Easy, 270 Winchester.
Same here i have never liked the .308 or the .30-06. They ruin too much meat and are too slow with hunting rounds. I have all three guns and refuse to shoot the .308 or .30-06. I will take my remington 700 with 110gr. handloads anyday of the week before i touch my .308
Old 08-04-2010, 10:21 PM
Koga

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
If were talking survival (Mad Max scenario) I will take my AUG over everything else I own......easy to get ammo too.
Old 08-05-2010, 12:53 AM
Passinby

TPC Rating: 
99% (69)
Send a message via Yahoo to Passinby
OOO, OOO. oh, I forgot. I don't have any centerfires... Way too expensive to shoot.
Old 08-05-2010, 09:10 AM
Sophia

That Evil Admin Lady
TPC Rating: 
100% (23)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cal74 View Post
Not to sound to sarcastic, but why are there always posts "If you only could have one"?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sophia
Two reasons I can think of off the top of my head:....
... and I browse these threads looking for ideas for my *next* centerfire. I have the top end covered (at least as much as I want to... no elephant safaris for this kid ). I have the bottom end covered (too well, some might say, with more than one small caliber centerfire). It's that middle ground... the 'tweener... that I'm still window shopping for.

So, keep those cards and letters coming!
Old 08-05-2010, 11:54 AM
xhair1970

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunsnjeeps View Post
"There ain't nuthin' a .308 can't do that a .30-06 can't do a little better."

That said, my Garand is a '68 Quantico build in .308 and I currently shoot a Rock River Arms AR for High Power. If I had to keep one rifle and get rid of the rest (not gonna happen) I'd keep the Savage in .30-06.

Man, I like the way you roll.

I like the .308 but prefer the 30-06 for it's ability to handle the heavier pills. I have noticed that until you get over the 168gr bullets that .308 is only 200fps (or so) slower then the 06. The gap in fps opens up quite a bit when the heavier bullets are loaded.
On a similar note, the .308 seems to edge out the 06 in the accuracy department, not always, but most of the time.
My AR10 is way more accurate then I am.
Old 08-05-2010, 12:00 PM
xhair1970

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sophia View Post
... and I browse these threads looking for ideas for my *next* centerfire. I have the top end covered (at least as much as I want to... no elephant safaris for this kid ). I have the bottom end covered (too well, some might say, with more than one small caliber centerfire). It's that middle ground... the 'tweener... that I'm still window shopping for.

So, keep those cards and letters coming!

There are some fantastic 'tweener' (I like that) cartridges that deserve a good look. The .243win is a great dual purpose round for varmint and deer sized game. Up from there the .257Roberts is a strong middleweight contender and the .270 and .308win are good one as well. There many others to look into, these are just the more common calibers.
All of these calibers have mild recoil when compared to the big boy's and are more then capable of hammering game with the proper bullets.
Old 08-05-2010, 12:23 PM
2fewdaysafield
National Guard

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Quote:
On a similar note, the .308 seems to edge out the 06 in the accuracy department, not always, but most of the time.
I'm no expert by any means, but it has always been my impression that as a pure target rifle the .308 holds a slight advantage over the 30-06, but that if hunting is part of the equation, then the 30-06 gets the nod. Though I would not suggest that either seriously outdistances the other in either arena.
Old 08-05-2010, 01:04 PM
xhair1970

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2fewdaysafield View Post
I'm no expert by any means, but it has always been my impression that as a pure target rifle the .308 holds a slight advantage over the 30-06, but that if hunting is part of the equation, then the 30-06 gets the nod. Though I would not suggest that either seriously outdistances the other in either arena.
The accuarcy is better with the .308 on most applications. This is sort of stumbling onto the 'short fat' cartridges of today. The .308 uses more modern powders then were available when the 06 was introduced and it is able to operate at much higher pressures then it's big brother. The ammo is also lighter and takes up less space and that was a concern for the military during their testing.
The main advatage with the 30-06 is the heavier bullets. You can get 220gr Noslers that can pretty much flatten any animal on the planet if it had to but with the .308 the heaviest I have ever seen used was 178gr Amax for 1,000 competitions.
I load both the 168 and 178grAmax for my AR10 for long range shoots. the 178's buck the wind a little better at 1,000 then the 168's but either will do just fine.
I also load the same bullets for my M1Garand and other 30-06 for competitions.
I load 110grVmax for a Savage 30-06 that prints them so tight on paper that you would think that they were in love. That same rifle will almost cloverleaf 178grAmax's.( Most .308's don't shoot the extremely light bullets very well, I would guess that would have to depend on twist rate and bullet speed. not realy what they designed for)
That pretty much makes the 30-06 the one 'do it all' rifle in my opinion, being able to use the light explosive bullets for groundhogs,yotes and such, the 150gr is flat enough for long range antelope, 150-165 is almost perfect for deer sized game and the bigger 180,200 and 220gr can handle just about anything else I would ever need it for.
Don't get me wrong, I am not knocking any other calibers at all, I just have my preferences.
I have had the arguement about the bigger 30cal magnums being better for the dangerous game like brown bears and such and in reality they don't shoot much flatter then the 30-06 but do supply more energy at the target.
Foot pounds of energy per square inch does not kill an animal, tissue damage in vital areas is what kills and more energy usualy equals more penetration but all of this comes with a very heavy price, recoil.
I am not a wuss but in the same breath I cannot shoot the big magnums good at all because they surpass my personal threshold of recoil and muzzle blast. I flinch so much I may as well be using a slingshot instead of a magnum. I will stick with a well placed bullet from my 06 and I will be good to go.

I hope none of this offended anyone, it is just my opinion and my understanding of how some of this works.(I have been wrong before and know I will be again)
Old 08-05-2010, 01:43 PM
2fewdaysafield
National Guard

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Quote:
The accuarcy is better with the .308 on most applications. This is sort of stumbling onto the 'short fat' cartridges of today. The .308 uses more modern powders then were available when the 06 was introduced and it is able to operate at much higher pressures then it's big brother. The ammo is also lighter and takes up less space and that was a concern for the military during their testing.
The main advatage with the 30-06 is the heavier bullets. You can get 220gr Noslers that can pretty much flatten any animal on the planet if it had to but with the .308 the heaviest I have ever seen used was 178gr Amax for 1,000 competitions.
I load both the 168 and 178grAmax for my AR10 for long range shoots. the 178's buck the wind a little better at 1,000 then the 168's but either will do just fine.
I also load the same bullets for my M1Garand and other 30-06 for competitions.
I load 110grVmax for a Savage 30-06 that prints them so tight on paper that you would think that they were in love. That same rifle will almost cloverleaf 178grAmax's.( Most .308's don't shoot the extremely light bullets very well, I would guess that would have to depend on twist rate and bullet speed. not realy what they designed for)
That pretty much makes the 30-06 the one 'do it all' rifle in my opinion, being able to use the light explosive bullets for groundhogs,yotes and such, the 150gr is flat enough for long range antelope, 150-165 is almost perfect for deer sized game and the bigger 180,200 and 220gr can handle just about anything else I would ever need it for.
Don't get me wrong, I am not knocking any other calibers at all, I just have my preferences.
I have had the arguement about the bigger 30cal magnums being better for the dangerous game like brown bears and such and in reality they don't shoot much flatter then the 30-06 but do supply more energy at the target.
Foot pounds of energy per square inch does not kill an animal, tissue damage in vital areas is what kills and more energy usualy equals more penetration but all of this comes with a very heavy price, recoil.
I am not a wuss but in the same breath I cannot shoot the big magnums good at all because they surpass my personal threshold of recoil and muzzle blast. I flinch so much I may as well be using a slingshot instead of a magnum. I will stick with a well placed bullet from my 06 and I will be good to go.

I hope none of this offended anyone, it is just my opinion and my understanding of how some of this works.(I have been wrong before and know I will be again)
Pretty much what I was trying to say in my own ham-fisted fashion. As for the big .30 magnums.....NOPE....this 6' 0" 180 pounder ain't going to touch them! Better a well placed 30-06 than a "flinched" magnum! But as you said, none of this is meant as a "knock" on the .308. It is a FINE cartridge in its own right and IMHO has some specialized applications where it equals or outshines the 30-06.

Last edited by 2fewdaysafield; 08-05-2010 at 01:46 PM.
Old 08-05-2010, 01:51 PM
Koga

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I dont think a Mule Buck could tell you if he were hit with a 180 gr BT if it came from a 06 or a 308.........or anything for that matter
Old 08-05-2010, 02:26 PM
One "O" Bob
Fire FighterEmergency Medical Technician NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

Gannett, Id. Pretty much the center of the universe
TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
308! Will hold me 'till I can move to a different location that permits owning more than one.