Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 05-21-2003, 04:15 PM
wareagle
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
83% (3)
Tighten barrel to receiver fit

I recently acquired a GM 16.5 Fl SS barrel . The barrel and receiver fit is very sloppy . Receiver is .690 and barrel measures .685 . Just wondering if anyone else has had this problem and what was done to remedy it . I have tried .002 shim stock but too flimsy . It crumples up like wrapping paper .
Thanks for your time .
Old 05-21-2003, 08:02 PM
JL

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I Loc-Tite my barrels into the reciever, makes for a much sturdier joint. Just heat in the oven in case you ever need to remove it. JL
Old 05-22-2003, 12:54 PM
wareagle

TPC Rating: 
83% (3)
I thought about ir but....

I think .005 is abit much for loctite . Anyone else had this problem ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-22-2003, 08:23 PM
gunsmither
RFC Sponsor
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

RFC Sponsor
TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Knurl the Barrel Shank & "Flat Block"

If you have a metal lathe, or access to a lathe, you can very lightly "Knurl" the barrel shank to increase it's diameter slightly. A hand knurling tool would work great without a lathe, I think.

It might even be nicer to turn down the original shank diameter about .010", then knurl it back up to a semi drive in fit, and use Loc Tite, or epoxy to secure it. If you accidently (or on purpose !) "Over Size Knurl", you can very carefully file it down a bit for a nice tight fit.

I've experimented with eliminating the "V" block. I've made a steel flat block with the same hole, and width dimensions as the "V" block, though extending a bit higher into the barrel cut out), and used a cut off 6/32 tpi screw thread wedged into the "V"cut on the barrel, with my flat block wedging the screw against the barrel angle cut. This eliminate's the pulling down of the barrel that occur's with the "V" block, and pushes the barrel much straighter back into the receiver, without flexing it.

I haven't done any formal target grouping with this "Flat Block" setup, but just offhand plinking, and I'd swear the average accuracy of this stock barreled gun has improved because of this; I'm not flexing the barrel downward. Might scope this baby up and try it with the "V" and with my "Flat Block" to see if it's for real, or just my imagination. Safe Shootin ! Joe

UNIQUE gunsmithing tools and accessories for 10/22's, MkII's, S&W
Old 05-27-2003, 06:08 PM
wareagle

TPC Rating: 
83% (3)
Thanks for the info Gunsmither

But I think that's a little beyond my capabilites. Anyone else had this trouble ?
Old 05-27-2003, 11:22 PM
gunsmither
RFC Sponsor
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

RFC Sponsor
TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Stipple the barrel shank ?

Sorry wareagle, didn't mean to get so carried away with myself. You could try raising a bunch of small dimples with a center punch all the way around the shank. This would be similar to "Stippling", I believe it's called, and would tighten up the fit the same as knurling, but without a lathe. Wouldn't look as purty, but would do the trick to take out the play. Use Loctite, or epoxy after "Stippling", for a snug fit, and don't tighten the "V'' block very much until glue sets up. Hope this helps. Safe Shootin ! Joe

UNIQUE gunsmithing tools and accessories for 10/22's, MkII's, S&W
Old 05-28-2003, 12:34 AM
smike
US Army Disabled American Veteran Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Contact Green Mountain

Why not contact Green Mountain to see what info they have to offer?
Mike
Old 05-28-2003, 04:42 AM
wareagle

TPC Rating: 
83% (3)
Thanks for the info

Thanks Gunsmither . That sounds like a great idea .
As for GM, I contacted them and the barrel seems to be the correct size . Seems my receiver is a little out of wack .
I've made up mind that it isn't going to whoop me . I'm going to make it work one way or another .
Old 05-28-2003, 07:48 AM
chundoo
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Loctite makes all kinds of adhesives, not just 'red' and 'blue'. You might check out their products and see if they make one that would help fill the gap a little better. Make SURE you read the removal data unless you don't mind turning it into a one piece unit.
http://www.loctite.com/indexna.html
Old 05-28-2003, 10:29 AM
spam4einstein

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
you could epoxy it in,

but it ant never comin out
Old 05-28-2003, 12:11 PM
BigMike

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Post LocTite Retaining Compounds

wareagle,

Years ago, when I was involved with maintenance, we used some of these LocTite compounds on worn shafts, gears, and sprockets:

LocTite Retaining Compounds - PDF

Good Luck....! !
Old 05-28-2003, 02:20 PM
lh9020

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Loctite 680

is what we use at work for gluing in bearings. The holes are generally .010 oversize and we can position the bearings wherever they need to be with the 680 filling up the gap. Hope that helps. Larry
Old 05-29-2003, 04:44 AM
wareagle

TPC Rating: 
83% (3)
Thanks for all the replies

I had thought of using loctite and epoxy . We use it all the time where I work also . What method would work best to insure the barrel is as straight as possible (not canting up or down) . I had also thought of coating the barrel shank with a release agent and making a epoxy shim of some sort .
Anyway , thanks for your time .
Old 05-29-2003, 05:08 AM
BigMike

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Lightbulb Best Fix

wareagle,

IMHO, the "best fix" for your 'loose fit' barrel would be to have a machine shop put a 'light knurl' on the barrel shank of ~ .006". Then use one of the LocTite preparations listed on the Link that I provided, and press the barrel shank into the receiver. The knurl will hold the alignment until the LocTite sets-up. Should you ever want to remove the barrel, a heat gun will break-down the LocTite, and then the barrel maybe pulled.

Hope this helps...! !
Old 05-29-2003, 02:59 PM
wareagle

TPC Rating: 
83% (3)
Thanks Bigmike , sounds like a winner .