QUESTION Concerning New S&W 617 'cleanliness' - Page 5 - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 10-19-2011, 09:52 PM
Garys4598
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary C View Post
Gary,
This thread was linked from The Watering Hole in the Rimfire Community forum.

So, tell me, a year and a half after you got finished, or two years, or whatever it's been, how does this pistol still shoot?

I want a 6" DA revolver in .22LR, and there are only a couple of choices, with the 617 being at or near to the top of the list. I'm not particularly enamored with the Taurus pistols because of my experience with a Taurus semi-auto, but there is a huge difference between semi-auto and revolver. There's also a huge difference in price between the 617 and the Taurus Tracker.

Your experience would be appreciated.

Gary
Hello Gary. . . (and I didn't know this thread was linked to any other forums; I'm flattered!)

My S&W Model 617 revolver has continued to shoot magnificently during the course of these last several years, since I made the modifications. I have not had a single issue whatsoever (such as light firing pin strikes, etc.) and I've no interest to change a thing on my revolver. But in all fairness, I haven't taken her out shooting all that much; I've likely only fired about 800 or 1,000 rounds through her. . . mostly due to my having acquired other rimfire pistols and a USFA 12-round revolver since I purchased my Model 617. Also, cleaning the cylinder's 10 chambers can be a pain in the arse (specifically if you are as anal as I am about having your firearms thoroughly cleaned), but once I took someone's recommendation to attach a brass bristle bore brush onto a standard electric drill. . . cleaning all those chambers became a lot quicker and easier. Regardless, I still cherish her just as much as my other small caliber firearms.

I remember a few years back when I was striving to make a decision on which rimfire revolver to buy, like you I looked at all the manufacturers' offerings, to include the Taurus products. After all that online research, I decided on the Smith & Wesson product (in spite of a few negative S&W revolver reviews that I happened across) and I have genuinely been ecstatic with the stout 10-round revolver! I harbor absolutely no regrets or second thoughts regarding my decision!

Yep, the S&W Model 617 costs more than the others, but in my opinion and experiences it is well worth the extra hundred-plus dollars.

If you have a few specific questions to ask me, please don't hesitate and I'll do my best to answer succinctly.

~Gary

Last edited by Garys4598; 10-19-2011 at 09:57 PM.
Old 10-20-2011, 12:32 AM
Gary C
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
Gary,
Your comment about the 'extra hundred-plus dollars' put a smile on my face.

The Smith & Wesson 617 6".

The Taurus 990 Tracker.

More like $250+

Still, that S&W might be worth the difference.

Gary
Old 10-20-2011, 04:35 AM
photoracer
US Navy Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Gary,

The Smith & Wesson 617 6".

The Taurus 990 Tracker.

More like $250+

Gary
Now there is a new version of the Taurus 990 with both 22LR and 22WMR cylinders as a kit for close to the same price as the 617 alone.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-20-2011, 12:29 PM
Garys4598

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Gary,

More like $250+

Gary
Yea. . . I'm aware the price difference is in the hundreds.
While writing my response, I just thought "hundred-plus" read better.
Old 10-20-2011, 12:38 PM
NWDave

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Another wet side Washingtonian wading in here (lottsa rain today in Bellingham). Sure glad this was brought back to the top. I'm within a week of getting my -617. It'll be a companion piece to my -41 and I hope to use both in speed steel challenges (only a novice though) next spring. This thread is going to help, immensely. Now to dig out that battery operated dremel I've got stashed away somewhere........

If I might digress to the DS-10-SPEED's, I see you've got several handles. Is it necessary to have so many handles when using the blocks and several speed loaders or is it a case of ease of use having them all set up: handles, speed loaders and bullets in one package, so to speak? (BTW: that's the way I like to do things).

In preparation for the arrival of my "baby", I guess I need to get some of your recommended polishing compound and a few dremel polishing attachments.

Thanks for all the work you've done and especially for passing along this labor of love to the rest of us.
Old 10-20-2011, 04:01 PM
Garys4598

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by NWDave View Post
. . . If I might digress to the DS-10-SPEED's, I see you've got several handles. Is it necessary to have so many handles when using the blocks and several speed loaders or is it a case of ease of use having them all set up: handles, speed loaders and bullets in one package, so to speak? (BTW: that's the way I like to do things).

In preparation for the arrival of my "baby", I guess I need to get some of your recommended polishing compound and a few dremel polishing attachments. . .
Hey Dave,

I was a bit naive when I purchased my lot of DS-10-SPEED items. Sometime after I took the photographs of my Model 617 and posted the pics here, Dave Skrzela came out with his 80 and 100 round loading blocks. So I purchased a 100-round loading block and now have no need for the smaller 40-round loading blocks that I first bought. Kinda similarly, I purchased four of the actual speedloaders. . . and have discerned that I really only need two (e.g., one of the two being my back-up in the event my primary speedloader somehow breaks, which is extremely unlikely).

I'd say it all depends on how you intend to employ and enjoy your S&W Model 617. As for me, I only shoot my revolver out at my local outdoor rifle & pistol range and therefore for my purposes, all I ever need is one speedloader, one handle to attach to the speedloader, and one 100-round speedloading block.

Last edited by Garys4598; 10-20-2011 at 04:06 PM.
Old 10-20-2011, 08:42 PM
NWDave

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
That works for me because I have to get the DS-K6 Classic speed loader for my -17 Classic. I'm thinking that the 100 round block should be adequate for the -617 with a couple or three speed loaders (I want to get good enough with the -617 to shoot Speed Steel, it's good to have goals) and a 48 block and a couple of speed loaders for the -17. I'm hoping the handles will work with both types of speed loaders.
Old 10-20-2011, 09:42 PM
horseboss45
US Navy Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Smile

When I picked up my 617, I ordered 3 Speed Loaders, 3 handles and a 120 round loading block. Best investment I could have made. It's the perfect set up for the way I shoot.