Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 01-18-2009, 08:54 PM
.22 (+)
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
cold weather

This past week has been very cold. Teens and 20's.
A week ago I joined an indoor range, but inside on the firing line it is still very cold. Point is it's been real cold around here.....
So maybe this is causing all these extra FTE's? This past week I've been using a new brand of oil. Rem Oil (with teflon) Don't think that would make a difference?
Old 01-19-2009, 09:53 AM
varmit hunter67
US Army Veteran Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Dry syn Lube

I started using EEZOX about 3-4 months ago on the slide, internals, etc. On my Buck mark, I have done what a lot of others have done, and that is bend a copper brush over to 90 degrees - about an inch long. Then I put a little eezox on it and scrub the chamber when I am through shooting. I always test a round to see if will drop in and out by gravity with no hangup. EEZOX seems to have also reduced the FTEs I was getting with the Fed bulk 550s. The Auto Match runs flawlessly. VH67
Old 01-21-2009, 02:31 AM
mikewalker

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by .22 (+) View Post
Chim

I use that toothbrush on feed ramp and surrounding area. Not quite the chamber
I see that I need to get brass brushes including one I'll bend and make my chamber brush.
I'll keep one in my range bag too. At present, I use oil and Q-tips to keep things going after many rounds.....
Aren't you concerned about the fibers of the Qtip clogging things up?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-21-2009, 02:43 AM
mikewalker

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Went to the Range today. Took my Buckmark with all the same ammo (minus the Golden Duds)
Gun was cleaned and well lubed. Same as before. This time I cleaned chamber with a bent brass brush.
Here is what happened: Again, cold conditions and I wonder if that is really a factor? Shooting Fed 750, I actually went 62 rounds before a FTE. So I pulled the oil and Q-tip out of the range bag and gave it a cleaning. Now I get lots of FTE's. Often two in a row. At this point, I switch to Mini Mags. But I get a FTE after 40 rounds.
What did I learn? That I'm very dissapointed and discouraged.
I'd bet the fibers from the Qtips are gumming up your extractor
Old 01-21-2009, 03:00 AM
mikewalker

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Very strange findings. From past reports, I said my Buckmark shoots best with CCI Mini Mags. I concluded that they are a "hotter round" and work better with that stiff spring. I assumed that standard velocity would function poorly.
Ammo with lots of FTE's: Fed 510 (HV), American Eagle (HV), Fed 750 (HV)
Ammo with few FTE's: CCI Mini Mags, Federal 714 (SV)
Ammo with no FTE's: Rem Target (SV), and Golden Bullets HV)

I only shot 25 rounds of Rem Target. Had 4 FTF's, buy empties ejected.
The GB's (50) had no FTE's just some FTF's. Go figure, I had better results with standard velocity.

So much for the spring theory? With all the ammo I have, not many Mini Mags. And 714 has not been available for a very long time (yes, I hear you...buy 711b's)
New questions
1) is it normal for a Buckmark to be limited to more expensive ammo?
2) is 1 in 50 FTE acceptable?
3) are cold conditions a contributing factor?
I must of got an "anointed" BM if it fires, it cycles, in mine. I can even shoot and cycle CB longs, 4-5 at a time. Out of about 2k rounds I have had maybe
5-7 FTE after fire, and that was the really really cheap ammo, I had only one box of CCI give a few FTF like I said if it fires it cycles and ejects. This little gun continues to impress me, I did a spring flip trigger job and can hit a soda can *every* time at 30 paces, had to get my glasses worked out first before I could hit like that. I can shoot and be more accurate with this BM than any 9mm including Sig, HK and Walther. My dream would be a BuckMark in .357 sig with same recoil ha dream on.
Old 01-21-2009, 06:09 AM
.22 (+)

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Fibers? I had problems before using Q-tips. After cleaning gun at home with brush I still have problems next range visit.
I'm trying to figure out whats "normal" for this gun. Is it a warm weather gun? Is is very ammo picky. Is this acceptable to me? Should I send it back to Browning?
I wish I had a nice warm day to confirm that most of problem is the cold temps. Than, I just need to run out and buy more expensive ammo. It really bothers me that I can't take that hex screw off. I can't help but think a better cleaning might help?
Old 01-22-2009, 09:06 AM
varmit hunter67
US Army Veteran Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Hex Screw?

I missed something along the way. Which screw is it you are unable to remove? I had used some blue lock-tite on the top rear sight screws and couldn't get one to break loose. I have since learned that heat will release lock-tite. But, after breaking by twisting in half 2 different Allen wrenches, I bought some good quality Hex heads at Home Depot to use in my Fire Storm hammer drill. Put the BM in a padded vice, got all lined up nice and straight and hit the trigger on the drill. Came loose in a heart beat. I don 't use lock-tite any more. But, there is also another version of blue lock-tite that is more suited for small screws. I haven't bothered to look for it. There is a thread on here somewhere; you could search for it.

And, I would give Browning a call. I have called them once or twice and a technician always seemed pleased (and real helpful) to speak to me. Good Luck! I just don't believe temperature would be that big a factor.
VH67
Old 01-22-2009, 10:19 AM
rondo

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
For what it's worth, Purple loctite (222) is recommended for fasteners from #2 through 1/4", blue (242) is for fasteners from 1/4" through 3/4". Never use red on your guns, it is designed for permanent locking of threaded fasteners up to 1".

Purple loctite 222 is the correct product for gun stuff. Blue works, but it is overkill and can be hard to bust loose on smaller bolts and screws.
Old 01-22-2009, 10:46 AM
leathermanwave

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
The allen screw on my camper would never come off either even though I tried heating a allen wrench among other things. Then I came up with a brilliant idea: shooting heats it up, since I have three magazines I had my brother shoot as fast as he could while I reloaded, after 60 rounds of rapid fire I tried the screw and it came loose.

My buckmark wasn't as bad but I still got plenty of FTE, oiling the slide works wonders. After that I still got a few FTEs and FTF so instead of cutting one coil off of the recoil spring like some here have done I just left the slide locked back for a day or two and it sufficiently loosened the spring. Now my buckmark is almost perfect with about 90% of falures being duds.
Old 01-22-2009, 06:47 PM
.22 (+)

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
See thread "Finally, Barrel Off"
On the limited ammo my Buckmark will shoot, I sill get FTE's. Is 2 per 50 acceptable? I don't really think so.

Last edited by .22 (+); 01-22-2009 at 07:09 PM.
Old 01-22-2009, 08:11 PM
bullmack

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Send it back to Browning. They took good care of me when my new camper would not seat mags fully!