Toz-78-12 (Winchester Wildcat22): Photos & First Impressions - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 01-05-2009, 06:33 PM
Tozman

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Toz-78-12 (Winchester Wildcat22): Photos & First Impressions

I bought it from BassPro recently at the boxing week sale price of CAN$199 + taxes. Have not shot it yet. So far I can say the following:

Aesthetics/looks: BassPro was advertizing it as "walnut" stock. It is not walnut (birch or beech probably), but the walnut stain on mine is very pleasing to my eyes. The blueing is not bad at all. The overall finish is fine. The checkering is more than acceptable for a CAN$200 gun. It is a nice package that transpires "good quality and value". I like it more than the previous "el-cheaperino" version of the Toz-78 I owned a few years ago ( I bought that one for only CAN$100 new in the box!!!).

Dimensions: The Toz series of rimfire guns have compact dimensions. The stock is a bit short for my size (I have that same complaint for most firearms). I will get used to it just like I got used to my current Toz-99 and the previously owned Toz-78. I am thinking of adding a recoil pad on this one to increase the LOP. I will make a final decision after shooting a couple of hundred rounds.

Action: No surprises there, just like most Toz bolt action rimfires, it is a bit stiff now, but I am sure it will smoothen after about a hundred rounds. The backward curved bolt is different than other Toz-78 models. Don't know why they did that: aesthetics or change for the sake of change.

Sights: At first, the rear sight disappointed me. I was thinking the one on my old Toz-78 was superior. But it started to grow on me once I realized that it is collapsible and hence, it does not have to be removed if I mount a scope. Speaking of scopes, I tried 2 of my scoped on it: a variable BUSHNELL and Russian ZENITH scope. I think I am going to stick with the BUSHNELL as the ZENITH scope is in reality an airgun scope.

Trigger: I have read on this forum that some of the members here miss the variable triger on the other versions of the Toz-78. Well, I have not shot my gun yet. I dry-fired it a couple of times and don't find this trigger too heavy.

I will talk about its accuracy once I shoot it. But being a (rebadged) Toz-78, we all know that they are very accurate for the price.

To sum it up: I prefered to buy this gun over the Savages, Merlins and others that shared the same gun rack at the shop. It looked better, felt better and was priced very competitively. I look forward to enjoy this little critter for a long time.

Last edited by Tozman; 01-05-2009 at 06:36 PM.
Old 01-05-2009, 07:56 PM
aom22
US Air Force Disabled American Veteran Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
TOZ-78-12 Model Number Verification

Tozman,

Great pictures and thank you so much for the TOZ-78-12 model number verification.
Apparently, TOZ-78-12 (Winchester) and TOZ-78-17 (North American market) are affirmed model designations.

Oh, by-the-way, good-looking rifle ... walnut stained beech (or birch) and all.
Right now, I'm trying to imagine your rifle as a beeched blonde.

Last edited by aom22; 04-01-2009 at 01:59 PM. Reason: Add Link & Text
Old 01-05-2009, 08:53 PM
caseyboy

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Question

Hey Tozman,

Thanks for the report and the photos. Indeed a nice looking rifle. I have a Toz 17-01 that I am impressed with as far as accuracy goes. With the right ammo, it shoots groups easily covered by a quarter at 60 meters. The question I have for you, is the Wildcat trigger two stage and is it adjustable at all?

caseyboy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-06-2009, 10:18 AM
aom22
US Air Force Disabled American Veteran Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Winchester Wildcat Trigger ... Non-Adjustable

Quote:
Originally Posted by caseyboy View Post
...The question I have for you, is the Wildcat trigger two stage and is it adjustable at all?caseyboy
The Winchester Wildcat does not have an adjustable trigger.

Winchester Wildcat W/Fully Adj Trigger! - DIY Trigger Swap
Old 01-10-2009, 12:58 AM
Tozman

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I took it to the (outdoors) range yesterday. What a cold day it was. Fingers freezing while loading....

Just fired a few shots to see if it works. Well, it works fine. Was a bit stiff and needed some effort to operate the bolt, but it got a bit smoother after a few rounds.

I did not check for accuracy. It was too cold and my stay at the range was very limited.
Old 02-07-2009, 11:49 AM
Petergun

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Cool wildcat

hi Tozman hand I have bought from few a Wildcat but have not I had occasion to try it, have you tried her to 100 yadses, as it shoot, are the hits gathered as the CZ 452? would not like to repent me some done purchase, in fact my friends wanted to convince me to pick a CZ but me up I have been ok with the Russian, in fact first I had a Baikal 35 but I have had to sell him to with sorrow .
Old 02-07-2009, 12:22 PM
Tozman

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petergun View Post
hi Tozman hand I have bought from few a Wildcat but have not I had occasion to try it, have you tried her to 100 yadses, as it shoot, are the hits gathered as the CZ 452? would not like to repent me some done purchase, in fact my friends wanted to convince me to pick a CZ but me up I have been ok with the Russian, in fact first I had a Baikal 35 but I have had to sell him to with sorrow .
Sorry, I did not have the chance to shoot it to 100 yards yet.
Old 02-07-2009, 12:37 PM
Petergun

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
wildcat

we hope that you shoot well, some I are disappointed for the dimensions, the carbine of the gnomes seems me
Old 03-02-2009, 12:57 PM
bowbuilder

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Tozman

Have you had a chance to shoot the Wildcat yet? I'm looking forward to a comparison between the TOZ 78-01 and the Winchester version.
Old 03-09-2009, 09:27 PM
kart racer
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I have shot my wildcat and cz fs at 100 yards many times.The cz is a little more accurate,but for the money the wildcat isn't bad at all.I'm going to play with the trigger and see what happens.

Every time I went I used the same ammo,so I may not be fair to the winchester.
Old 03-28-2009, 11:14 PM
isuzu

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I'm also taking a look at the Wildcats. Not bad for a CDN$200.00 rifle. I'm waiting for the BassPro in Calgary to open next week.

Last edited by isuzu; 03-29-2009 at 12:10 AM.
Old 07-18-2009, 01:34 AM
rigormootis
US Marines Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Will Wildcat mags (if I can find any) work for my TOZ-78? Are they the same?
Old 07-18-2009, 08:34 AM
aom22

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Winchester Wildcat and TOZ 78 Magazine Interchangability

Quote:
Originally Posted by rigormootis View Post
Will Wildcat mags (if I can find any) work for my TOZ-78?
Are they the same?
They are not exactly the same.
However, with a little effort magazines could be made interchangeable.
But, some slight modifications of the magazine slot might be required.
In some cases alteration may not be a necessity.

However, you are more easily and likely to encounter TOZ 78 magazines for sale than Wildcat mags.
The following threads may shed some light on your question:
TOZ 78/Winchester Wildcat mag differences
Winchester Wildcat magazines - Winchester Customer Svc & Wildcat Stock Finish & Fit
Quote:

The mag on the left,
with the more square bullet cutout,
is the wildcat mag....
Old 07-19-2009, 11:40 AM
rigormootis
US Marines Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Outstanding! Thank you!
Old 07-20-2009, 03:19 PM
Looter

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
not necessarily

I'm in the process of selling the Wildcat mags that I picked up at a gun show because they don't feed rounds very well in my TOZ-78 01. They might feed round-nose, but HPs are a no-go. The original TOZ mags function fine.

It seems to me that the Wildcat must have a different, more pronounced feed ramp than the original Russian TOZ-78.

As always, YMMV.

Edit: You can't really modify a Wildcat mag to function better in a TOZ, at least not easily.

Last edited by Looter; 07-20-2009 at 05:09 PM.