Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 11-15-2008, 08:56 AM
trav_99
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)

I am glad you know how to read past the bs in most of these threads. A .243 is a decent round but I had a 6mm before I looked at the .243 and decided not to downgrade. I am pretty lucky though, I get my 6mm ammo cheaper than what most pay for .243. I still like the bigger bullets(.30 cals) for punching paper also becomes it is obvious that the heavier bullets will provide more consistent groups in any weather as opposed to the lighter ones. Lighter ones will be played with more by wind. It is not near as bad as the rimfires so you are well aware of this. Somebody brought up .30-06 accelerators, they still make them, they are on midway site 55 gr. But You wil not be disappointed in the performance of the .243, it has been around for ever and is a proven caliber. The .30-06 was a great decision also, very versatile round. Can take any game in the USA. As with the .308, which is a little better than .30-06. I am not good enough to tell the difference. But, if you are only going to shoot paper, and will not be taking deer. Iwould also suggest the .22-250 or .223. Both are great rounds but the .223 is real cheap. And as for budget. I would suggest going to a pawn shop, especially if there is a college town close. College students get hard up for cash and get rid of really nice stuff. .243/.308/.30-06 calibers are about the easiest to find in those places. Good luck on what you choose. I would also suggest get a barrel and action in the finish you like. stocks are an easy and fairly cheap thing to replace. So if you find a gun that you like but don't care for the color or style stock, but love the finih of the metal, stocks are easily upgradeable/replaceable.

Last edited by trav_99; 11-15-2008 at 09:05 AM.
Old 11-15-2008, 09:21 AM
wlfdg
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Send a message via Yahoo to wlfdg
Quote:
Originally Posted by peppilepew View Post
A 220 swift at 600 yards went through a steel helmet (not the dick head helmet type) while taking parts of the skull of the donkeys head it was sitting on with it. A well placed 22 rimfire will kill a full sized white tail. 22-250 at about 4000 fps muzzle velocity packs some punch. Guys at my club have taken white tail with rimfire. Don't under estimate the power behind a small caliber at high velocities. Close range is needed for rimfire. 22 rimfire kills more people than any other cartridge. Try adding something positive and contribute.
WOW! Right on.
Try reading my first post on this thread
Semper Fi!
Old 11-15-2008, 10:15 PM
peppilepew

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wlfdg View Post
Have you shot an elk with a .22-250 ?
Quote:
Originally Posted by wlfdg View Post
WOW! Right on.
Try reading my first post on this thread
Semper Fi!
Okay Semper FI. You have contributed. I have researched both the 22-250 and the 220 swift. What they lack in mass, they more than make up for in velocity. Easy on your shoulder and pocket book to shoot. I don't own either and probably never will. I have shot the 22-250 and was very impressed with the accuracy and lack of recoil. I own common calibers like 30-06, .308 , 5.56, 12 gauge and rimfire. They are common easy to find ammo for firearms. I am the same with pistols. I shoot .45, .44, .40, 38/357, .380 and rimfire well enough to hold my own. It seems that whenever opinions factor into a question tempers and conflicts have a tendency to get heated. Why can't we all just get along? No I haven't shot an elk and I don't plan on it anytime soon. I wouldn't hesitate to take a large deer from my bedroom window with my model 29 .44 mag S&W. Sorry for calling you a dick head.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-15-2008, 10:51 PM
wlfdg

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by peppilepew View Post
Okay Semper FI.
Sorry for calling you a dick head.
Old 11-16-2008, 10:20 AM
white house
US Army Disabled American Veteran Law Enforcement Officer

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
A fairy tale end!
Sometimes we get hot under the collar but we find out we are more alike than not.
When the .17 Remington came out in 1972 or so there was a game warden guy who bought one. He used it to destroy animals injured beyond hope. He had quite a few stories to relate. One of them was with a cattle truck that was involved in an auto mishap breaking the legs of many beef animals on the way to the slaughter house. He used the .17 Remington to execute (euthanize) 7 or so without ado. Through the head.
If that bullet at around 4000 fps can cleanly execute a beef going through the skull I have no question a .220 Swift or .22-250 can do an Elk. I also knew a Major in the Army in Germany (he was our S-3) who routinely filled his deer tag (in CONUS, Kentucky or Alabama or Tennessee) on leave by shooting off his porch at a buck on his property using a .22-250.
I've used the 6mm and the .243 exclusively for hunting deer with no problem.
The bigger stuff is good too (like .308 and 30-06) but overkill I think for animals our weight and under.
Old 11-16-2008, 08:30 PM
elkhound
US Marines Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I once watched through the spotting scope as my friend whacked a big gobbler with his 22-250. The bird was standing about 10 feet from our 250yd target. He hit it right on wing joint (shoulder?). The screaming fast little bullet blew up on impact and a very crippled gobbler escaped up over the hill. Dragging a wing. It was pretty sickening. He never did find it.
Old 11-16-2008, 08:36 PM
white house

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I read an article in 1972 Outdoor Life where the hunter (and writer) shot a buck with antlers (4 point Western count) face to face with a .308 loaded with 150 grain PSPs into the forehead (no other shot was possible) and the buck went down but came back up and he shot again to keep it down.
The first shot ricocheted off the buck's forehead!
Old 11-17-2008, 05:12 PM
OWENMUSTANG

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I've heard the .243 is a barrel burner..

I know several people that hunt whitetails with them... (they all get weird looks like your shooting deer with a .22 pellet gun or something when the subject of "what ya shoot'n" comes up.)

One of the fellows used to use a 6.5x55 converted mauser before the .243
He is a big fan of the swede round. (said if he could have got his Winchester in 6.5x55, he would have bought it instead)

I have a 30/06, that is a lot of gun for punching paper!

Right now, I think either the .260 or the 6.5x55 are great all purpose rounds
If I can find the right rifle, I would be happy with either one.
Old 11-17-2008, 09:10 PM
small
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Hey I have a Rem 700 mountain in '06 that I've had for years. I would shoot it from a lying position and a make shift rest on a family members farm, box after box of ammo (mostly local reloads), I'd get done shrug and pack things up. I shot 30 rounds at the range the last time out from a seated position and by the end I was crying like a girl. I could not believe the difference, I was told that I need to "Hold" different for recoil when seated. (I also need a better recoil pad).

That said I am still having a Mauser built w/a 30-06 barrel. (I'll sell the Rem or pass it on). I also plan to start reloading.

Here is a suggestion I may have missed in the thread and even though it goes against what I do here it is. Buy a 30-06 on a Mauser action used on GB or another site, or a Rem 700 or Savage 110, basically a used "long time standard/favorite". You could use it for a while and if it wasn't what you wanted you could always place it back up for sale with out loosing much. If it turns out that, that is the cartridge that you want to use you could then look for your ideal rifle, selling the starter to off set the cost.

Good luck and let us know what you decide.
Old 11-17-2008, 11:44 PM
alaskanbush10/22

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
243 is a very good deer gun. It does not burn barrels. I took my first moose with one and it has also taken caribou. 308 is even better. Lots of them around. Here is another caliber 25/06 good for up to elk and black bear.
The 30/06 is everywhere also. Good for everything on north america.
My dad used his 06 to take many moose. Try and shoot all the calibers you are looking for. Cannot go wrong with any of them.
Old 11-18-2008, 09:16 AM
white house

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Using Nosler Partitions in the .243 or .25-06 will take care of any deer mule or whitetail. Using HPs will take care of any varmint of any size.
The .30 caliber is bigger with more recoil--less precise on varmints and more bullet drop.
I still say .243.
Old 11-18-2008, 09:49 AM
Brithunter

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by alaskanbush10/22 View Post
243 is a very good deer gun. It does not burn barrels. I took my first moose with one and it has also taken caribou. 308 is even better. Lots of them around. Here is another caliber 25/06 good for up to elk and black bear.
The 30/06 is everywhere also. Good for everything on north america.
My dad used his 06 to take many moose. Try and shoot all the calibers you are looking for. Cannot go wrong with any of them.
Hmmm now that is an interesting comment:-

Quote:
It does not burn barrels
Funny you should say that as all centre fire cartridge burn barrels it's just how quickly it happens. A friend has Lija 3 groove 243 barrel chambered in 243AI for 600 yards shooting. The 3 groove barrel was to resist the throat burning better.
Old 11-18-2008, 12:47 PM
Ron AKA

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by alaskanbush10/22 View Post
243 is a very good deer gun. It does not burn barrels.
It is a matter of relativity. Here is a formula for estimating barrel life.

http://yarchive.net/gun/barrel/barrel_life.html

Using it I got the following:

.264WM - 900 rounds
.25-06 - 1350
.204 Ruger - 1500
.270 Win - 1800
.243 Win - 2500
.223 Rem - 3600

This is with a fairly light load of 33 grains of powder for the .243 of 33 grains. If you step it up to 40 grains then life goes to about 1700 rounds. These are all just rough estimates of course.

Ron
Old 11-18-2008, 01:24 PM
gmd1950
US Air Force Veteran Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (29)
That all sounds as impressive as all get out but what are Bart's qualifications for determining his data? Is he a metallurgist or a ballistician or some hack with an idea, I'm not saying one way or the other, just wondering out loud. I've heard from barrel makers more in the line of 5,000 rounds for the average non-magnum caliber loaded sensibly.

Gerald
Old 11-18-2008, 01:29 PM
wlfdg

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I agree. I know of a very reputable pro shooter/gunsmith who has around 2000-3000 rds. through (the same barrel) a large magnum.