Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 11-12-2008, 06:19 PM
jedwil
US Army NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josjor View Post
Well, after spending some more time behind the computer screen I think I've decided to go with the .243. Looks like a good versatile round with a little less punishment on the range time.

thanks gang for all your input!
You won't be disappointed.
Old 11-12-2008, 08:10 PM
trav_99
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
If you thought about going .30-06. I wouldn't look twice at the .243. I would stick with the .30-06, .308, maybe go up to 300 win mag because if you hunt muleys you are going to go to elk or something eventually. The lowest I would go would be the 25-06.
Old 11-12-2008, 08:19 PM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Does anybody remember the 30-06 accelerator cartrigdes. I think it was a 22 caliber bullet in a plastic sleeve in a 30-06 brass. I had a 30-06 years ago and sold it. Ouch, hurt too much to shoot.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-12-2008, 08:30 PM
ShootNut
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlong View Post
Does anybody remember the 30-06 accelerator cartrigdes. I think it was a 22 caliber bullet in a plastic sleeve in a 30-06 brass. I had a 30-06 years ago and sold it. Ouch, hurt too much to shoot.
It was a 55gr bullet, and that little thing was smoke'in going down range! I have a couple .30-06's, they can be loaded down with the smaller bullets for varmint hunting, and the newer managed recoil loads from Remington are great, my son loves shooting them, its about the same recoil as a .243 with them loads.
Old 11-12-2008, 09:02 PM
jedwil
US Army NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlong View Post
They are still available....I have to edit this to add that the '06 acc. is still made but may be unavailable like most other ammo......

Last edited by jedwil; 11-12-2008 at 09:44 PM. Reason: add
Old 11-12-2008, 09:42 PM
wlfdg
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Send a message via Yahoo to wlfdg
Quote:
Originally Posted by trav_99 View Post
If you thought about going .30-06. I wouldn't look twice at the .243. I would stick with the .30-06, .308, maybe go up to 300 win mag because if you hunt muleys you are going to go to elk or something eventually.
That was what I was thinking!

In western Neb. you are a few hours from great elk hunting. I don't think a .243 will give the reach(400+yds.) that you may need for a mature mule deer buck.Antelope can be even further.

.243 would be great for tight cover whitetails or calling coyotes in.
Old 11-12-2008, 10:11 PM
Adeptus_Minor

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I killed my first whitetail deer with a .243 (believe it was a Winchester semi-auto carbine?)
It's a nice, flat shooting cartridge.

Personally, though... I'd go with either 30-06 or .270
More knockdown and the ammo is dirt common with lots of selection in bullet types.
Old 11-12-2008, 11:18 PM
Josjor

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Well, here's the deal fellers............

I actually have little or no interest in actually hunting deer at all, though it is possible that this might change. I'm a shade past 40 winters at this point and never had an inkling to as of yet.

There are a FEW elk in these parts, but not enough to even think about as of yet, though the herds are increasing. Real elk are still a minimum of a couple hundred miles away.

Maybe the mulies are smarter in your neck of the woods. Just this Monday I was hunting bunnies and came over the rise to be greeted by four mulies grazing. The looked at me from about 125 yards away. I stood stone still and within a minute they went back to their grazing. I watched them for about five minutes, cursing myself the whole time because it was one of the few times that I left the truck without my camera. I slowly backed down the hill and they never moved again.

My main quarry is paper, dove, and bunnies. If I can get a rifle that will allow me to shoot some long range paper/gongs yet still be a practical choice for deer if I ever decide to try them, that is what I want. It sounds like with my bony shoulders and lack of real desire to become an avid deer hunter that the .243 may be the right thing. Am I wrong?
Old 11-13-2008, 12:30 AM
Gunsnjeeps
US Navy Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Personal preferance isn't wrong. I have the Savage in .30-06. If you know anybody that has a rifle like you want take a trip to the range with them. When I bought my Savage it was used, I'd guess less than 100 rounds no marks on the stock. I looked at it and said the only thing wrong with it is that it's not a .308. The price was right so I bought it. I've shot out to 500 yards with it in competition, and the recoil can be hard after the first 12 to 14 rounds. I don't hunt (haven't had the time or opportunity to learn) but know that unless I go to Africa I won't need more gun than this.
Old 11-13-2008, 12:57 AM
Ron AKA

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josjor View Post
Well, here's the deal fellers............

I actually have little or no interest in actually hunting deer at all, though it is possible that this might change. I'm a shade past 40 winters at this point and never had an inkling to as of yet.

There are a FEW elk in these parts, but not enough to even think about as of yet, though the herds are increasing. Real elk are still a minimum of a couple hundred miles away.

Maybe the mulies are smarter in your neck of the woods. Just this Monday I was hunting bunnies and came over the rise to be greeted by four mulies grazing. The looked at me from about 125 yards away. I stood stone still and within a minute they went back to their grazing. I watched them for about five minutes, cursing myself the whole time because it was one of the few times that I left the truck without my camera. I slowly backed down the hill and they never moved again.

My main quarry is paper, dove, and bunnies. If I can get a rifle that will allow me to shoot some long range paper/gongs yet still be a practical choice for deer if I ever decide to try them, that is what I want. It sounds like with my bony shoulders and lack of real desire to become an avid deer hunter that the .243 may be the right thing. Am I wrong?
From what I hear the .243 Win is the most powerful cartridge you want. It will easily handle what you expect to shoot and also the deer which are less likely.

Ron
Old 11-13-2008, 07:55 AM
bass_singer
Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Analyse your needs, make your decision. Sounds like you've made a good one.

I'd go with the '06 but making sure I had a really good recoil pad like is on the Remington 700 BDLs. But I also live in bear country. For me the '06 is a better choice. It sounds like the .243 is best for you and what you plan to do.

-Stuart Townend, 'How Deep the Father's Love For Us,' c1995, ThankYou Music

I like Dwight, Jordan, Gene, David, et al...
Old 11-13-2008, 11:27 AM
natman

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
If you want to shoot holes in paper with the possiblilty of a deer at close range a 243 is the way to go. A 243 won't cover mule deer at long range very well.

If you want one rifle that will do everything a 30-06 is hard to beat.

A good 22, a good 30-06 and a 12 gauge will cover about 90% of all hunting.
Old 11-13-2008, 12:32 PM
white house
US Army Disabled American Veteran Law Enforcement Officer

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Look at it this way Josjor,
You are most likely a cerifiable gun nut like the rest of us on this forum. You are getting into the calibers above the rimfire into centerfire rifle. You could make the jump to the 30-06 and have a blast with it but in the end you will end up getting a .243 or 25-06 anyway.
For me my first centerfire from .22 Magnum was the 6mm Remington in a 700 ADL. That rifle I shot and reloaded for. I shot it out! That was how fun it was to have. It accounted for my longest coyote kill--260 yards using 75 gr Sierra HPs over 48 grains of IMR 4350. That one bullet entered the chest cavity and blew up lungs and heart (and everything else inside the brisket) and exited three places out the other side (the bullet exploded into three major parts).
I was absolutely astounded at the power and velocity that 6mm had at LONG RANGE!
I used that rifle for mule deer hunting as well in the Slide Mountain area Southwest of Reno. I never felt underpowered using the 100 grain SPs in that rifle.
Later on I bought a .300 Winchester Magnum (after a .2506 and .22-250 and .270 Weatherby).
In the end you'll end up getting more than one.....
Old 11-13-2008, 03:47 PM
Josjor

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Your probably right, White House. Really my interests lie mainly in target shooting, however. So, here is the complete list that I don't have complete:
.22lr <100yrds
.243 100-300yrds
45-70 ol' fashioned buffalo gun for up to 2000 yards. %%%%, I want one of those!
Old 11-13-2008, 04:36 PM
glenn brown
US Navy Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
You can load the 308 with bullets from 110 grain up to 220 gr. You'll have less versatility in larger bullets with the 243, but more options in lighter bullets for varmints. Either is fine for deer, although you have to pick the right bullet for the 243. It got a bad rep for deer years ago because the bullets were not penetrating sufficiently. Stick with a Barnes triple shock or the like and you'd be fine for mulies, antelope, etc. Too small for elk or anything larger than a muley IMO.