road rage ordeal tonight.... - Page 5 - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 06-11-2008, 03:21 PM
doubs43
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)

Fortunately I live in a state - Georgia - with pretty decent gun laws. I've had a concealed weapons permit for the past 10 years. During that time Georgia has passed some laws that strengthen the rights of citizens to protect themselves.

For several years now a citizen in Georgia doesn't have to retreat in the face of danger. The "Stand Your Ground" law says if someone threatens you with deadly force you do not have to run away or retreat. The anti-gun crowd typically forecast dire consequences and people being gunned down on the streets in droves. Hasn't happened.

The just-passed House Bill 89 takes effect on 1 July and allows those with carry permits to go armed in restaurants and also in State Parks. The anti-gunners again have forecast doom and gloom but I don't see it happening as those of us who have permits are generally more responsible than the average person.

In general I only carry when I know I'm going to an area that is known to be dangerous or if I go out at night. If I found myself threatened I'd try to defuse the situation by leaving IF I could do it in reasonable safely.

As for driving, I drive "aggressively defensive". By that I mean I try to flow with traffic and not block anyone's progress. I move over to allow others to get bye as soon as safely possible. I also DRIVE full time and know what is going on 360 degrees at all times. No day dreaming, lollygagging or cell phones. I don't tailgate. With 49 years of driving under my belt and exactly ONE questionable moving violation - a yellow light - and one minor fender-bender that was unavoidable and the other man's fault, I must be doing something right.
Old 06-11-2008, 03:37 PM
ckzoom

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MGT View Post
OK here is more of my made up story.... This is just for fun, nothing more.
Actually, there is more to the bizarre, but true, account. The president of the company was a leftist, probably an admirer of Diane Feinstein's gun philosophy. Although the iron-armed assailant did not work for the company, and the confrontation took place in a public parking area that served many businesses, the company fired my friend on the grounds that he "pulled a gun on a fellow employee in the workplace." After the lawsuits were settled, the company president was deposed and my friend had his job back, with back pay and a nice settlement.
Old 06-11-2008, 04:06 PM
MGT

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckzoom View Post
Actually, there is more to the bizarre, but true, account. The president of the company was a leftist, probably an admirer of Diane Feinstein's gun philosophy. Although the iron-armed assailant did not work for the company, and the confrontation took place in a public parking area that served many businesses, the company fired my friend on the grounds that he "pulled a gun on a fellow employee in the workplace." After the lawsuits were settled, the company president was deposed and my friend had his job back, with back pay and a nice settlement.
What a strange Country we live in Never a dull moment. Next thing you know, old iron arm is a born again Christian, and is working at a teen rehab. What was the name of the Company and what did it do?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-11-2008, 04:28 PM
gmd1950
US Air Force Veteran Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (29)
MGT, you're having way too much fun with this thread dude, your tongues going to be permanently in-grown in your cheek.

Gerald
Old 06-11-2008, 04:58 PM
MGT

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by doubs43 View Post
For several years now a citizen in Georgia doesn't have to retreat in the face of danger. The "Stand Your Ground" law says if someone threatens you with deadly force you do not have to run away or retreat. The anti-gun crowd typically forecast dire consequences and people being gunned down on the streets in droves. Hasn't happened.

This link talks more about the "Stand Your Ground" law. The following states have the law: Alabama, Alaska, Arizona, Florida, Georgia, Indiana, Kansas, Kentucky, Michigan, Mississippi, Missouri, North Dakota, Ohio, Oklahoma, South Carolina, South Dakota, Tennessee, and Texas. There may be more. The link post has further links to most states laws regarding "Stand Your Ground Law". After reading Indiana's law it is clear that the DA still has the power to determine if force was "reasonable", but DA can't ever say it was unreasonable because the person using deadly (or other) force had an option to retreat.

So, if I read the Indiana law correctly, I could kill a person that was trying to hurt me inside my car, and that I wouldn't have to just drive away.

I could not use deadly force if I was inside my car and he was smashing my headlights with same steel pipe. I suppose I could make a case that if he was smashing my car, it was reasonable that I would be next, and deadly force had to be used.

If a person was trying to steal an item from me, I could not kill him, but I could use non-deadly "reasonable" force to prevent theft, and would not be liable.

I suggest that any person having one of these "stand your ground" laws carefully read it.
Old 06-11-2008, 05:12 PM
MGT

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmd1950 View Post
MGT, you're having way too much fun with this thread dude, your tongues going to be permanently in-grown in your cheek.

Gerald
I am enjoying this thread, and I'm a bit ashamed, as the subject is very tragic. We humans are put into a situation to make a critical life or death decision in a few seconds that can lead to multiple outcomes, regrets, unhappiness, and tragedies.
Old 06-11-2008, 08:33 PM
varmintgetter
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Send a message via AIM to varmintgetter Send a message via Yahoo to varmintgetter
"you wanna play..you gotta pay" addage is universal in this situation. Owning a gun also requires you to "pay"the time or knowledge of what consequences or pitfalls are there before just going to XYZ and buy because it's a Right.

Owning a Car..Owning a House...Owning what not, you are ASSUMED to know the LAW.

There is no free lunch as every action always draws a consequence...it's how grave the consequence that dictates what actions you are willing to risk.
Old 06-11-2008, 08:59 PM
pariah78

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmd1950 View Post
This thread is a great example of why you should not get legal advice from internet forums.

Gerald
Oh come now. I think my advice was pretty solid. Of course he is in a whole different country and all. Seeking police assistance or going to a public place with witnesses and the potential for more calls to the police is pretty basic stuff, or were you just painting with a really broad brush in regards to the replies?
Old 06-11-2008, 10:35 PM
dbmjr1
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
You made a mistake

I showed him I had a firearm and he was out of there quick smart. I loaded the revolver and waited in the car for my wife
Never brandish a weapon unless you are prepared to use it. If it was unloaded, you should never have escalated to firearms. What if he had produced a firearm in retaliation? You would have thrown your handgun at him? Would your wife be a widow?
Old 06-12-2008, 08:34 PM
varmintgetter

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Send a message via AIM to varmintgetter Send a message via Yahoo to varmintgetter
after reading this tread....in hind sight is always better than foresight. We should not bash him for what he did but just learn from the incident should this happens. Apologize to you sir (greenZx9r) for any ill bashing to you. As long as you are "ok" that's all it matters. We like our shootin' community and we support you too..even though your are half way round the world from us.
Old 06-12-2008, 08:58 PM
greenzx9r

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Send a message via MSN to greenzx9r Send a message via Skype™ to greenzx9r
No offence taken, the reason I posted the situation is because I value the opinions of other shooters and I do want to hear what I did and didnt do right. I have no other experience using my guns as self defence but have taken note of every single reply. Thank you.

The other situations posted on this thread are very interesting too, makes a good read dont you think? Hehe.
Old 06-12-2008, 09:53 PM
PaiN

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
greenzx, I can't speak for the all of the incidents decribed in this thread but as for yours.... IMO, you let your ego cloud your better judgement. Not the part in KFC with the gun(it was already too late) but well before, when you "slowed and stopped" after the "jerk" started messing with you. What the other driver did is irrelevant, especially with wife and kids in the car. The "slowing to get his attention" then "stopping on the side of the road"... you may kid yourself all you want but I'll tell you flat out, this was utterly dumb..You put your family and self in danger and you did so because your "big guy ego, wasen't going to be Fxxxed with". I am sorry but an armed citizen needs to be COMPLETELY ego checked before they go out in the world no matter what happens.
I tell you this, then I'm off my soap box, If you shot that man, reguardless of how he confornted you at KFC, no matter how much of an ******* he was or how much he deserved it....You'd go down, lawyers would eat you alive, you'd go to jail and your kids would have a criminal for a dad.
Old 06-12-2008, 10:31 PM
SQUAWSACH

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
I have a temper and I find it difficult to back away from someone acting like an %%%. I have worked hard to for the past few years to control my temper and it has made me a happier person. When I let someone's behavior dictate what action I take, it always made me part of the problem. It is easy for me to sit at my computer and judge your posted actions. I would have to say that you made yourself part of the problem and your wife should be a little upset.
Old 06-12-2008, 10:32 PM
coyote_243
US Navy Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
In my book, the weapon is not presented unless I am in fear for my or my familes life and limb, and when it does come out, its going to be used. A weapon is not a ace up your sleeve, and to be flashed around. Only take it out when you need it.

Personally, In that situation I put the speed on, and I dont slow down. And definatly no stopping.

At least this time you and your family get to go home safe and sound, thats the real goal.
Old 06-13-2008, 09:49 AM
greenzx9r

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Send a message via MSN to greenzx9r Send a message via Skype™ to greenzx9r
If it happens again, I think I will just go straight to the police station and let them deal with it. Thanks again for the great advice guys and gals.