BMC project: Carbon Furniture and Folding Stock: Pics as it evolves - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 11-23-2007, 06:12 PM
"MinuteOfMouse"

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
BMC project: Carbon Furniture and Folding Stock: Pics as it evolves

Hey guys, some time ago you may remember me talking about making carbon handguards and a folding stock for the Buckmark Carbine. Time's been short, my rifle was stolen (along with all my other guns) and I had to get my surface resin back from someone I lent it to. Today was my day to make the first mold.

I did it with the thought in mind that I would make the part and the mold as simple as possible so that any of you that wanted to try a similar project someday would be able to replicate my results. I've made a few molds before and know the ropes, so if some of my methods seem crude to people who do mold work or composite layups, bear with me-there's a reason I'm not doing it the way a professional would this time.

We start with a plug:

and a mold surface that will have a nice, sharp parting line. Anything will do as long as it's flat. I used steel because I work as a die maker and had 20 minutes to kill at the end of my shift Tuesday to saw, mill and grind a few pieces of flat stock.

You need something to locate the mold halves, I used a pair of screws and sealed them with modelling clay to make sure the mold came apart. You can't have negative draft angles on a mold like this or you'll never get it apart!

Now you need to float the plug at the mold separation centerline and build a box to hold the glue.

Fill the box (I used balsa wood that I put clear tape over to keep it from sticking to the glue) with your resin. Bondo will work great if you only need to make parts for a week or three.

weight the box down to keep the resin from seeping out

When it's cured, pop off the plates and box, then re-mold release the mold surface and sides. You can't see it in this photo, but I have clear tape standing up about 1". This will be the "box" for the other side.

Here I have clamps holding balsa to the side of the tape to keep the glue from bowing the tape away under it's own weight. This glue sets pretty quickly, so it only needed it for an hour or so.

Here's the mold,..... Will it separate? Or, Have I made a tomb for my part.....?

Nope, came apart fine. It had a few air bubbles that will have to be filled and some minor prep work, but this bad boy is pretty close to making carbon handguards!

Hopefully, I'll be able to get back to this on Sunday. A good friend's brother had a stroke and his hospital is about an hour from my property upstate so I suddenly have a need to go up north, and will take him to see his brother.
Old 11-23-2007, 06:27 PM
guns&motorcycles

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
This looks really interesting! I have thought about making carbon parts myself ... I am looking forward to more details.

One question - what is your "plug" made of, and how did you make it?
Old 11-23-2007, 06:33 PM
guns&motorcycles

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Also, do you have any details on what resin you used and where you can get it?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-25-2007, 01:14 AM
"MinuteOfMouse"

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
The plug is an engineering foam that I milled, then potted the stock barrel into with epoxy and microballoons. Resin is from Resin Services, think the number is HT302X. It's a metal filled epoxy for use as a surface resin, not idea for what I am doing here but it works. I almost used Bondo instead.
Old 02-09-2009, 08:38 PM
jandbj
Law Enforcement Officer

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Thanks for the updates. Glad to see this one finally take shape!