Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 02-23-2007, 11:16 AM
.22 rifle boy

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Question marlin model 60 and ricochet question

i'm getting a Marlin model 60 22. rifle later on today (it should've been here yesterday but i had complications) anyway, i was wondering if this is a good accurate gun and i was wondering since i have''Remington Thunderbolts'' bullets will these (the bullets) bring down small game quick and cleanely?

also, i have a 100 by 100 foot back yard (which is the requirment for shooting a rifle where i live) BUT i'm worried that if i shoot (prefferably at the hill just below the back part of my house) that there's a chance the bullet will ricochet, and hit one of the neighbors house, which would be about 90 feet directly behind the little hill/ground where i plan on shooting.

so my question is: is there a chance if i shoot a bullet at my hill which faces away from the neightbors houses IE: the neighbors houses are directly BEHIND the hill, is there a chance it could ricochet backward and hit one of there houses? and would u consider the ground a safe place to shoot a bullet? thanks!!!

note: i'm sorry if i made this post confusing, it's just that i'm worried one of my bullets MIGHT hit one of the neighbor's houses (even though my yard fits the legnth/width requirments for shooting a rifle in my back yard.) and if you can please answer both of my questions, the one about the bulllets/marlin 60 and the back yard one, once again thanks!!!
Old 02-23-2007, 11:19 AM
77XLH
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
If you think it might, you ought not to try.
Old 02-23-2007, 12:15 PM
Twisted_Halo

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Bullits will ricochet of any rock they hit and sometimes just off hard dirt.It does not sound like you have enough room to shoot there.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-23-2007, 12:23 PM
.22 rifle boy

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
hhmmmmm.....will a bullet ricochet off a tree? b/c i have a few of those n my yard, and does anyone know what i can shoot at/use to make a target that has minimal to zero chances of causing a ricochet? thanks
Old 02-23-2007, 12:39 PM
Roadrat
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
92% (7)
Get a bullet trap....here is a sample of one. Do a search at amazon.com..........they run about $50.

Last edited by Roadrat; 02-23-2007 at 01:03 PM.
Old 02-23-2007, 12:41 PM
22AGS

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
If you've ever been out shooting in the boondocks and after letting one loose you heard a high-pitched whine immediately afterwards, THAT was a ricochet. They can happen almost anywhere in any conditions, and the direction of the bouncing bullet is generally unpredictable, like a billiard ball off a cushion on a crowded table. If you have any doubts, you should scout out a more secluded spot to bust a cap, you don't need the worries, and besides, it will detract from your enjoyment and possibly become a source of anxiety--or worse. I say don't do it with that 22. Instead, do like me in my back yard, get out there with your trusty 39 year old Benjamin .22 pellet rifle instead! and save the firestick for the boonies.

Last edited by 22AGS; 02-23-2007 at 12:44 PM.
Old 02-23-2007, 12:44 PM
.22 rifle boy

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
that looks pretty cool, how much do they cost?
Old 02-23-2007, 12:49 PM
SAM22673

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Instead of trying to prevent a ricocet you might try to control the dirrection of it. Preferably down.
Old 02-23-2007, 12:57 PM
.22 rifle boy

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
yeah, that's how i planned on shooting: i'd set my target on the bottom part of the hill, then shoot diagonally/downward at it. so could this still cause a ricochet? if i shoot at a target diagonally/downward into the ground?
Old 02-23-2007, 02:01 PM
ken w.

TPC Rating: 
100% (50)
Send a message via Yahoo to ken w.
I have had many bullets ricochet off the top of pine trees trying to shoot red squirrels.It doesn't matter where you are you have to be really careful about ricochets.When my gun club had dirt brought in for our shooting pile,rocky dirt was delivered and we have a ricochet problem.We had to have someone come in with a top soil shredder/sifter to remove them.
Old 02-23-2007, 04:12 PM
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

Hollow log along the Susquehanna River, Dauphin County Pa.
TPC Rating: 
88% (7)
Build a backstop with fwd facing wings out of railroad ties, stacked 4 high, fill in frt of side to side with sand. then keep your target low enough so the sand is behind your target. the sand will assorbe all the impact .You'll have to shovel it back now and then to keep the pile up, cheap easy set up .one time cost for the ties and sand it cheap ,even if you must add some later. My Bro has one in his yard I've shot 44 mags into --JMJ--
Old 02-23-2007, 08:42 PM
Range Finder
US Air Force Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
22 rifle boy:

A .22 rimfire is the most ricochet prone rifle going. Especially with solids such as the Thunderbolts. They can and will ricochet off just about anything to include water if the angle is right and you'd be surprised how far that glancing bullet can travel. I know because I took one in the right thigh when I was a kid and it did some damage. Remember, when in doubt DON'T FIRE! It's not worth the risk.

The shooter who recommended the bullet trap had a good idea and the shooter who suggested to go out in the boonies with your rimfire had even a better idea. Don't be lulled into a sense of false security because of the small size of the .22 caliber cartridge. It can and will kill very swiftly if it hits a person or livestock in the right place and will cause injury - a very good chance of serious injury - wherever it hits you. Just remember that the consequence of a misplaced bullet cannot be undone even if it is an accident.

Good and safe shooting to you.

Range Finder
Old 02-24-2007, 08:40 AM
.22 rifle boy

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
thanks everybody, i DID fire 5 shots into my yard, and thankfully none of them ricocheted. but i'm not gonna fire another shot until i'm A: at a rifle range, or B: if i'm in the woods. (just to be safe.) also i'm planning on going to a rifle range today.....but i have a major problem.

my marlin model 60 .22 rifle has a tubular magazine, and the part u twist to open it up (the tubular magazine) is stuck!!! does anyone know how i can hopefully get this unstuck? b/c if i can't i can't load my gun or fire it, b/c there won't b any bullets in it!!

any info is appreciated! note: besides my little malfunction with the tubular magazine (i did buy it at a pawn shop for $85) i love my new rifle
Old 02-24-2007, 09:28 AM
ShortlineHogger
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Send a message via Yahoo to ShortlineHogger
Stuck? Well, assuming you are pushing down slightly on the rod to get the little tabs out of the slot so you can turn the rod to remove it, and assuming there are no obvious dents that would cause it to stick, I guess it would probably be rusted shut?? Might try some WD-40 around the top, letting it soak down the rod and maybe break free whatever is holding it in there. Hell, it's a pretty simple setup, so if it's not dented, or rusted, I don't know what else it could be!
Old 02-24-2007, 09:41 AM
.22 rifle boy

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
yeah, there's a little dent in it, so that might b it. but what's weird is i haven't had any problems with it so far until i woke up today and couldn't turn it!! (it's literaly stuck!!! i can't even budge it a milimeter!! i just hope i can get it fixed today before the shooting range closes ) and i hope if i can't get it fixed my pawn shop has some kinda warranty on it!!