Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 08-22-2009, 05:32 PM
dogknott

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
77/22lr Converted to 17HMR

Other than the barrel and magazines, will i need a differnt stock?

What would I have to do to convert this 22lr to a HMR?
Old 08-22-2009, 05:36 PM
MICROGUNNER
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
The breech face is slightly different between the two bolts and the magazine well will be way too small (short) for 17HMR. Many other things are different as well. I don't believe this conversion is possible. But .22lr to .17HM2 is easy. Barrel change only.

Last edited by MICROGUNNER; 08-22-2009 at 05:39 PM.
Old 08-22-2009, 05:43 PM
dogknott

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
kinda what I figured, wouldn't mind haveing the Mach2, but ammo is almost impossible to find around here.

Looks like I will be buying a new 77/17 and putting a synthetic stock on it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-22-2009, 06:12 PM
red-feather

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dogknott View Post
kinda what I figured, wouldn't mind haveing the Mach2, but ammo is almost impossible to find around here.

Looks like I will be buying a new 77/17 and putting a synthetic stock on it.
Easy conversion from 22LR to 17 HMR. as long as you have a wood or laminate stock you can purchase a "mag" trigger guard aasy, magnum length magazine and barrel and you are ready to go. Check out the sticky at the top of the page (highlighted blue). bought my trigger guard assy from midway usa for $ 48.oo and a barrel from an RFC member. You may have to trim the ejector nib on the mag assy so the bolt will clear it...

red-feather~~~
Old 08-22-2009, 06:19 PM
TonyA

TPC Rating: 
100% (64)
What model 77/22 do you have? If you have a walnut or laminated stock it's easy. You need a trigger guard assembly to go along with the barrel and magazine. You can get a tg assembly from Midway or Brownells. Change barrels, put the action back in the stock, install trigger guard and you're ready to go. There is a difference with the synthetic stocks but I've never owned one and don't remember what it is. If you look at the sticky at the top of this section I believe it explains it. But the actions are the same. Same length and inletting is the same.

Now, I have read that the bolt face was somewhat different on older rifles and may not feed correctly but never really understood what the difference was. Headspace is different between the lr and magnum cases so you could end up on the tight side with magnum cases. Again, I don't recall the exact difference but I believe there is about .004 difference between the optimum for the two with lr being tighter. The rim diameter on a magnum case is larger than a lr so the magnum case could be a snug fit in a lr bolt face. Also, the length of the tenon/shank on the barrel could vary slightly. If it's a little long, the bolt could be harder/tighter to close. If it's a little short, you could end up with missfires from light firing pin strikes. As far as I know, GM includes shims with their barrels in case the shank is a little long. If it should turn out to be a little short then you'd have to have the shoulder on the barrel set back however many thousandths it is short. All I ever used on mine were factory barrels. One was a little snug on bolt closing but didn't seem to be enough to matter and the others were fine. Headspace on my rifle was on the tight side with the magnums but wasn't a problem and the same applied to the width of the relief in the bolt face. It was a snug fit but not too tight. Mine fed, fired and ejected fine.

So yeh, it can be done. And it's easy to do. But there are some things to watch for and to be prepared to deal with if necessary.

Tony
Old 08-22-2009, 06:20 PM
TonyA

TPC Rating: 
100% (64)
I see someone else was replying as I was typing. See, it can be done.

Tony
Old 08-22-2009, 09:59 PM
dogknott

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Yes, It is s synthetic stock and stailess, I thought I could get a magnum stock for it.
Old 08-22-2009, 10:46 PM
Chromie

TPC Rating: 
94% (28)
https://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums...d.php?t=127843
Old 08-23-2009, 02:11 AM
TonyA

TPC Rating: 
100% (64)
dogknott, you can. You can get one from Midway for $75 but they're listed as out of stock at the moment with an expected arrival of 9/30. Here's a link.

Ruger Magnum Synthetic Stock

And I stand by what I said. I just listed things to look for in case you had any problems. I had none. Can't give you the measurements off the top of my head but, with a magnum case the headspace was snug with the bolt in my rifle. And, one barrel that I had was a little snug when closing the bolt. Worked fine though. It's just normal tolerance differences from part to part.

Tony
Old 08-23-2009, 07:55 AM
dogknott

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I had seen those stocks, was planning on getting 1 if I decide to rezerct this 77/22, mite just buy a new 77/17 and get the stock also.

Thanks all for the insite
Old 08-23-2009, 12:02 PM
52jimmy

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
just my opinion but unless you really like projects it might make more sense to buy another gun--the money you'd spend converting the 22lr will go a long way toward the cost of the new one and you'll have 2 usable guns instead of just one and a bunch of leftover parts....

Best

Jimmy
Old 08-23-2009, 04:09 PM
dogknott

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 52jimmy View Post
just my opinion but unless you really like projects it might make more sense to buy another gun--the money you'd spend converting the 22lr will go a long way toward the cost of the new one and you'll have 2 usable guns instead of just one and a bunch of leftover parts....

Best

Jimmy
What I was thinking also, but my LR 77 barrel is getting worn, pattern has opened up bad last few years.