Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 11-07-2019, 12:46 PM
mefizto

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Question re .222 Remington rifle

Greetings all,

I would like to buy a rifle in this caliber. Is there any such a rifle with a two-stage trigger? Alternatively, is there an after market two stage trigger available for any such a rifle?

I am not opposed, or perhaps would prefer, and older one.

Kindest regards,

M
Old 11-07-2019, 01:58 PM
dgeesaman

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Rifle: any Remington 700 series or clone action.
Trigger: any aftermarket trigger that has a two stage option. Pull weight range and style to suit your preferences. Farley, Bixn Andy, Rifle Basix, Timney, etc should be worth a look. I can only speak directly about the Bixn Andy Competition two stage and itís brilliant.

If Rem 700 doesnít excite you then Iíd poke around the trigger suppliers pages and see what other actions they make a two stage for.
Old 11-07-2019, 02:02 PM
doubs43
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
That's hard to answer without knowing exactly what make and model rifle you have in mind.

OTOH, if you buy a Remington 700 in .222, there are many aftermarket triggers available to choose from.

Another option is to purchase the rifle of your choice and have it rebarreled.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-07-2019, 02:07 PM
TEDDY BEAR RAT
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! UotM

TPC Rating: 
100% (33)
Sounds like you're pretty set on a two-stage trigger. My first answer would be just get a Remington M700, for which you can get any trigger you want. The .222 is not a barrel burner, so even an older M700 would probably be fine...but that seems very boring to me

My first thought was actually a nice little Sako L46, also called a Riihimaki. They are well built and finished in the extreme, perhaps the best fit and finish of any factory bolt action rifle ever made. Astonishingly, examples in very good condition can be found in the $650 - $750 range...I know because I just bought one for $650 that was just sitting for months at a Cabelas. The problem is I'm unaware of any aftermarket triggers for them. The standard trigger is a close copy of the classic Winchester M70 trigger, and is just fine with me, but no two-stage, or any other trigger for that matter, is available.

My next thought was an older Anschutz .222 on the 54 action. They seem to be the ugly stepsister to the rimfire versions and don't command very high prices. You could easily find one with a DST, which are actually out there in good numbers, or, I'm certain you could have one of the Anschutz two-stage triggers fitted to the .222. I know, because I've done it. It is a rear-locking action that lacks the strength of the M700 or the Sako, but, as long as you treat it like a .222 (not try to turn it into a .223) and stay within SAAMI pressures, there should be no problem.

You didn't mention a budget, but Cooper offers very accurate .222s...don't think you can get a two-stage for one, however. There are myriad others out there, but they would need to be popular enough for aftermarket triggers to be available. These could include M70s, Ruger No. 1 M77, and a few others.

Good luck

TBR
Old 11-07-2019, 02:16 PM
mefizto

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Hi dgeesaman,

thank you for the reply, we know each other from the accurate shooter's page. ;-)

Hi doubs43,

I am confused about your reply because I am asking about which rifle has the option for two stage trigger, so I cannot name the rifle.

Hi TEDDY BEAR RAT,

yes, I am set on two stage trigger, I have them on air rifles and rim fire built on Anschutsz action.

Thus it seems that Remington 700 is my likely option.

Kindest regards,

M
Old 11-07-2019, 02:22 PM
TEDDY BEAR RAT
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! UotM

TPC Rating: 
100% (33)
Either an M700, or, as mentioned, one of the many clones out there that accept the M700-format trigger.

TBR
Old 11-07-2019, 02:42 PM
flangster

TPC Rating: 
100% (33)
While not a two stage trigger, the CZ 527 has a set trigger. It can either be operated in regular mode -- mine has about a three pound pull. Or it can be pushed forward and "set" in which case it has a much lighter pull -- under a pound in my case. I have two 527's in .222: an American, and a Full Stock.
Old 11-07-2019, 04:56 PM
papatrout65

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
CZ 527 has two stage trigger and are extremelly accurate. You might even be able to find a full stock.
Old 11-07-2019, 05:36 PM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Speaking in fairly general terms a two stage trigger isn't considered a desirable feature in an American sporting arm. So they tend to be uncommon on U.S. made sporting rifles. Continental Europe does appreciate two stage triggers. Unless you are willing to go for an after market trigger you may want to focus on European made firearms.
Old 11-07-2019, 06:39 PM
mefizto

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Hi flangster,

I am not looking for the lowest trigger weight, but rather stay consistent with the triggers across my guns.

Hi papatrout65,

do you have a link to a reference? All that I have been able to gather, and confirmed by several people is, that the trigger is single stage.

Hi 59801,

as far as I was able to ascertain, pnly older rifles, i.e. Sako AI and 10 series had two stage triggers, either original or after-market.

Kindest regards,

M
Old 11-07-2019, 07:10 PM
B23
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mefizto View Post
Greetings all,

I would like to buy a rifle in this caliber. Is there any such a rifle with a two-stage trigger? Alternatively, is there an after market two stage trigger available for any such a rifle?

I am not opposed, or perhaps would prefer, and older one.

Kindest regards,

M
When you "two-stage trigger" are you referring to a two stage like many AR's have, where the first stage of the trigger you are pulling the slack out of it and as you pull it further it reaches the second stag, OR, are you referring to a trigger like what is in the CZ 527 where it has it's normal trigger pull but you can push the trigger forward and "set" the trigger and it'll have a much lighter pull?

A two stage and a, set or double set, trigger are two entirely different animals and function differently.

I ask because I can't say that I've ever heard of or seen a two stage trigger in a bolt gun, lots of them are used in AR's though.
Old 11-07-2019, 08:29 PM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I should have been clearer in my opinion regarding U.S. as opposed to European views on triggers. In the States on hunting /sporting (not military) rifles most people want a clean breaking trigger. No pre travel and then it's supposed to break like a glass rod or icicle. This has been the shooting presses mantra about forever in the States and so most U.S. buyers look for this. U.S. military rifles generally have a two stage trigger as it's considered a safety feature. The Europeans seem to prefer the two stage trigger. On there sporting rifles there is a one or two pound short take up then an abrupt stop until you apply an additional couple of pounds then the trigger breaks cleanly. This is a cleaner or better version of the military trigger. Americans have been sold on the ideal of a clean break and I have to admit that I prefer it. Europe prefers the improved military style trigger pull. It's really more cultural than practical difference. There are quit a few differences between European and U.S. sporting arms. If an American rifle or scope manufacturer wants to break into the overseas market or a European manufacturer into the States they quit often find they cant offer the same product in both places. They generally have to change the stock design, calibers offered, trigger set up and a different customer perspective. We can basically have as many rifles as we want. In much of Europe your lucky if you can have a single hunting arm. If you can only have one rifle it's sort of human nature on both sides of the pond that it will then be as close to perfect in your opinion as humanly possible. The U.S. has never really appreciated Drillings or rifles with interchangeable barrels because we can have whole different rifles not only the one.
Old 11-08-2019, 11:06 AM
Bottom Gun

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
My first thought was actually a nice little Sako L46, also called a Riihimaki. They are well built and finished in the extreme, perhaps the best fit and finish of any factory bolt action rifle ever made. Astonishingly, examples in very good condition can be found in the $650 - $750 range...I know because I just bought one for $650 that was just sitting for months at a Cabelas. The problem is I'm unaware of any aftermarket triggers for them. The standard trigger is a close copy of the classic Winchester M70 trigger, and is just fine with me, but no two-stage, or any other trigger for that matter, is available.
A Sako Riihimaki or Vixen would be my choice as well. Sako rifles are hard to beat.

Timney may make a trigger for the L46. I bought a L461 on Gunbroker not long ago that had a problem with its safety.
Rather than try to repair it, I was able to find a Timney trigger for it. Install was very easy. This one is a single stage trigger though. Iím not sure if they make a two stage or not. Might be worth a search. . . . . . . .

FWIW, I like this Timney trigger as well as the factory triggers on my other Sakos.
Old 11-08-2019, 11:37 AM
GladesGuy

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
A less expensive alternative to the Sako Riihimaki would be the Remington Model 722 in that caliber. My 1950 vintage Rem 722 equivalent has one of the nicest triggers on any of my rifles. Even better than the aftermarket Timney triggers on my other guns.
Old 11-08-2019, 05:47 PM
mefizto

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Hi B23,

I am aware of the difference between a two stage trigger and a set trigger. See 59801 post.

Hi 59801,

I have two stage trigger on all rifles.

Hi Bottom Gun, GladesGuy,

Timney makes triggers only for Sako A action.

Kindest regards,

M