Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 10-17-2019, 08:03 PM
azimuth

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Scoping a Winchester 52 Repro

I recently purchased a Winchester 52 repro and would like to furnish it with a nice looking set of bases/rings. I've read through most of the old threads and am more confused now than when I started. I also have a Browning model 52 that has a nice set of detachable rings/bases that look like Talley's, but are not marked. If I could find out who made them and get the same setup then I could possibly swap scopes between the rifles when desired. Below is the setup on the Browning. Can anyone identify them and possibly share the maker and model number for the parts? This would be a great help since rings/bases are not my strong suit. Short of that, I would love to hear any other suggestions you might have on the matter.
Thanks in advance for any help offered!

Old 10-17-2019, 11:31 PM
HUSHKABOOM
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (43)
Look similar to the early Warne rings and bases that were used on Kimbers.
Old 10-18-2019, 02:38 AM
doubs43
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
I have two of the Winchester repro Model 52 rifles. One is the pencil barrel model and has Leupold bases. The other is a Zander's heavy barrel model and has Weaver bases.

I don't know if the Leupold bases are still available but they were made specifically for the repro Winchesters.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-18-2019, 06:11 AM
VertFish

TPC Rating: 
100% (48)
Bases for the reproduction 52s are getting harder to find. I could never warm up to the Browning bases because the front base extends over the receiver.
Old 10-18-2019, 06:48 AM
azimuth

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
HUSHKABOOM: Look similar to the early Warne rings and bases that were used on Kimbers.
I just went and looked at the Warnes, but didn't see any bases that were made for either M52. The setup that is on my Browning (in the photos) isn't the rimfire style or the weaver style with a crossbolt. The rings just slip on from the rear and seem to be very high quality and precisely machined. Is that the way the Kimber setup worked?

From what I've read, I believe Leupold quit making bases for these rifles.

VertFish, I agree about the Browning bases, and I think they had issues of their own in regard to positioning the scope far enough to the rear.
Old 10-18-2019, 07:03 AM

TPC Rating: 
100% (9)
Those are Talley rings and bases. Check out the Talley website. They show bases for the 52 Repro and their quick detachable rings look like what you have as well. I've not tried the detachable rings but I have their fixed rings and bases on most of my rifles and prefer them over others I've tried. They are rock solid. The fixed rings are marked Talley, not sure about the detachable version.
Old 10-18-2019, 07:09 AM
Out of $

TPC Rating: 
100% (15)
Bases

I no longer have a 52 Reproduction. I struggled with rings and scope placement. The best sucess that I had was, Weaver aluminum bases which I redrilled and counter bored one mounting hole and then recut the slot.
Tough gun to scope!
I do not like to "crane" my neck forward to shoot!
Old 10-18-2019, 08:54 AM
justinp61

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I used Weaver bases and offset rings. The rings in the link have one offset ring, they are available with both offset.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Old 10-18-2019, 09:50 AM
BenTolson

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
The rings shown on the Browning appear to be from an early Kimber of Oregon Model 82 rifle.... they are highly sought after and can bring up to $250 & more depending on type and condition. The pictured rings levers have "plumbed"... which was and is common for early production, the top screw however should have a Filster slot head, not the hex head shown...maybe the screws were replaced at some point or were transitional production IDK. The rings were originally designed and produced by gunsmith Leonard Brownell of Wyoming... and later by Jack Warne (Kimber of Oregon) with royalties paid to Brownell. The evolution of their production has resulted in a variation of this style being made by Warne and also Talley... but the most recent versions produced are not as refined IMO.

You can find out more about them at the following link: https://www.rimfirecentral.com/forum...d.php?t=765841

Here's a follow-up article regarding Jack Warne and Warne scope mounts. https://warnescopemounts.com/our-story/

Last edited by BenTolson; 10-18-2019 at 10:40 AM.
Old 10-18-2019, 10:14 AM
BenTolson

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
PM sent to OP
Old 10-18-2019, 01:44 PM
azimuth

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Looks like the bases/rings have finally been identified, thanks to Mr. Tolson.
And a big thanks to all who replied to the thread. I do wish Leupold offered a double dovetail package for these rifles, as I've always liked the clean look of that setup.
Old 10-18-2019, 02:18 PM
HUSHKABOOM

TPC Rating: 
100% (43)
It would appear the early LB rings had slotted top screw and the later Kimber/Warne rings have the hex head?
Old 10-18-2019, 03:46 PM
VertFish

TPC Rating: 
100% (48)
Quote:
Originally Posted by HUSHKABOOM View Post
It would appear the early LB rings had slotted top screw and the later Kimber/Warne rings have the hex head?
That is correct Hush. The second gen. vertically split rings also came with a hex wrench. I suspect that the bases were Kimber round top bases, but I have no idea which model numbers would fit the 52-R.

Ben Tolson: It is nice to see somebody actually reads my posts!
Old 10-18-2019, 04:05 PM
3Dub

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by azimuth View Post
Looks like the bases/rings have finally been identified, thanks to Mr. Tolson.
And a big thanks to all who replied to the thread. I do wish Leupold offered a double dovetail package for these rifles, as I've always liked the clean look of that setup.
Quote:
I do wish Leupold offered a double dovetail package for these rifles
From another recent thread:
Weaver #46s or #85s (85s sit higher & radius of curvature fits better than the #46)
S&K: Item "CF"
Leupold: 50038 (50032 will also work)
Leupold: 50046 for dual dovetail,
Conetrol: "88" series
Talley: 252717
Warne: 902

one-piece bases such as the Weaver #53 and Redfield JR (47148).

EGW lists two Picatinny rails (42800 & 42802) for the Winchester 88/100 that should fit.
http://www.egwguns.com/winchester/

Disclaimer: I have not tried all of these; this info was dug up in trying to find alternate bases for the 52Rs. One-piece bases from Weaver, Buehler & Redfield all fit a 52R.
Old 10-18-2019, 04:17 PM
SageRat22

TPC Rating: 
100% (10)
I have had my Win 52r outfitted with Talley bases and rings for years. I really like the clean look and the fact that it allows the scope quite a bit of rearward movement