Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 10-21-2019, 01:29 PM
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (6)
Ammo for Cooler Temps?

The weather in my area is finally starting to cool off and now I'm trying to figure out how to deal with the effects it's having on my ammo.

I shot a match this past weekend, where the temps were 40 degrees cooler than when I shot the same match in September...76 degrees when the match started in September versus 36 on Saturday.

I've read before about the effects of cooler temps on rimfire ammo, but hadn't really noticed it until I shot at 200 yards and immediately noticed that my preferred lot of Center-X was hitting over 1 MIL lower at 200 than at any other time I've shot at that distance.

I've never tried any of the Polar Biathlon ammo, but am considering picking some up to try in the colder temps. My last match of the season is this Saturday though, so I doubt I can get anything delivered and tested in time for the last match.

For those who've shot it, did you see better performance in cooler temps compared to other ammo you've shot previously?

I'm most concerned with the performance at 150 yards and farther.

Also, I realize that each rifle has it's own likes and dislikes when it comes to ammo, but I'm curious to hear if anyone has tried each of the available Biathlon ammo...SK Biathlon, Fiocchi Super Match Biathlon, Lapua Polar Biathlon, Lapua Biathlon Extreme and Eley Match Biathlon?

Lastly, is there a particular round that you've had great performance from, in colder temps that isn't a Biathlon round?

Since I'll have to order the ammo to try it out, I'd like to narrow the field as much as possible before placing an order.

For reference, the rifles I shoot matches most with, are Vudoo's, a 1727 Trainer and a 54.18 MSR.

Thanks in advance!
Old 10-21-2019, 01:45 PM
jaia

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
From my attempts at 200 yards last winter, Florida so it ain't much different,
most of the biathlon labeled 22lr did well in comparison to the SV cartridges.
They appear to run 30 to 50 fps faster than the SV under the same conditions.
RWS R100 does well, another 22lr loaded to run faster than RWS R50.
Old 10-21-2019, 01:46 PM
ShootingStar

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
rolltide,
Can't comment on the Lapua Polar Biathlon since I've not shot it - cold or hot!
I'm guessing they have some temperature insensitive powder as I've read several articles where folks have tested it in a cold tunnel.

As a Smallbore Silhouette shooter, we shoot in varying temps throughout the year (here in the mountains of Western North Carolina and other places). What we have done to overcome the cold temps - that may warm up 20+ degrees in the afternoon - is to place the ammo (in a magazine) in our pockets and only get it out when we are about to shoot. Some folks will use the chemical hand warmers in a sweatshirt front pocket to the same effect. I think my pocket gets it up to about 70-75 F or so. This keeps the point of impact the same as when ambient temps are about that range too.

Just one person's point of view. Hope it helps.
No additional ammo order needed!

ShootingStar

ps - War Eagle!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-21-2019, 03:18 PM
dstoenner
US Navy Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (14)
For me in NC i have found that Eley match and 10X is more sensitive cold and produces much poorer groups. RWS and Lapua ammo does about the same cold as hot. I use R50 and Center-X for the record

David
Old 10-21-2019, 04:00 PM
NIB

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShootingStar View Post
rolltide,
Can't comment on the Lapua Polar Biathlon since I've not shot it - cold or hot!
I'm guessing they have some temperature insensitive powder as I've read several articles where folks have tested it in a cold tunnel.
One step up from Polar Biathlon (Biathlon Xtreme) uses the "Temp insensitive powder". I believe it's the only cold weather 22 ammo to do so.
https://www.lapua.com/cartridges/biathlon-xtreme-22-lr/