100% (2)
I like my Hoppe's.....

Ö.on the rocks, with a splash.
Old 06-24-2019, 08:00 PM
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

Central NY, The good part, not the rotten apple
TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
I remember my Grandmother had a can of benzene with the flip top like lighter fluid. She used it for removing stains and the occasional road tar from my cuts and scraps when I wiped out riding my bike. Then I'd get a dose of iodine before the band aid.
Old 06-24-2019, 08:24 PM
68hoyt

TPC Rating: 
100% (7)
Iím a millwright by trade and the old timers talk of using benzene for washing gloves , pouring buckets of it in wheelbarrows to wash tools , and cleaning the gunk off themselves , one other thing , a few years ago you were exposed to a higher dose of benzene at the gas pump than we we allowed to be exposed to working in different refineries ,not sure how much is in the fumes now and how well they are recovered now
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-25-2019, 04:31 PM
Skeeve
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! Appleseed Member Appleseed Rifleman

Lo-Cal So.Cal., where the money is plastic & the people are too!
TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooter22 View Post
I remember my Grandmother had a can of benzene with the flip top like lighter fluid. She used it for removing stains and the occasional road tar from my cuts and scraps when I wiped out riding my bike. Then I'd get a dose of iodine before the band aid.
Right with you there: my grandpa had a big old flip-spout gas can [like an industrial strength tea-kettle] of benzene we kept at the beach house for getting the tar off your feet. [When I was a kid, before the Catalina channel had a slew of oil rigs from Sta. Barbara to Huntington Beach, all the oil seeped up from the ocean bottom and floated to shore as tar. Yep, I'm just that old... Anyway, once they started pumping the oil out & selling it to other countries (CA oil is too high of sulfur content to use here, apparently) it relieved the pressure pushing it out of the ocean bottom & we don't get that any more, which is nice.]

Drinking out of the garden hose, lead house paint, benzene to cure tar-heel syndrome, lawn darts: however did we survive?
Old 06-25-2019, 05:50 PM
chuckbiscuits

TPC Rating: 
100% (17)
I used to work at a manufacturer of machines used in the fiberglass industry. I also worked for a guy who used to work there years before me. He told me they had a 55-gallon drum of MEK (methyl ethyl ketone) with the lid taken off and they would all wash up in it after a shift. Good times!!
Old 06-26-2019, 12:48 PM
bearcatter

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
There are Hoppe's air fresheners for sale. I don't see them on Hoppe's site, but they are on Amazon, Sportsman's Warehouse, eBay, etc..
Old 06-26-2019, 01:02 PM
craftsmanjack
Law Enforcement Officer

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Survival

Well said! How did we survive?
Old 06-26-2019, 05:36 PM
Petey
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by craftsmanjack View Post
Well said! How did we survive?
Maybe that's why we're seeing an influx of Democrat voters now?

Just sayin'
Old 06-26-2019, 07:53 PM
chuckbiscuits

TPC Rating: 
100% (17)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bearcatter View Post
There are Hoppe's air fresheners for sale. I don't see them on Hoppe's site, but they are on Amazon, Sportsman's Warehouse, eBay, etc..
I had one, but lost it when my car was stolen.
Old 06-26-2019, 08:13 PM
SailDesign

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petey View Post
Maybe that's why we're seeing an influx of Democrat voters now?

Just sayin'
Coz all the others dropped dead of chemical poisoning...?

Or is that not what you meant?

Old 06-26-2019, 08:34 PM
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

Central NY, The good part, not the rotten apple
TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skeeve View Post
Right with you there: my grandpa had a big old flip-spout gas can [like an industrial strength tea-kettle] of benzene we kept at the beach house for getting the tar off your feet. [When I was a kid, before the Catalina channel had a slew of oil rigs from Sta. Barbara to Huntington Beach, all the oil seeped up from the ocean bottom and floated to shore as tar. Yep, I'm just that old... Anyway, once they started pumping the oil out & selling it to other countries (CA oil is too high of sulfur content to use here, apparently) it relieved the pressure pushing it out of the ocean bottom & we don't get that any more, which is nice.]

Drinking out of the garden hose, lead house paint, benzene to cure tar-heel syndrome, lawn darts: however did we survive?
Yeah all that. Another thing I remember was when my grandparents had a small lake front camp. There was a dirt road behind it. So all the camp owners used to "oil the road" to keep the dust down. How was that done? They all went to the town gas stations and filled up 5 gallon cans with used motor oil. Us kids were given metal watering cans filled with the used oils and we "oiled" the road behind our camps. Ended up covered up to our knees with it. Then we all ran down and jumped into the lake to see who could make the biggest rainbow. The DEC would have LOVED us.
Old 06-26-2019, 09:00 PM
SailDesign

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by scooter22 View Post
Yeah all that. Another thing I remember was when my grandparents had a small lake front camp. There was a dirt road behind it. So all the camp owners used to "oil the road" to keep the dust down. How was that done? They all went to the town gas stations and filled up 5 gallon cans with used motor oil. Us kids were given metal watering cans filled with the used oils and we "oiled" the road behind our camps. Ended up covered up to our knees with it. Then we all ran down and jumped into the lake to see who could make the biggest rainbow. The DEC would have LOVED us.
We used to wash tar off our feet (and elsewhere when sat in) at the beach with good old leaded gas. Never occurred to us it could be dangerous.

Old 06-27-2019, 05:55 PM
Petey
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SailDesign View Post
Coz all the others dropped dead of chemical poisoning...?

Or is that not what you meant?
Well, NJ does seem to have it's share of Democrats and poisonous chemicals wafting through the air...

Hmm, wonder if there's a connection somewhere?
Old 06-27-2019, 06:03 PM
Hippy

TPC Rating: 
78% (5)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SailDesign View Post
Also an excellent causer of all sorts of lovely little chronic illnesses. But it IS your choice.

After benezine was removed from Hoppe's 9 a Chemist who was also a BR shooter determined that 2 oz per gal would give the same results as as the "Old " #9

I have a gal that I have used for the last several years still god stuff

Most all of the cleaners advise using in a "Well Ventilated" area

Jim
Old 06-27-2019, 09:22 PM
Gearhead Jim

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I haven't used it much, but the recent Hoppes #9 that I've experimented with doesn't seem to be any better at dissolving powder residue than Break Free CLP, and the CLP is a better lube and rust protector.

Aside from the nostalgia of the name, #9 doesn't seem to have a lot of use now.

But those of you with more experience might have a different opinion. Let's just compare #9 and CLP, for now we can forget about all the other solvents and lubes that are worth considering.

What say ye?