Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 06-23-2019, 04:45 PM
dbuffington

TPC Rating: 
100% (9)
Salt or No Salt?

Hi Folks!

For many moons, I’ve been in search of an unsalted T2 … that is a Belgian-made, Browning T-Bolt “deluxe” model without the salt wood damage that plagues that model.

I’ve passed on several with visible damage and actually bought a salty one that was advertised as clean. (Yes, I lost my shirt on that one.)

Then today, a good looking T2 came up for sale at Cordier Auctions, a local auction house. It was made in 1966 (serial number 12348x6) at the dawn of the salt era. Full details are available here -- https://www.proxibid.com/Firearms-Mi...ation/48688024 -- but here’s the key picture:

The description doesn’t mention the salt issue, but it does mention corrosion near the front of the receiver. (The photo is from Cordier. I added the arrow.)

I inspected the gun before the auction today and saw no visible signs of any other corrosion. However, like most auction houses, they do not allow you to disassemble guns for inspection. (That’s not a complaint. I understand completely.)

So I had to guess:

Salt or No Salt?

Yes, I bought it. For $310 out the door, I could afford to take a chance. But what do you think?

Enjoy!
Dave
Old 06-23-2019, 06:36 PM
izhm
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Salt , most likely .
Old 06-23-2019, 06:54 PM
Camster

TPC Rating: 
99% (54)
I agree-Salt. However 310 is a very good price for one not too afflicted.
(however, pulling the action from the stock may reveal a different picture)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-23-2019, 06:56 PM
barryinPa

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
I have 2 and they both show rust right there, bought both knowing that, and for that price, I would have bought that one. they still shoot fine, but I could never understand how anyone with any brains would combine salt and blued steel.
Barry
Old 06-23-2019, 07:02 PM
ms6852
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Would some one please explain the story or provide a link to an article with the "history that plagues this model?" Forgive my ignorance but I was not aware of it.

Thank you.
Old 06-23-2019, 08:05 PM
NVaVettes

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ms6852 View Post
Would some one please explain the story or provide a link to an article with the "history that plagues this model?" Forgive my ignorance but I was not aware of it.

Thank you.
https://shotgunreport.com/2013/05/22...ood-explained/
Old 06-23-2019, 08:53 PM
dbuffington

TPC Rating: 
100% (9)
Quote:
Originally Posted by NVaVettes View Post
That's a good explanation. Also, check out the Art's Gun Shop videos on YouTube. There are several that address the salt wood issue.

I should add that the problem had a heavy impact on higher grade Brownings -- Piegon and Diana grade Superposeds, Medallion grade "High Power" rifles and "T2" or Deluxe T-Bolts.

You'll also find different answers to the question of what year Browning started and stopped using salt-dried wood. The recognized expert on Superposeds, Ned Schwing, says:

All of this curing was done in the U.S. and affected at least ninety percent of all stocks for all Browning firearms for the years 1967 through 1969. The problem continued to show up as late at 1972, but in much smaller numbers.

However, others cite 1966 as the start date, which brings us back to this new-to-me T-Bolt ...

The first test for salt wood is to remove any screws that go into the wood. In this case, that would be the trigger guard and butt plate screws. If the gun is salty, the screws can be difficult, sometimes impossible, to remove and very heavily corroded.

Which means, uh, oh ...

But really, that rust is all superficial. I've seen plenty of 50 year old screws in worse shape. Now, the trigger guard screw ...

Like new, eh?

Tomorrow, I'll try to post photos of the receiver and barrel.

Enjoy!
Dave
Old 06-23-2019, 11:59 PM
ms6852
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thank you all for your responses and links...I'm always learning, today I am smarter than yesterday...it's a good day.
Old 06-24-2019, 02:22 AM
Trailboss
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member Appleseed Member Appleseed Rifleman

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
I've been hunting with a salt T-2 for around 30 years. It has a smaller than dime sized rust spot hidden by the wood. Each year I remove the stock, wipe it down and re-grease the metal. It hasn't worsened in 30 years. The wood has an exhibition grade look and the rifle is high quality and accurate. A dream to squirrel hunt with. I wouldn't trade it for a non-salt gun, I like it too much.
Old 06-24-2019, 07:32 AM
jerryray

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I have a 1967 T2 deluxe just like the picture. Very small rust spot less than dime sized at the barrel receiver junction that was mostly hidden by the stock. Also the butt plate screws were a little rusty. I cleaned up the screws and waxed them and also cleaned up the rust spot. I keep the stock off the gun unless I want to shoot it. I believe some of these guns only got a "little" contaminated by salt. Anyway the rust hasn't increased at all in my gun. I've had it about five years now.
Old 06-24-2019, 09:20 AM
dbuffington

TPC Rating: 
100% (9)
Now, here’s the barrel …

Good news! Not a spot on it, but there are some interesting marks in the barrel channel …

I have no idea what they mean.

Now, onto the receiver. The left side and the bottom are completely corrosion free, but on the right side there are two rusty spots …

As with the butt plate screw, these spots are troubling, but not necessarily unique for any 50 year old gun. I should also note that there are no signs of corrosion on the bolt or steel parts of the trigger mechanism.

Enjoy!
Dave
Old 06-24-2019, 09:22 AM
dbuffington

TPC Rating: 
100% (9)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trailboss View Post
I've been hunting with a salt T-2 for around 30 years. It has a smaller than dime sized rust spot hidden by the wood. Each year I remove the stock, wipe it down and re-grease the metal. It hasn't worsened in 30 years. The wood has an exhibition grade look and the rifle is high quality and accurate. A dream to squirrel hunt with. I wouldn't trade it for a non-salt gun, I like it too much.
Oh, I'd love to see a picture of that!
Dave
Old 06-24-2019, 10:26 AM
oldbird13

TPC Rating: 
100% (6)
Salt gun

My 2 cents is it is a salt gun due to the underneath photo of the barrel/receiver. Someone could have replaced the screw for the trigger guard. I attended an auction once where their "onsite gunsmith" didn't think a gun had salt damage. I challenged him, politely, to allow us to remove the buttstock screws and there was much rust so I walked. They did not mention it at auction bid time..which was disappointing to me. Their "gunsmith" acted like I was speaking Greek when I initially asked about the salt issue.
Old 06-24-2019, 10:28 AM
oldbird13

TPC Rating: 
100% (6)
Wonder what some CLP and Big 45 could do for that receiver...
Old 06-24-2019, 10:44 AM
dbuffington

TPC Rating: 
100% (9)
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldbird13 View Post
Wonder what some CLP and Big 45 could do for that receiver...
The short answer: Wonders

Right after I took the photos, I hit those spots with CLP and Big 45. That took the rust right off, revealing minimal metal loss.

Thanks!
Dave