Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 11-06-2014, 12:13 PM
porkchop401
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Nutria its for dinner !!!!

Howdy fellas, while fishing the other day I saw several nutria and was reflecting on when I first herd of eating them and decided to try them .
I deboned and ground the meat , cooked it down with onions and bell pepper then mix it with cooked long grain rice and seasoned to taste.
Not bad eating!
If any body else has any experience with nutria please share.
I am wanting to cook more.
Old 11-06-2014, 06:36 PM
Skeeve
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! Appleseed Member Appleseed Rifleman

Lo-Cal So.Cal., where the money is plastic & the people are too!
TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Sounds like an awful lot of work.

Work out a trade program w/ the local gator farm? 1# of gator cutlets for every 5# of whole nutria? What else are they going to do w/ the gator meat, they're only after the hides anyway, right?
Old 11-06-2014, 06:53 PM
sicumj
Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Being up north I had to Google it. Just what I thought, Rats!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-06-2014, 08:59 PM
deathray

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
whats for dinner

During WW II they would collect the Muskrats from the trappers in Michigan and cook it up and feed it to the factory workers, I know times were tougher back then. But I trap and always thought the meat on the rats looked really good, they eat mostly vegetation? To of my favorite game animals to eat are grey squirrels and cottontail rabbits, brown them good on the stove, put in a roaster with carrots and onions and put in oven till meat falls off the bone. Don't see any difference in the three? Had a aunt that would take all the coons I caught and have a coon feed at my folks little country bar back in the day. Now coon are like living garbage machines but she knew what she was doing and always had a large crowd the night of the coon feed. So if you did a good job cooking up the Nutria I bet they would be tasty. Just depends how hungry you are.
Old 11-07-2014, 06:04 AM
porkchop401

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Here is a recipe I found!!
http://nutria.com/site16.php
Old 11-07-2014, 06:47 AM
dbmjr1
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
We used to have an annual party. We'd cook three pigs, fifty chickens, five gallons of jambalaya, and more.

One year Sheriff Harry Lee, God Rest his soul, dropped off a bunch of cleaned Nutria that his deputies had culled from the canal banks.

We seasoned and smoked them with the chickens.

Most God Awe full meat I ever tasted.

Don't put them in a smoker.

Maybe dirty rice ?

Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
Old 11-07-2014, 08:36 AM

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
The sound "Nutritious".
Old 11-07-2014, 10:01 AM
jon p
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
Thumbs down real hungry

i would have to be starving before i could eat a BIG RAT !
Old 11-09-2014, 07:38 PM
JAMES WHITTEN

TPC Rating: 
100% (21)
Quote:
Originally Posted by M2HB View Post
The sound "Nutritious".
Funniest thing I heard all day!!
James
Old 11-09-2014, 10:23 PM
SARGE
US Air Force Disabled American Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (75)
I've eaten muskrat and it's good. Beaver is really good. De-bone it, pound the meat, salt, pepper, roll in flour and fry it in bacon grease.
Old 11-09-2014, 10:37 PM
ditto1958

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Porkchop, at the rate nutria multiply, you may have hit on a solution to world hunger!

I never saw any in the five years I lived in Louisiana. If I had seen any, you can bet my 10/22 would have gotten a workout.

A little side note: I always liked it how "nutria rat" ended up getting shortened so it was pronounced "nutra-rat."
Old 11-09-2014, 10:54 PM
BOI

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
I was raised just west of Abilene, TX. We had a circus that came to town every summer when I was in high school. There was a guy with the circus that had a nutria in a cage that offered money for anyone that could tell him what the exotic animal was. We didn't have any nutria in our area but my brother and I knew what they were and told the guy it was a nutria. He got mad and told us we didn't know what we were talking about and wouldn't pay us our money. I've eaten armadillo but never a nutria.
Old 11-10-2014, 12:18 AM
JJB

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by M2HB View Post
The sound "Nutritious".

sounds a lot better than "soilent green"......... and we all know what that was.......................................... .............................................
Old 11-10-2014, 10:10 AM
mossbergnut

TPC Rating: 
100% (20)
[QUOTE=BOI;5187683]I was raised just west of Abilene, TX. We had a circus that came to town every summer when I was in high school. There was a guy with the circus that had a nutria in a cage that offered money for anyone that could tell him what the exotic animal was. We didn't have any nutria in our area but my brother and I knew what they were and told the guy it was a nutria. He got mad and told us we didn't know what we were talking about and wouldn't pay us our money. I've eaten armadillo but never a nutria.[/QUOTE]

If you can eat an armadillo....you should be able to eat ANYTHING ALIVE OR DEAD!!!
...just saying.
Old 11-10-2014, 10:27 AM
ditto1958

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BOI View Post
I was raised just west of Abilene, TX. We had a circus that came to town every summer when I was in high school. There was a guy with the circus that had a nutria in a cage that offered money for anyone that could tell him what the exotic animal was. We didn't have any nutria in our area but my brother and I knew what they were and told the guy it was a nutria. He got mad and told us we didn't know what we were talking about and wouldn't pay us our money. I've eaten armadillo but never a nutria.
I remember back in college, one of my buddies went to a carnival. One of the tents there featured "Cambodian Killer Rats." He said he paid the money to go in and see them, even though he knew he was being taken. When he got in the tent, there were two nutria sitting in a cage, munching on their food. He said he went out of there rolling on the floor laughing.