CZ 457 MTR 100 yds various ammo - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 05-14-2019, 04:35 PM
US Air Force Disabled American Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
CZ 457 MTR 100 yds various ammo

2 hrs on the range today. Did the sight in on the CZ 457 and did some practice on some steel.

First was the CZ 457 Match, bull barrel, bolt action with a Weaver 36x40 glass. Did a bore sight, then sighted it in. 1st attachment. Brought 16 different brands/types of .22. A couple of notes. Target #7 the 2 bulls and the 2 o clock is from the #7 ammo. The other 3 rds belong to target #12. Long way off. The other note is target #6. The one round that is at the 6 o clock position on target #1 belongs to target #6. Each square is 2.5" x 2.5".

Here is the ammo used corresponding to the number on the target.

1. CCI SV
2. Eley Match Xtra
3. RWS Rifle Match
4. Federal Target
5. Lapua Pistol OSP
6. Eley Edge
7. Lapua Center X
8. SK Pistol Match
9. Wolf Match Target
10. Lapua Master L
11. CCI Green Tag
12. CCI Select
13. Eley Club
14. Wolf Match Extra
15. Lapua Midas L
16. Lapua Pistol King
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1181.jpg (546.3 KB, 90 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1182.jpg (558.8 KB, 110 views)
Old 05-14-2019, 06:06 PM
doubs43
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
IMO, those that bear further testing include 2, 5, 9, 11 & 14. Those look promising.

You don't say what the range conditions were; i.e., wind, temperature etc. Your results may have been impacted by variables like those. Did you cleaned your bore or at least run a dry patch through it or fire 5 or 10 cartridges before shooting your group with each?

Also, if that's a new rifle with only a few rounds through it, you may find that it'll improve with a brick or two through it. It is definitely a nice looking rifle for sure.
Old 05-14-2019, 06:40 PM
US Army Disabled American Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (6)
I don't know that you shot enough groups with each ammo to even get a feel for it. When I am just trying ammo I typically will shoot 30-40 rds just to get a feel for the gun then shoot 3 groups of 5rds to see what ammo shows signs of working well. Sometimes when switching ammo the 1st round or two will throw a litgle wide, not always but sometimes. You may have a couple kinds of ammo that did this then would have settled down and been your tightest grouping ammo.

Maybe you did more of this and didn't write about it but we can only go by what was written. Nice looking rig for sure.
Advertisement

Old 05-14-2019, 07:56 PM
US Air Force Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
If you just switched ammo and shot a group. Don’t tell me much. If you cleaned and shot for a group. That wouldn’t tell me much either.
Really the only thing you may have done is got use to the trigger on your rig. So not a total waste of time and or ammo.

Cheers.
Old 05-14-2019, 08:52 PM
US Marines NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I'm with grg on this one.

Generally speaking it takes 5-10 rounds just to transition from on type of ammo (and it's lubricant) to another. I shoot no less than 15 rounds testing for groups, and I'm usually only paying attention to the last 5 round group in a series of three. If it looks promising I'll shoot a few more, for around 30 rounds total. If it's not promising after the first 15, I'll cut my losses and move on.

If you shoot just 5 rounds and then switch to the next ammo type, you're actually never going to get consistent results or see how the ammo performs as you're never reaching a stable condition in the bore with the "new" lubricant.

Looking at your groups at 50 yards, it's clear you are no where near the accuracy potential of the rifle with most of those loads. With that rifle and many of those loads, you should be looking at close to bug hole 5 shot groups at 50 yards.

Last edited by Model 52; 05-14-2019 at 08:55 PM.
Old 05-14-2019, 09:11 PM
US Air Force Disabled American Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thanks for the replies.

@ doubs - To answer your questions, this was the first time out, and took about 10 rds or so on the sight in. Didn't clean the bore between changing ammo. Just did 3 shot groups, then on to the next box. Yes, I know all the big time Benchrest folks clean the bores at every target change (about 20 rds). Today was just mainly just wanted to get a feel on what the gun likes.

The weather was high 60's, partly cloudy, small breeze, just enough to ruffle the wind sock. Although, it did rain about 0400 hrs.

@grg - read your reply several times, and then the light finally went off. I did notice on a couple of brands of ammo, the first one was a flier, but it didn't click until I read your reply. Thank you.

The only other thing I did went I first got the CZ, did a field strip and lube, then adjust the trigger as light as it would go, which is 1.25 - 1.5#.

So far I'm pleased with the rifle, just need more trigger time, and like doubs suggested, to bring those brands for further testing.

Again, thanks for the comments, I'm really green when it comes to benchrest, so eager to learn from the experts.
Old 05-14-2019, 09:20 PM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
@ Model 52, thank you for your advice, and will take it. And thank you for the education.
Old 05-14-2019, 09:47 PM
US Air Force Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Back target to 50 yards.
And shoot about 6- five shots groups with one ammo.
Then switch ammo and repeat.
Groups 4 and 5 are the ones to pay attention too.
If they look promising retry them.
And clean barrel and reshoot.
Shoot about 7 groups of five. After 15 fouler shots.
Then you’ll know if barrel likes or not.

Stock/receiver torque.
When you whittle down to the better performers ammo wise.
Then you can’t play with torque settings.
When you find best settings.
Then you can move back to 100 with little to no wind and get some valuable intel.

After you adjust torque on receiver screws, I recommend shooting 2-3 shots beforehand shooting for groups.

It is what is left in the barrel from the previous shot that has a great deal to do with how the next shot turns out. Even changing screw torque can make the bullet fingerprints change a little ( inside the barrel).

Sometimes when you clean a rimfire barrel, especially a higher quality one. It may take as many as 25-30 shots before the barrel actually starts performing groups wise at its best. Lubed on bullets like sk, wolf, rws. etc can be a contributing factor. But the better lubed bullets seem to on average give best results out of higher quality 22 LF barrels. I rate the lube on cci standard velocity/green tag as substandard. I wish it had better lube like some of the Euro loads do. And be on the lookout for the best cheaper performer. Can be used to practice with and save some loot.

Last edited by squirrel1; 05-14-2019 at 09:52 PM.
Old 05-14-2019, 09:48 PM
CaptBill252

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I'm like a sponge.
Sucking it all in.
Just wish I had 2 hours to play.
Just received my green monsters, yesterday.
Can't wait to do some drilling with the MTR.
I've got 2 boxes of RWS Special Match, 1 RWS R50 and a box of Federal Match to play with.
It does OK with CCI and Federal but I want to see what it will do with the premium stuff.

Bill H
Old 05-14-2019, 10:46 PM
JDMANN

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Fouling Shots

My son's 452 silhouette rifle settles in after 5-10 shots from a clean bore. Mine takes 20-25 to get back on track. I clean the bore, fire 5x5 shot groups to foul, then fire 5x5 shot groups to test each brand and lot# of ammo. Clean bore, start with next brand/lot and repeat the test. Sometimes it takes all day, but I feel stress melt away when little, tiny groups emerge at 100 yards.
Old 05-14-2019, 11:24 PM
prairie maggot
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Hey, take your time. Have some fun and put about 500 rounds through the barrel before shooting for accuracy. Give it a really good cleaning including the infamous black ring, and then set up your process for accuracy testing. most barrels (rifles) do better after a break-in period. Like you, I would like my rifles to shoot quarter inch groups at 100 yards from the get go, but it just adds to both frustration and to inaccurate results. Burt
Old 05-15-2019, 06:20 PM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
@squirrel - Your reply was extremely helpful. Will be doing all of your suggestions. Thank you for the in depth relpy. I'm very grateful.

@Bill - Good luck with your MTR

@JD - Great thoughts thank you.

@ prairie maggot - "infamous black ring" need to research that. Thanks.
Old 05-15-2019, 08:10 PM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by prairie maggot View Post
Like you, I would like my rifles to shoot quarter inch groups at 100 yards from the get go, but it just adds to both frustration and to inaccurate results. Burt
I don't think 1/4" groups at 100 yards with a .22 is a realistic expectation under any circumstances.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Model 52 View Post
Looking at your groups at 50 yards, it's clear you are no where near the accuracy potential of the rifle with most of those loads. With that rifle and many of those loads, you should be looking at close to bug hole 5 shot groups at 50 yards.
The title of the thread was at 100 yards, that's the distance I thought he was shooting.
Old 05-15-2019, 09:15 PM
CaptBill252

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I probably shot 60 rounds of some old junk ammo out to 100 yds today.
Boy what a joke. Embarrassing.
Switched to CCI sv and could watch the bullets fall. CCI sv is a 25, 50 yard ammo.
I was doing just what I expected. Throwing lead at 2 big targets and 3 sizes of spinners to find what the scope is telling me.
I'll save that junk ammo for the 10/22 to spray at something.
Now I know. Next!!

I am saving the good ammo, (best for last), for 50 yd targets but I'm testing / searching with 100 yard targets. If I can get a decent group at 100 it ought to be somewhere near awsome at 50. Tomorrow is another day.
One thing for sure. A great gun can't fix sorry ammo.
I'm slowly weeding out the junk ammo.
Now cleaning barrel.
This is all new to me.

Bill H
Old 05-15-2019, 10:16 PM
prairie maggot

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
[QUOTE=cabin22;11481971]I don't think 1/4" groups at 100 yards with a .22 is a realistic expectation under any circumstances.

Neither do I, I was being facetious. Burt