Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 05-04-2019, 10:24 PM
robs9
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Dirty Little 22s

So I was over my BILs house for dinner. He mentioned that he had a bunch of 22s and really didn't know what to do with it. He's not a shooter. Will we got it out. Well most of it was pretty dirty. Loose in few boxes mixed with some other larger rounds. The really nice CCIs he wanted to keep. So I brought it home and dumped a bunch of them in my vibrator tumbler with some used walnut media. Good idea or not? Haven't taken it out to see what it looks like. I'm kinda afraid.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Old 05-04-2019, 10:42 PM
Al the Infidel
US Marines Disabled American Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I'd be worried about knocking some of the primer loose and the chore of having to relube the bullets, other than that no.
Old 05-04-2019, 10:47 PM
GreggK

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
A friend of mine tumbled some .22 to get all that darn wax off. Yep, he leaded up his barrel something terrible.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-05-2019, 10:24 AM
STEEL SHOOTER
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
dirty?

Lube is your friend....
Old 05-05-2019, 11:31 AM
truckjohn

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
You may want to dab a bit of Alox on their noses when you shoot them.
Old 05-05-2019, 01:25 PM
robs9

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
After about two hours I took a look. The majority of them cleaned up pretty good. A few of them still had some sort of crud on them. Tried to scrape off with fingernail and it felt like corrosion. So those will go into the unfired scrap can at the range.

Could I rub some paraffin on them to lube. Which I have. Really dont want to have to buy a special lube for just these.

Old 05-05-2019, 03:46 PM
Al the Infidel
US Marines Disabled American Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by robs9 View Post
After about two hours I took a look. The majority of them cleaned up pretty good. A few of them still had some sort of crud on them. Tried to scrape off with fingernail and it felt like corrosion. So those will go into the unfired scrap can at the range.

Could I rub some paraffin on them to lube. Which I have. Really dont want to have to buy a special lube for just these.

Bee's wax is better. Find a wild bee hive and swipe some bee's wax.
Old 05-05-2019, 10:35 PM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Candle Paraffin?

22 LR cartridges are hung upside down and their bullets dipped into their molten lubricant. Some use Paraffin but I don't think it is as brittle as straight up candle wax would be?

Hey Al, if he finds a bee hive he could also cook up some beef tallow and mix it in with the bees wax that way he'd basically have Eley match lubed bullets.
Old 05-05-2019, 10:46 PM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Edit: Candle wax....
My dad used Paraffin to seal jam jars. It came in squares about 1/2 inch thick. I guess those were not as hard as candle wax? CCI uses Paraffin I think exclusively. Eley uses Paraffin for certain types of their 22LR. Otherwise Eley uses Tallow/Bees wax.
Old 05-06-2019, 07:46 AM
robs9

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
So since I don't have friendly bees around here, White-faced hornet's and Yellow jackets. I'm going to try and find my blocks of paraffin and coat them with that. Problem with that is that they are all loose. I'm thinking I could put them into a CCI tray (the yellow ones) and dip them carefully.

Old 05-06-2019, 02:17 PM
US Marines Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
How about Johnson Paste Wax, a lot softer and you can push the bullet in without a lot of prep, or Prep-H.
Old 05-06-2019, 04:46 PM
Srb08

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I'd be more concerned about the powder breaking down, turning to dust and changing the burn characteristics and when ignited, resulting in a detonation instead of a controlled burn.
Old 05-06-2019, 05:31 PM
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Srb08 View Post
I'd be more concerned about the powder breaking down, turning to dust and changing the burn characteristics and when ignited, resulting in a detonation instead of a controlled burn.

That is certainly an issue with centerfire cartridges. I don't know if there's enough room in a .22LR case for it to be much of an issue, but it would sure be a concern.
Old 05-06-2019, 09:58 PM
truckjohn

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Fill up a CCI shell rack with shells. Dip the noses into a mixture of Johnsons paste wax or paraffin wax and paint thinner. Then let it dry out good. You want a nice thin coating - not a thick blobby coating.

CCI type shell holders are gold for this duty.

Off you go. Hope for the best.
Old 05-07-2019, 07:14 AM
robs9

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by truckjohn View Post
Fill up a CCI shell rack with shells. Dip the noses into a mixture of Johnsons paste wax or paraffin wax and paint thinner. Then let it dry out good. You want a nice thin coating - not a thick blobby coating.

CCI type shell holders are gold for this duty.

Off you go. Hope for the best.
Truckjohn, I had thought of the CCI rack. So I think I'm on the right track. Is there a ratio of paraffin wax to paint thinner?