Youth 22's - Crickett, Henry, or Savage? - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 04-26-2019, 02:10 PM
truckjohn

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Youth 22's - Crickett, Henry, or Savage?

Hey guys.

I want your opinions on a youth 22...

Choices I can find are:
Crickett single shot bolt action
Henry youth bolt action
Savage Rascal

What are your opinions?
*Accuracy,
*Suitable and runs right straight out of the box - don't need a gunsmith to fix the trigger or whatnot
*Can mount a scope easily and cheaply? I don't want to have to sort out another $100 worth of special scope mounts and rings...
*Ability to expand as the kids get older - this last one I am sort of worried about. I hate to buy a rifle and have them outgrow it in 2 years and not be able to get a bigger stock or extend it or whatever...

Thanks
Old 04-26-2019, 02:21 PM
SquirrelBlaster
US Air Force NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
If you're not set on a small single shot take a look at the Henry youth lever action. Its very accurate and good quality and when they outgrow it you can just order a full size stock from Henry.
Old 04-26-2019, 04:33 PM
Toomany22s
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
The. Best isnít on your list , a CZScout 455. It can do all you want and grow with the child. But pricey, $300.

On your list the Rascal is the best. The cricket has a pull back cocking mechanism which is difficult for little ones and embarrassing for bigger ones and canít grow. Iíve not shot the Henry, but it does have a magazine, which the Rascal or cricket, donít. But I donít think it can grow.

The Rascal has the Savage Accu Trigger and is quite accurate, and and easy to scope , but itís a single shot, and again canít grow.

Best bet , find a used Rascal for $100 and enjoy it. When the child grows buy another gun
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-26-2019, 09:19 PM
62Ranger13
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by truckjohn View Post
Hey guys.

I want your opinions on a youth 22...

Choices I can find are:
Crickett single shot bolt action
Henry youth bolt action
Savage Rascal

What are your opinions?
*Accuracy,
*Suitable and runs right straight out of the box - don't need a gunsmith to fix the trigger or whatnot
*Can mount a scope easily and cheaply? I don't want to have to sort out another $100 worth of special scope mounts and rings...
*Ability to expand as the kids get older - this last one I am sort of worried about. I hate to buy a rifle and have them outgrow it in 2 years and not be able to get a bigger stock or extend it or whatever...

Thanks
Years ago I bought my daughter a Crickett. She loved it and shot it a lot.
-Accuracy. We were only interested in hitting pop cans and it did that just fine. The single feed operation was a benefit while she learned gun safety.
-Suitable. Yep, the sights are plastic but work and the trigger is just fine out of the box.
-Scope. Crickett offers rings and scope, but I have never gone that route.
-Ability to expand. I may be mistaken, but I think the youth stock can be swapped out with an adult stock. For what it's worth, my daughter outgrew her Crickett. Not so much in the sense that it didn't fit her anymore, but rather she lost interest in shooting it. I have since hung that Crickett on a peg by the back door to dispatch varmints that get into the chicken coop. It has never failed me. One shot, one kill with segmented hollow points. It's a petite thing, but extremely maneuverable and dependable.

I'm positive it won't win any competitions or beauty pageants, but for a functional tool, I'll give it a thumbs up.
Old 04-27-2019, 10:25 AM
Pete44ru
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
86% (9)

My little Grandson found it too hard to cock the Cricket's cocking piece - which can be a good thing, as I was very close to him for monitoring anyway.

The very small single-shot .22's weren't readily available when I was teaching my then 7-year-old Son to shoot.

So, I thought: "I'm the knowledgeable person here, and not the child".....

I DID, however, have a Ruger 10/22 on hand, so decided to use it.

I NEVER removed the magazine in my Son's presence, and essentially told him it was an auto-ejecting single shot rifle that he'd have to lock the bolt back each time before hand feeding a round into the chamber.

It worked like a charm - right up until he got his junior hunting license @ age 11, when I showed him how to use the magazine.

Old 04-27-2019, 04:57 PM
Model 52
US Marines NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete44ru View Post

My little Grandson found it too hard to cock the Cricket's cocking piece - which can be a good thing, as I was very close to him for monitoring anyway.../
I was the rifle instructor at a summer camp during my Freshman year college summer in 1984. We had a random mix of mostly single shot rifles acquired over the years and I found that the cocking knobs on the three manually cocked single shot bolt action rifles we had in the collection were also difficult for small children to cock. Worse, if the child lost his or her grip about 3/4 of the way back an, AD could result. The first (an last) time that happened with a live round in the chamber, the rifle was safely pointed down range.

That event validated the 4 basic safety rules I had in place, and it resulted in those three rifles being retired from service at the camp - at least under my tenure.

It also permanently seared into my brain the reason why rules 1, 2 and 4 can never be broken, as rule 3 is not sufficient by itself as pulling the trigger isn't the only way to make a firearm go bang. I still have zero tolerance for the "my booger hook is my safety" crowd.

Based on that experience, when I had kids of my own and needed a youth sized training rifle, I avoided rifles like the Cricket that had a cocking knob. I went with a Marlin 15Y instead and it worked fine.

I also recommend people avoid tube fed .22LR rifles as well for youth. As much as I love the ones I own (a couple Winchester 9422s and a Winchester 1890), and despite having (or maybe because I had) a Springfield 187C when I was a sprout, I don't feel that a tube fed rifle is a good choice for a youth rifle.

It's just too hard to visually inspect the rifle to ensure that both the chamber and the magazine tube are empty. In many of them the ejection port is small and doesn't allow a direct view down into the depths of the rifle, in some the lifter gets in the way and prevents a definitive inspection, and some rifles suffer from both issues.

I never had an AD with my 187C, but I quickly discovered that having a round hang up in the tube was a less than rare occurrence, so it quickly established my low level of trust in the breed and the need to be absolutely sure the weapon was clear by observing the base of the magazine follower in the action as well as the chamber.

As an adult I got to witness a guy in line ahead of me at a gun show in Chantilly VA have an AD when he pulled a tube fed firearm out of its case - much to his horror as he'd cycled the action a couple times, noted the lack of rounds being ejected and considered it cleared.

So, no tube fed rifles for the kiddos, as there be dragons there.
Old 04-28-2019, 08:08 PM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Although a little larger than the Rascal, the Savage Mark I Y is a nice little rifle.

Mossberg 801 is a youth bolt action single shot that comes with a single shot adapter but can accept an 802 mag and is also a about the same size as the Savage Mark I.
Old 04-28-2019, 11:06 PM
Cardwiz

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Don’t get a Crickett. Cocking mechanism is not good.
Have a Savage and it has a great trigger and cocks like a real bolt action. Very accurate. Learn open sights 1st. Did mount a scope which can be a little tricky as the rifle is so small the bolt lever and rear sight can interfere. Removed the rear sight to make mounting options easier. 10/22 isn’t a bad option with a axiom stock...but it’ll be much better to teach them with a bolt that they can easily load on there own one at a time...without a single round in a mag they have to swap out (or lose)...etc.
Old 04-29-2019, 07:26 PM
Atonic

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Consider a 10/22 and cut the stock down? Easy enough to replace the stock when they outgrow it.
Old 04-30-2019, 10:46 AM
Vee3

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I have the Rascal and 452 Scout. Both nice rifles.

Son grew out of the Rascal in what seemed like 2 months and there was no adult stock available. It's a tiny gun made for a tiny child.

Scout is a full size action with short barrel and stock. It's sized for a larger/older child than the Rascal. It will fit into a larger stock and should last a lifetime. After my Son lost interest in shooting, I adopted the Scout and never changed out the stock. Didn't take long for me to get used to the shorter LOP.
Old 04-30-2019, 04:23 PM
drewerts

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Ruger has a compact 10/22 with a shorter length of pull and high viz sights.
Old 04-30-2019, 10:02 PM
ntsqd

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I'll point out something that I didn't know existed until just a few days ago. There is a one Round magazine made by Ruger for the 10/22. They apparently come with red bodies so they're easy to ID.
Example:
https://gunmagwarehouse.com/ruger-10...-magazine.html

I learned on a Stevens Favorite. It is still my favorite .22 to shoot.
Old 04-30-2019, 11:35 PM
Toomany22s

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Vee3. Still got the Rascal? I have one, scoped and on a bipod. Use a rear bag , too. Easy peazy with that little gun. I get laughed at , until , they see the 5 shot bughole group, at 50 yards. Then they just mutter in anger and disbelief

That being said , a452 scout is on my bucket list.

To the op, truckjohn, if you can swing a cz scout do it, cause it meets all your wants, othwise a Rascal is fine, either way if your Kidd grows out it, youíll still have a fun gun either way.
Old 05-01-2019, 08:02 AM
ammohog

TPC Rating: 
100% (10)
Had to make a similar choice when the Grandkids were younger. I got a Crickett, but the open sights leave a lot to be desired. Then I found a Marlin 15YS here at RFC in the classified ads for a reasonable price. Some sight parts were missing, and ordered them from Marlin, just before production was stopped. It is a beauty. It likes Wolf MT, and at 25 yards it does much better than the Crickett. Only real problem is the seasoning of the barrel takes at least 10 rounds before it really starts to shoot well. I had an old Marlin 4X scope from that period, and it is certainly accurate enough. Cleaned and borescoped, I'm happy with the results. It's a fun rifle, and it is light in weight and accurate enough for a walk in the woods. I suggest you shop around and I'm sure you will find a rifle that will meet your specifications. Good luck! ....... AH
Old 05-01-2019, 07:35 PM
A square 10

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
if you are set on a single shot , consider the thompson center arms Hot Shot , its a great first for little ones ,