Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 04-14-2019, 05:06 PM
briggleman
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
ATI GSG 1911 Honeymoon period..... Time will Tell

First a couple of qualifiers:
One: I am fairly new to handguns, shooting and hunting since 10 years old but with rifles and shotguns.
Two: Purchased my first hand gun about 3 years ago at the age of 57.

Now, with that out of the way, ..... and many handgun purchases in the last three years from 22lr to 40 cal. I have to post this:

I am presently very impressed with the GSG offerings in 22LR. From the Firefly to the 1911. Very accurate and inexpensive...... I do not use the word cheap...they are built extremely well but the price is so fantastic for the quality you receive.

Anyway, My first trip to the range today with the GSG 1911 was an eye opener!

I quit shooting at the 15 yard targets because they were way too easy. They had a Ground Hog silhouette at 50 yards. Using my "best" stance and taking my time, I could hit that Hog 75 percent of the time.... the rest were at the edge, throwing dirt on the boy. In other words, I shoot this pistol very well!!!!!
Just shooting at the GH without taking my time I was at 50%.

I also purchased a GSG firefly, about 2 months before..... and I am equally impressed. For the money....well, I will just say it.... I feel I wasted my money on the S&W and Walthers I purchased before. They may be worth more......and maybe last longer...but I will never shoot them as well.

Brad
Old 04-14-2019, 09:23 PM
osbornk

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by briggleman View Post
First a couple of qualifiers:
One: I am fairly new to handguns, shooting and hunting since 10 years old but with rifles and shotguns.
Two: Purchased my first hand gun about 3 years ago at the age of 57.

Now, with that out of the way, ..... and many handgun purchases in the last three years from 22lr to 40 cal. I have to post this:

I am presently very impressed with the GSG offerings in 22LR. From the Firefly to the 1911. Very accurate and inexpensive...... I do not use the word cheap...they are built extremely well but the price is so fantastic for the quality you receive.

Anyway, My first trip to the range today with the GSG 1911 was an eye opener!

I quit shooting at the 15 yard targets because they were way too easy. They had a Ground Hog silhouette at 50 yards. Using my "best" stance and taking my time, I could hit that Hog 75 percent of the time.... the rest were at the edge, throwing dirt on the boy. In other words, I shoot this pistol very well!!!!!
Just shooting at the GH without taking my time I was at 50%.

I also purchased a GSG firefly, about 2 months before..... and I am equally impressed. For the money....well, I will just say it.... I feel I wasted my money on the S&W and Walthers I purchased before. They may be worth more......and maybe last longer...but I will never shoot them as well.

Brad
I didn't buy my first handgun until I was in my 60s and I have now bought several and I especially like 22s. I went to buy a Firefly but got a 1911 because they were out of stock with the Firefly. I am glad I got the GSG 1911-22 because it feels, aims and shoots just like my RIA 1911 in 9mm. I have other semi-auto 22s but I have gotten interested in revolvers and I have a Rough Rider 22 SAA. I have a Charter Arms Pathfinder with a 4.2" barrel on order from Buds as I have always wanted a double action 22 revolver.
Old 04-26-2019, 08:59 AM
briggleman

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Just an update on my experiences with the GSG 1911.

First, it shoots both standard velocity and high velocity just fine. I have also been shooting the Winchester M22 subsonic 45 grain ammo with no issues. The new manual makes reference to the fact that it now will function reliably with the newer standard velocity ammo.

I have yet to break it down, just cleaning the barrel with a bore snake and lubing the slide at the back.
I picked up 3 additional OEM magazines at around $19 bucks each with shipping included. They are raw (not painted) rather than the black one that comes with the gun. They are the same in all respects except for color. Very well made and heavy mags from the same company as the original. They are not sheet metal but seem to be made of the zinc alloy that the frame of the gun is made of.

At this point, I think the only modification I will be doing anytime soon is new G10 grips.

This is an excellent 1911 22lr pistol. I do recommend it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-26-2019, 11:46 AM
osbornk

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
It disassembles just like a normal 1911 except for one little pin and a screw that holds the barrel. It's easy to do but I found it was still pretty clean after 500+ rounds. It feels, aims and shoots just like my "real" 1911 but without the recoil. I have well over 1,000 rounds through mine with no issues of any kind.
Old 04-26-2019, 12:08 PM
jon p
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
Talking 2011 GSG 1911

I bought one of the early ones, and it shot excellent. my only negative thing was the slide lock notch peened bad with only a few hundred rounds. I sold it when I bought a colt/walther 1911 gold cup. I understand GSG now has a steel reinforcement pin in the aluminum slide notch to stop the peening, like the colt has. I may look into buying another GSG, the prices are really good now.
Old 04-26-2019, 12:09 PM
briggleman

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by osbornk View Post
I didn't buy my first handgun until I was in my 60s and I have now bought several and I especially like 22s. I went to buy a Firefly but got a 1911 because they were out of stock with the Firefly. I am glad I got the GSG 1911-22 because it feels, aims and shoots just like my RIA 1911 in 9mm. I have other semi-auto 22s but I have gotten interested in revolvers and I have a Rough Rider 22 SAA. I have a Charter Arms Pathfinder with a 4.2" barrel on order from Buds as I have always wanted a double action 22 revolver.

How do you like the Charter Arms Pathfinder 4.2 revolver? I have been looking at the 617 S&W, the GP100 Ruger 22 and the Taurus 992. All three get decent reviews but I seem to be leaning toward the Ruger GP100.
Old 04-26-2019, 12:32 PM
kidneyboy

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:

How do you like the Charter Arms Pathfinder 4.2 revolver? I have been looking at the 617 S&W, the GP100 Ruger 22 and the Taurus 992. All three get decent reviews but I seem to be leaning toward the Ruger GP100.
I'm also curious about the Charter Arms 22s although the snubbie holds a little more of my interest.

I've had both the Ruger GP100 22 and the 617. To me the 617 is a far better 22 revolver (I have 2 of them now).
Old 04-27-2019, 09:22 AM
osbornk

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:

I like it very much but it locked up after I shot 18 rounds through it. I immediately called Charter Arms and they mailed me a return box. I sent it back to them and it was received by them at 10:31 AM on Wednesday and I got a tracking number for the return at 8:49 AM Friday morning. I am scheduled to get it on Tuesday. With a lifetime warranty and fast service, I am glad I chose it even though it had a minor glitch.

Charter Arms and Taurus were the only double action 22 revolvers I could find for under $400 and the Taurus I was considering (only because it held more rounds) was out of stock at Buds. Also, Taurus is the only gun I ever had to send back for repairs and it took 7 weeks for me to get it back.